• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

jimmywilson69

In the past hasn't sugarbush's approach been to work down low when they have the temps? They are probably just rolling with that on pushover to tryout their new setup and because they have the temps at the base.

cdskier

As you all know I speculated that GH would be earlier than past years due to new pipes etc., but never expected it be first! When I saw no guns up high on the cam my first and only thought was a technical issue. Go figure.
That was actually my first thought too. Actually my thought process when I saw no guns up high was as follows..."Maybe they're doing Spring Fling first. Nope. Maybe they have an issue? Oh, maybe they decided to do GH first. Yup, that's what they're doing"

teleo

I'm thinking same as cd. Can they cover pushover with all the new toys in a few days, let it sit, groom and soft open fri. Meanwhile hammer snowball fling and open sat with 2 chairs top to bottom. Sb fling being swales and active guns for all us crazies. I sort of like it if they can pull it off. Weather seems to be cooperating.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Highly unlikely considering all the chairs aren't even on GMX (or NRX for that matter).

The kick off party mentioned is just the annual Big Kicker party. I can't recall where it was last year, but for a number of years this was at American Flatbread if I recall correctly.
Ah, OK.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Where did you see Mt Ellen? I went to the conditions page and this is what they said.

"The mountain has awakened with snowmaking operations underway up high at Mt. Ellen and on the Gate House side at Lincoln Peak. Temps look promising throughout the week, and we remain hopeful to kicking the season off soon.
Our projected Opening Day is currently Saturday, November 19th, weather permitting, but we expect to have a much better picture of if we can make that a reality as the week progresses. We will continue to share updates as we have them.
We've also been busy investing over $7 million in on mountain improvements this summer, and can't wait to have you experience our new snowmaking, grooming, and cabin cat upgrades. In the meantime, dust off those skis, make sure you have your pass, Quad Pack, or lift tickets purchased, and whip yourself into shape. We'll be skiing soon."

They were not specific on where they were opening first. I would love a mt Ellen opeing but I bet they are saving that for the racers.

Here:

According to the web site the kick off party is at Mt Ellen on Saturday
Apparently it is just their rail jam event.

Hawk

Yup they have that every year. It is just a pile of snow with one rail and they do tricks for the crowd. That is why It did not register with me.

Hawk

So no snow making on Heavens Gate at all right now. They are concentrating on Gate House so it looks like they will open with that.
Over at Ellen they have from the summit down rim run to the summit chair covered now. It looks like elbow also. The GMX has chairs on it and is spinning as well as the summit lift and the Gate house lift also is spinning. That looks like that is the plan. We will have to see what opens first.

tumbler

Yes, and they are probably doing Panorama at the summit too for the additional trail count.

KustyTheKlown

anyone know if ski vt and sugarbush will be doing learn to ski month this january? and if so, what the deal entails?

we just booked a sweet house on slide brook road for the first family ski trip in like decades. parents, siblings and their spouses, nephews, in a sweet house for three nights in January. will get the 3 year old nephew on skis, but would love to do it for like $30

this will be the first time i have reliable private vehicle shuttle service to lap slide brook. my mom and girlfriend can lap me back to the base all weekend, which is rad.

tumbler

Also they have lower rim run down to the summit lift from the top of the Northridge chair to the base of Summit lift.
It's only Rim Run A and Rim Run D (the funnel). The rest is Elbow to spread eagle.

Hawk

I have no idea what that means. I know they are doing rimrun from the summit going down past the NR lift down under the summit quadpast looking good and then all the way down to the lift. Elbow was already covered from last week somewhat.

tumbler

The map Newpy posted above is what the are running on. Rim Run A is from the summit to top of NRX. Rim Run D is from spread eagle to the bottom of Summit lift, otherwise known as the funnel. If you look at Walt's cam the trail on lookers left is Rim Run C, they are not making snow on it yet.

From here, depending on temps its either lower elbow->cruiser-> straight shot or the rest of Rim Run, upper FIS and maybe looking good. I think they are doing this for WC training and not opening MT Ellen early.

Newpylong

Also they have lower rim run down to the summit lift from the top of the Northridge chair to the base of Summit lift.
The middle portion of Rim Run is not online, just the portions I highlighted in the picture are.

Remember Ellen proper has a limited pumping capacity, they are likely at it in the good temps. The Inverness pumps are not being used yet.

Edit: sorry Tumbler I started typing before you posted the above.

Last edited:

slatham

The middle portion of Rim Run is not online, just the portions I highlighted in the picture are.

Remember Ellen proper has a very limited pumping capacity, they are likely at it in the good temps. The Inverness pumps are not being used yet.

Edit: sorry Tumbler I started typing before you posted the above
Agreed.

I image GH off due to temps, but cold enough on upper Snowball and very top of Fling still.

I bet they are working on Mt Ellen for Swiss team training pre-Killingon, and GMVS thereafter. Not to mention having that section done well before scheduled opening day.

cdskier

Agreed.

I image GH off due to temps, but cold enough on upper Snowball and very top of Fling still.

I bet they are working on Mt Ellen for Swiss team training pre-Killingon, and GMVS thereafter. Not to mention having that section done well before scheduled opening day.

If the temp at Allyn's lodge is accurate, it is 28 up there (and 32 at the base) at the moment. So I would imagine even upper Snowball is pretty marginal at the moment. I guess they're anticipating the temps dropping as the day goes on and really want to focus on the lower mountain first.

KustyTheKlown

id like to go this weekend but we have tix for mike birbiglia's new broadway show for Saturday. will wait for after thanksgiving i suppose

ericfromMA/NH/VT

i talked to a guy there today, had a question on another subject and the opening came up. The plan is to get the gate house area open and some combo of jester/organ grinder/spring fling/snowball open for the opening. Didn't talk about ME so I cant comment on that, but thats what i was told today.

Guy also said they are expecting a storm that could bring them a foot of snow this week. let hope that works out.