• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Boyne going BIG again with Doppelmayr at Big Sky

crank

I do think they will do some work to create better paths through the rocks. Having 75 skiers/boarders at a time picking their way through those rocks would be kind of a mess.

I think I would rather see a bottom to top tram like Jackson Hole's. I love Big Sky, but there is no better skiing in the U.S. than the 4k vert of almost all steep skiing off Jackson's tram. I don't think Lone Peak is configured in a way that you can really do that though?

machski

I do think they will do some work to create better paths through the rocks. Having 75 skiers/boarders at a time picking their way through those rocks would be kind of a mess.

I think I would rather see a bottom to top tram like Jackson Hole's. I love Big Sky, but there is no better skiing in the U.S. than the 4k vert of almost all steep skiing off Jackson's tram. I don't think Lone Peak is configured in a way that you can really do that though?
Not continuous steep, but you absolutely can ski from the top to the bottom of both BS village side and Moonlight Basin base. Moonlight is down North Summit lines. The reality is those skiing the top would not want to have to cycle all the way to the base to go back to the top. The mountain isn't configured like JH.

crank

I know that but it I would still like the top to bottom aspect. I suppose riding a gondola from base to bottom of tram will work... just another line to stand in. I really like long runs.

Are there runs other than Big Col. that spit you out on the Moonlight Basin side? Lst time there we were skiing Headwaters and saw a patroller picking his way like a mountain goat down the face. Looked like an adventure for sure.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know that but it I would still like the top to bottom aspect. I suppose riding a gondola from base to bottom of tram will work... just another line to stand in. I really like long runs.

Are there runs other than Big Col. that spit you out on the Moonlight Basin side? Lst time there we were skiing Headwaters and saw a patroller picking his way like a mountain goat down the face. Looked like an adventure for sure.
If we're talking about the same thing, the Big Couloir drops back to the top of Powder Seeker/the Tram. The North Summit Snowfield and the lines below that drop into Moonlight Basin. Of course one could ski Big Couloir and then ski down the Winter Bowl area and around and down into the Iron Horse Quad area, but not down to Madison Base without riding a lift.

crank

If we're talking about the same thing, the Big Couloir drops back to the top of Powder Seeker/the Tram. The North Summit Snowfield and the lines below that drop into Moonlight Basin. Of course one could ski Big Couloir and then ski down the Winter Bowl area and around and down into the Iron Horse Quad area, but not down to Madison Base without riding a lift.
You are right. I was thinking about the snowfield. I've never skied either but remembered seeing something while skiing Headwaters chutes.

drjeff

I will admit that I found this video that Big Sky posted up today about the installation work for one of the towers for their new tram really cool to watch! Wild construction site location for sure!

machski

Now it is clear why when they built the Beer Can Tram, they went with that initially. This cannot be a cheap undertaking and certainly you cannot "sneak it in" installation wise.

BodeMiller1

This is why I don't ski out west, very little snow.

As far as the building process. WTF

thetrailboss

Staff member
Now it is clear why when they built the Beer Can Tram, they went with that initially. This cannot be a cheap undertaking and certainly you cannot "sneak it in" installation wise.
An interesting video that Big Sky made a couple years back about the original tram that Everett did not approve and was not happy about.

2Planker

Not Northeast related, but WOW as a mtn ops self professed geek, these new lifts look amazing!

Since Boyne has debuted the new tech from Doppelmayr at Big Sky, wondering if we'll see more new lift installations than they've already announced/done at/for their Eastern properties in the coming years?

From Liftblog

https://liftblog.com/2022/02/15/big...0Z9N7t5D-Njxg-lxhAKPNkengRIIbeo0edjO-FPcdsUBw
Invited a few of the Dopp guys over for beers on the deck.....
They're staying in MWV while splitting crews between SR, Loaf & Loon

SR & Loaf are on schedule, Loon "mostly"
AT ground work for New Leitner HSQ is "not even close" What else is new

4960448_1_9.jpg

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

They're splitting crews between SR & Attitash.
SR is on schedule, AT "not even close"

4960448_1_9.jpg
According to SAM, Poma is doing Attitash's HSQ. Not Doppelmayr. Are these guys removing the Triple at Attitash?

thetrailboss

Staff member
Do\\\\

Correct, But they were at AT following up on something else
Ah, makes sense. And yes, for some odd reason, Poma is always SLLLLOOOOOWWW on installs. Alta's 6-Pack did not open until the end of January. Alta was not happy!

2Planker

Ah, makes sense. And yes, for some odd reason, Poma is always SLLLLOOOOOWWW on installs. Alta's 6-Pack did not open until the end of January. Alta was not happy!
$100 says the new Summitt HSQ won't be ready for Xmas week

machski

They're staying in MWV while splitting crews between SR, Loaf & Loon

SR & Loaf are on schedule, Loon "mostly"
AT ground work for New Leitner HSQ is "not even close" What else is new

4960448_1_9.jpg
How is Loon's new lift "mostly" on time? The entire thing is up, haul rope is splices even o believe. The new pod is a work in progress still, but the lift is practically around the corner from its load test.

2Planker

They keep on saying "supply chain delays" aka waiting longer for promised parts and labor....