• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat - March 30, 2008

salsgang

Date(s) Skied: March 30, 2008

Resort or Ski Area: Wildcat NH

Conditions: PP / Hardpack

Trip Report: Another very good day at Wildcat. My wife wasn't able to join us the first trip, so we had to go back to show her the mountain.

Clicked in at 8:45am to get some early turns. The early turns were not quite as good as two weeks ago. The groomers were firm so we were not able to get the deep carves in the cord, but once we adjusted we had a sweet day of super fast groomers and surprisingly good glades.

We bombed down all the groomers. Favorites of the day were polecat, as it has lots of interesting side jumps for the kids (and the old man). I really liked Middle Catapult. Somehow we missed this black groomer last time and it really screamed today. Alleycat and Cougar were fine as well.

Ungroomed trials were a bit sketchy. They got 5 inches on Friday, but a lot had blown off. You had to pick your spots to make sure you turned in some snow. I went down Hairball and about threw up a Hair Ball :puke:. Way to much steepness, ice and rocks for me. Would like to try it again with more snow, but I made it down OK. :-D

Mountain Jag Glade was actually very good. The 5 inches stuck around in the woods, and made for some very good turns.

It was a bit chilly and breezy early, but it calmed down, warmed up nicely and seriously did not see a cloud all day. Sure made Mt. Washington shine.

Some pics:

Looking down Midway:
20080330wildcat1.jpg

Mountain Jag Glade:
20080330wildcat2.jpg

Either Upper Catapult or Middle Wildcat..?
20080330wildcat3.jpg

Last edited:

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Middle, I think, for the last picture.

We arrived at noon and what a deal - $20 to ski out the afternoon! I thought when we got up there that the sun, and you early skiers, had done a terrific job softening and cutting things up such that we had an amazing afternoon. It was my first time at Wildcat and it really was a fun place to ski. Constantly turning and twisting groomers made for great stretching-out of the legs, and I had a blast in Catacomb and down Panther (that last bit ... phew!). Una_dogger even did Panther, her first major bump run, though she's really a full-throttle groomer skier.

Run of the day for us: Upper Catapult -> Middle Catapult -> Alley Cat.

I'm sporting the skier tan at work today. Wildcat is now on my definitely-next-winter list. :)

salsgang

It was my first time at Wildcat and it really was a fun place to ski. Constantly turning and twisting groomers made for great stretching-out of the legs... Wildcat is now on my definitely-next-winter list. :)

Totally agree. Wildcat's trails have tremendous character... and this mountain is definitely on our list of fun places to go. I am looking forward to a visit to the mountain after a big snow dump.