• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wildcat's HSQ???

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was checking out chairlift.org and talking with some other skiers a few weeks ago, I noticed that they run the HSQ as a gondola in the summer. Why not run the gondola (i.e. the NEW gondola cabs) all year long instead of an HSQ? It would recreate the ORIGINAL Wildcat feel now that the old gondola is gone :wink:

http://www.chairlift.org/wc.html

RISkier

Certainly don't know this as fact but I'd speculate that the distance between gondola cars would need to be conserably greater than between chairs. Therefore, lift capacity would be lower when configured as a gondola.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It would recreate the ORIGINAL Wildcat feel now that the old gondola is gone
most certainly not!!! the original wildcat feel is long gone. actually, the original wildcat feel was hiking for your turns on the wildcat race trail, but still... even the wildcat of 50s-90s is long gone regardless of the gondi.

likely the wind would be a problem during the winter time whereas wind can more easily blow through a chairlift it might create even more wind holds than wildcat already has. additionally, i would suspect distance between chairs/cabins, up hill capacity, number of chairs, etc. all factor into this decision.

awf170

they dont have enough gondolas, and besides that i dont really know, wind i think is a problem, i dont think up hill capacity is a problem... look at stowe, that things dumps tons of people out... way to many for that area, but thats a diffent topic.

GloryHole

but still... even the wildcat of 50s-90s is long gone regardless of the gondi.
I totally disagree! The HSQ has made it even better, and the new terrain they have opened (hairball, Al's Folly, new glades) have made it better. Other than that, it's exactly the same ol'Wildcat :wink:

awf170

GloryHole said:
I totally disagree! The HSQ has made it even better, and the new terrain they have opened (hairball, Al's Folly, new glades) have made it better. Other than that, it's exactly the same ol'Wildcat :wink:

Ya i like it except when it is below zero and you have to ride up that freezing cold quad, i also used to like the summit lift.

eatskisleep

One reason is capacity the other is that unless you have something like a tram, why not just keep your skis on and keep the walking for going into the lodge.

sledhaulingmedic

The old sunnapee summit lift was fg chair in the winter and a Gondi in the summer.

I'm not a big fan of Gondis. Taking the skis on and off (especially tele) is a pain. Th wind hold issue can be a big problem as well. If it's that cold, I'll just take a break every half dozen runs or so.

thetrailboss

Staff member
GloryHole said:

Welcome to the forums, GloryHole. Great to see you in here and hope to see more of you in here :wink: