• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat - March 16, 2008

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: March 16, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Wildcat, NH

Conditions: PP to LG - Ungroomed pretty 'hard'

Trip Report: First trip ever to Wildcat. I think we found our new favorite mountain :daffy: - or at least the top 2 anyway (close with Saddleback).

After skiing the day before at Black Mt. in Rumford, ME we spent the night in Gorham, NH and got an early start to Wildcat. Our efforts resulted in the SECOND CHAIR of the day!

We had a blast. It was pretty much a groomer day, as the ungroomed was pretty 'firm', but for the most part was skiable. The best ungroomed was the Mountain Jag Glade under the tomcat triple. It was firm, but certainly enough snow to get an edge in on. We hit that glade a bunch of times.

Scoring second chair made some stellar early turns. By 10:30 we had done 8 runs and were raving about we just did and what was coming next. Everything groomed was good. We especially liked the Catapult runs from the top... lots of winding turns. The Lynx series was good but got scraped off in sections by mid day. Polecat was a blast with lots of small side jumps to have fun on. We all loved how all the trial winded around the mountain... always and adventure seeing what was around the next corner!

The parking lot was pretty full by mid-day, but we waited maybe a couple of minutes in the lift line a few times. Once in a while the trials got crowded at the top, but once 1/3rd of the way down it opened right up.

It was probably in the 20's at the top, and close to 40 at the bottom. The top half fogged in mid-day which made it tough, but it cleared out again early afternoon. A bit of wind in the PM but not bad. We skied 8:30 to 3:30 and I think we got 25+ runs in. Phew... we are beat but happy. :)

And of course the views are simply stellar. Some pics from Catapult and Polecat:

20080316wildcat2.jpg

20080316wildcat3.jpg

20080316wildcat4.jpg

Last edited:

Mildcat

Great report. I love that first picture with Mt. Washington. Was the last picture Catnap? That's a fun trail.

frozencorn

I was there Saturday and had just as good a day. Got going a little late, so I was forced to park all the way in the back of the blue lot, which I've never had to do, thanks to the races taking place. Still, no line at the Express most of the day. Bit foggy at the top, but a fresh three inches helped to hide some of the firmness on the ungroomed trails. I had skied the Mountain Jag Glade a couple weeks ago after the big storm, and while it obviously wasn't as good as that day, it was still in fine shape. Same with Catenary, which was perfect two weeks ago, still in great shape, with freshies loosening up a lot of the bumps. Mixed conditions, for sure, but the place is in great shape.

kickstand

I was there Saturday, as well, and the conditions weren't bad. Jag Mountain glade was still very skiable. Lynx had taken a beating by noon, but you could still locate where all the fresh snow was pushed to. You just had to be ready for anything. The place seemed to get much less busy around noon even though the lots were still jammed. I didn't wait in a single line after lunch.

By 1:30 we were getting ready to pack it in. One guy took a pretty good wipe out on Lynx and whacked his head. I think he was still seeing stars. Plus, most of the trails had been skied off by then. It got to be too much work to stay in the good snow. Finished up the day with a couple of brews in the pub.

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net
We went there on Sunday too! Took advantage of the afternoon deal, only $20. Have to agree that Mountain Jag Glade was my favorite of the day, hit that a bunch of times, and the Catacomb Glade was good as well! Other trails to mention that were a lot of fun are Upper Wildcat, Upper Lynx and Upper Catapult. Great outing, glad to hear you had a great time!

ski220

One of the nice things about Wildcat is that they will open late into April for some good spring skiing whenever possible.

deadheadskier

Staff member
One of the nice things about Wildcat is that they will open late into April for some good spring skiing whenever possible.

I've got my fingers crossed that they make it until May 4th. Unless of course Mt. Snow is open until then. Then I'll be hoping for the 11th ;)

Hey a guy can dream right? :lol:

eatskisleep

I've got my fingers crossed that they make it until May 4th. Unless of course Mt. Snow is open until then. Then I'll be hoping for the 11th ;)

Hey a guy can dream right? :lol:

Hey they made it that far last season... :beer: