• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do we seek?

highpeaksdrifter

I get up very early every Saturday and Sunday to travel to Whiteface, sometimes Gore. It’s dark and cold. I leave my wife behind. After work on Tues. and Thurs. nights I ski (school ski clubs). From Nov. until April my life revolves around skiing. The friends I have who don’t ski I rarely if ever see because I won’t make time for them, so relations with these good people suffer. In the off season I hike and bike to get in shape for skiing. I’m not going to work today because I was at a ski related meeting last night, (won’t bore you with details), got home too late, and couldn’t fall asleep because of a change in policy that really ticked me off. We’re constantly looking for a second house in Lake Placid that we can afford. I spend countless hours in ski forums where I could be doing something more productive.

The point of this rant is I don’t know what I’m doing anymore. My whole life revolves around skiing, planning skiing, ski related business, and ski related activities. I’ve done this too myself and I need to find some perspective.

I don’t know how much sense I made, but it felt good to get that off my chest, thanks for listening.

Last edited:

koreshot

You forgot to mention how you check bottomless SAC every 10 minutes, including in the middle of the night, to make sure you don't miss out on a good ski related deal. Or am I the only one doing this?

dmc

Sound like skiing is part of your essense...
Don't let anyone or anything change that..
Cause then you wouldn't be you..

Ski Diva

Website
www.skidiva.com
It sounds to me like even though you clearly love skiing, all the other stuff is putting a damper on it for you.

Maybe it's time you got rid of some of the peripheral stuff -- at least the stuff that drives you crazy -- and just concentrate on the stuff you really like.

Just my two cents.

SKIQUATTRO

as Jake says....Do what you like, like what you do......keep at bro, we only go around this taco stand once.....

JD

Website
hotmail.com
I hear you. I felt the same way. My problems were solved by not buying a pass. I no longer felt the need to get enough days to make it worth it. I go when the snow is good, don't ride the lifts, and all the "pressure" is off. Try it, just for a season. It's liberating.

Greg

Staff member
keep at bro, we only go around this taco stand once.....
Well said. We're all headed for the boneyard someday so live life now. You don't want to have any regrets when you can't physically ski any longer.

And HPD - you probably speak for most of the active members here. With that said, just don't let your love for the sport negatively affect other important aspects of your life. You can ski all you want and still be a good father, husband, friend, employee, etc.

thaller1

As soon as the first leaf falls I come alive with anticipation. My mood is up, my energy becomes more positive and a laugh more easily.

As soon as skiing begins it becomes the topic of converstation at my house. My husband and I talk about where we are going to ski on our black out days from Sunday River..we hold our breath when the weather report comes on .... we venture out before 6:00 am on Saturdays, stop for coffee on the way to SR ...laugh and contemplate what trails will be good based on the weather...

The whole winter is a joy for us.

hammer

As soon as the first leaf falls I come alive with anticipation. My mood is up, my energy becomes more positive and a laugh more easily.

As soon as skiing begins it becomes the topic of converstation at my house. My husband and I talk about where we are going to ski on our black out days from Sunday River..we hold our breath when the weather report comes on .... we venture out before 6:00 am on Saturdays, stop for coffee on the way to SR ...laugh and contemplate what trails will be good based on the weather...

The whole winter is a joy for us.
Sounds like you and your spouse are on the same page when it comes to skiing...I'm sure that helps.

JimG.

Staff member
I get up very early every Saturday and Sunday to travel to Whiteface, sometimes Gore. It’s dark and cold. I leave my wife behind. After work on Tues. and Thurs. nights I ski (school ski clubs). From Nov. until April my life revolves around skiing. The friends I have who don’t ski I rarely if ever see because I won’t make time for them, so relations with these good people suffer. In the off season I hike and bike to get in shape for skiing. I’m not going to work today because I was at a ski related meeting last night, (won’t bore you with details), got home too late, and couldn’t fall asleep because of a change in policy that really ticked me off. We’re constantly looking for a second house in Lake Placid that we can afford. I spend countless hours in ski forums where I could be doing something more productive.

The point of this rant is I don’t know what I’m doing anymore. My whole life revolves around skiing, planning skiing, ski related business, and ski related activities. I’ve done this too myself and I need to find some perspective.

I don’t know how much sense I made, but it felt good to get that off my chest, thanks for listening.

The psychiatrist is IN; this sounds totally normal to me.

All we need now is the snow.

skiprob

It's the endorphins

The endorphin rush has only happened to me so intensely one time. It was a fine weekday in April many years ago and I was skiing on Mountain Run. I had come to the mountain that day by myself.

My skiing that day was the best ever - for me. I was doing so well, I couldn't stop. I skied beyond the point of exhaustion. The other skiers and I were cheering each other on from the trail and the chair.

I stopped to catch my breath. I looked around and admired the view. I realized I was shaking all over and it was just one of the finest days of my life.

Every time I ski, I think of that day. If I even recapture the smallest sliver of what happened to me then, I'll have a great day. I get pumped just thinking about trying to get another little piece the next time I go out.

So, I smile when I am skiing...all the time...wherever I am (well - maybe not in the men's room)...because even the suckiest day skiing is still better than most everything else. And because of that sense of excitement, I cannot help but share my enthusiasm.

Virtually all of the real hardcore skiers are cooler than anyone I have ever met. Who else but cool people would put up with all the aggravation and hassles and costs involved in skiing. Uptight folks just get too...well, uptight.

So, thanks HPD...for sharing your enthusiasm...because you are part of the fun of being on the mountain. You make it better for everyone.

JimG.

Staff member
The endorphin rush has only happened to me so intensely one time. It was a fine weekday in April many years ago and I was skiing on Mountain Run. I had come to the mountain that day by myself.

My skiing that day was the best ever - for me. I was doing so well, I couldn't stop. I skied beyond the point of exhaustion. The other skiers and I were cheering each other on from the trail and the chair.

I stopped to catch my breath. I looked around and admired the view. I realized I was shaking all over and it was just one of the finest days of my life.

Every time I ski, I think of that day. If I even recapture the smallest sliver of what happened to me then, I'll have a great day. I get pumped just thinking about trying to get another little piece the next time I go out.

So, I smile when I am skiing...all the time...wherever I am (well - maybe not in the men's room)...because even the suckiest day skiing is still better than most everything else. And because of that sense of excitement, I cannot help but share my enthusiasm.

Virtually all of the real hardcore skiers are cooler than anyone I have ever met. Who else but cool people would put up with all the aggravation and hassles and costs involved in skiing. Uptight folks just get too...well, uptight.

So, thanks HPD...for sharing your enthusiasm...because you are part of the fun of being on the mountain. You make it better for everyone.

Ah...another skier in good mental condition. Keep up the good work!

thaller1

Sounds like you and your spouse are on the same page when it comes to skiing...I'm sure that helps.

We're very lucky. We started skiing at the same time and we both fell head over heels for it....um..literally! Now, we may have our preferences and may not agree on every run we make, but that's part of the fun. At least we have something very special that we share 100%. He never has to worry about me saying, "I don't feel like skiing today"...

Skiing has changed our lives for the better.. we would never have ventured to Utah, Colorado, Vermont, Canada. and on and on..and we're just getting started. We have a world of opportunities and it makes me soooooooooooo happy! :)

midweeker

This thread prompted me to register. So greetings all
Like my handle says, I ski midweek and take a financial hit to do so. I live for winter. My wife tolerates my addiction and has even agreed to take a winter off and head to SLC for big mountain skiing within the next 3 years.
Summers are spent updating the quiver. This years additions are a pair of vintage zebra based Chubbs (basically, they are new) and a spanking new pair of Fischer FX8's I am stoked :spread:

Grassi21

Sound like skiing is part of your essense...
Don't let anyone or anything change that..
Cause then you wouldn't be you..

Word. Compromising your true self sucks. I did it for way to long.

Well said. We're all headed for the boneyard someday so live life now. You don't want to have any regrets when you can't physically ski any longer.

Being a practicing Yogi has helped me to appreciate each day in this lifetime and not let the negative stuff get me down. Skiing is a true passion of mine and I plan on doing it as much as I can for as long as my body can handle it.

But balance is important. Skiing is one aspect of who I am and not everyone around me wants to talk about the sport. That is why I come to AZ.