• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

"world champions"

SKIQUATTRO

I dont get it...in baseball, football, basketball, the winners are deemed "World Champions".....have i missed the games where teams from other countries have played? Soccer has a legit "world cup", teams from around the world play...little league has a legit "world series"....

Congrats to the SF Giants for the Series Win, but as far as i'm concerned, they are not "world" champions...North American yes (cant forget the teams in Canada), but "world",,,,no.

bvibert

Staff member
I dont get it...in baseball, football, basketball, the winners are deemed "World Champions".....have i missed the games where teams from other countries have played? Soccer has a legit "world cup", teams from around the world play...little league has a legit "world series"....

Congrats to the SF Giants for the Series Win, but as far as i'm concerned, they are not "world" champions...North American yes (cant forget the teams in Canada), but "world",,,,no.

Not that I give a crap about baseball, but I agree.

One question though; do other countries have professional baseball teams, or do they realize that it's a horribly boring sport and not bother?

Warp Daddy

OK I'll bite with a huge dose of sarcasm

Aw c'mon we're ALL :D :D sorry that the Mets and Yanks didn't advance :D:D but the Giants are "World" Champs -- that's just the way it is - We invented both the game and the rules and we BUY all the BEST players from the rest of the world up to play In OUR leagues :D:D ( tongue in cheek)

ctenidae

The Japanese play baseball, but don't compete in the World Series.
I guess "Representatives From Two Arbitrarily Assigned Leagues From One Continent Championship Series" just doesn't ahve the same ring to it.

Geoff

It's "World Series" and "World Champions" because the US is better than anywhere else in the world. We reclaimed the Expos. We either need to invade Ontario or get those pesky Jays back on American soil. It was a national disgrace that we didn't nuke Toronto in 1993 prior to the Jays winning the World Series. We should have burned Philly to the ground for the Phillies allowing it to happen.

bvibert

Staff member
Seriously, how do we know we're the best if we don't let other countries play too? Or do we just assume that they can't afford steroids at the same level that we can?

mondeo

It's "World Series" and "World Champions" because the US is better than anywhere else in the world. We reclaimed the Expos. We either need to invade Ontario or get those pesky Jays back on American soil. It was a national disgrace that we didn't nuke Toronto in 1993 prior to the Jays winning the World Series. We should have burned Philly to the ground for the Phillies allowing it to happen.
Nuking Toronto in 1993 would have been after they already won their first one in 1992. It just would have limited the shame and eliminated one of the best teams of all time.

mondeo

Seriously, how do we know we're the best if we don't let other countries play too? Or do we just assume that they can't afford steroids at the same level that we can?
Umm, David Ortiz, Dice-K, Ichiro, Manny, Jose Bautista, ..., are all international players. Because of the U.S.'s historic importance in the sport, it's just that the highest level of play is in MLB. Similar for the NHL - there are other leagues, but the best players come to North America. American Football is, well, almost entirely American. World Cup is only once every 4 years, it's closer to the Olympics for Hockey or the World Baseball Classic for baseball. NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA are closer to the Champion's Cup than the World Cup.

While we're picking on this, how is the NHL a "National" league if it's headquartered in Toronto but has mostly American teams? And how do you have a World Baseball Classic that's only 4 years old?

SKIQUATTRO

NHL HQ is in NYC (6th ave across from Rock Center) .... i used to work there
NHL Hall of Fame is in Toronto

SKIQUATTRO

their production facility is in Tappan NJ...every game gets satelighted and recorded nightly..in the morning, a team of 4-5 'loggers' sit and watch each game logging every play, goal, penalty with incredible detail...each logger does 2 games a day, take about 4 hrs/game to log. when espn calls up and needs video of Gretzky scoring a 5 hole goal from the right side of the ice they can grab it and satelight it to espn within minutes...most of the editing, year end videos, greatest hits videos etc are done out of the Tappan location....

Geoff

Get this Canadian hockey stuff out of a perfectly good USA baseball thread. Until the NFL came along, it was our national game. I read that Steelers vs Saints had a bigger TV rating than World Series game 4. I don't know how game 5 did against MNF. Peyton Manning draws a lot of eyeballs but the pitching matchup for game 5 is as good as it gets.

bvibert

Staff member
I read that Steelers vs Saints had a bigger TV rating than World Series game 4.

That should tell you something when a game that can easily stretch 4 minutes of game time into 30 minutes of real time is found to be less boring than baseball.

Warp Daddy

That should tell you something when a game that can easily stretch 4 minutes of game time into 30 minutes of real time is found to be less boring than baseball.

yeah i know . U Know another thing that's scary ??

Look at us WTF we spend way more time ridin up than slidin down -- What does that say 'bout us ??:D:D

bvibert

Staff member
yeah i know . U Know another thing that's scary ??

Look at us WTF we spend way more time ridin up than slidin down -- What does that say 'bout us ??:D:D

No one ever claimed that skiers were a particularly well adjusted bunch. :lol: