• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What do we seek?

Skibum_dan

This is kind of in response to wintersyndrome and Mattchuck2's comments. We are indeed at the height of our ski fever right now. Everyone is chomping at the bit to go skiing! This makes me think of those first few weeks when there are only one or two runs down the hill that everyone is confined to and the woods have no base yet. The lines are long with people starved for skiing and that one icy pitch is almost as crowded. (this would prob vary from mountain to mountain) THEN it makes me think of those last few weeks in the spring when people have had their fill. They got their powder days in and enjoyed a great season.....time to fire up the grill and work on your yard...but wait! There is still skiing to be had!! I love those last few weeks.....the snow is soft, the days are longer, it's nice and warm outside, there are more trails open usually than there are for the first few weeks of the season and perhaps the best of all, the lines are next to nothing because many people think the season is done!! Mattchuck2 comment just made me think about keeping the enthusiasm we have now for the whole season.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I get up very early every Saturday and Sunday to travel to Whiteface, sometimes Gore. It’s dark and cold. I leave my wife behind. After work on Tues. and Thurs. nights I ski (school ski clubs). From Nov. until April my life revolves around skiing. The friends I have who don’t ski I rarely if ever see because I won’t make time for them, so relations with these good people suffer. In the off season I hike and bike to get in shape for skiing. I’m not going to work today because I was at a ski related meeting last night, (won’t bore you with details), got home too late, and couldn’t fall asleep because of a change in policy that really ticked me off. We’re constantly looking for a second house in Lake Placid that we can afford. I spend countless hours in ski forums where I could be doing something more productive.

The point of this rant is I don’t know what I’m doing anymore. My whole life revolves around skiing, planning skiing, ski related business, and ski related activities. I’ve done this too myself and I need to find some perspective.

I don’t know how much sense I made, but it felt good to get that off my chest, thanks for listening.

Smoke a bowl, mang. Sheesh.

ajl50

Real simple
This is what I seek
alta_07_083.jpg

and this

alta_07_060.jpg

highpeaksdrifter

Real simple
This is what I seek
alta_07_083.jpg

It's not real simple at all, if that is what you truly seek you wouldn't live in Philly/Hoboken. There's other things to consider. Where do we each find our individual balance with skiing and the rest of our lives? That's what I was asking myself back in Oct. when I was in a more pensive mood then usual.

ajl50

That's what I SEEK...meaning I don't see it every day. Therefore given what I do and where I live that picture represents what I seek to balance the other stuff out.
I agree that if it were that simple I would move...and trust me ...I've thought about it...
However the reason I posted that is because what I seek is the silence and the beauty to balance out the stress.

highpeaksdrifter

That's what I SEEK...meaning I don't see it every day. Therefore given what I do and where I live that picture represents what I seek to balance the other stuff out.
I agree that if it were that simple I would move...and trust me ...I've thought about it...
However the reason I posted that is because what I seek is the silence and the beauty to balance out the stress.

I was looking at it more as a lifestyle choice rather then a ski trip choice. For sure, “What do we seek?” is an ambiguous question.

Alta is awesome and your pics are great.

jaywbigred

Soft - but not slushy - moguls

that are not so big as to be annoying, but not so small as to be boring

on a consistent pitch that is not so steep so as to be unenjoyable, but not so flat as to be unexciting,

that are uniform enough so as to get a good rhythm going.

dropKickMurphy

I get up very early every Saturday and Sunday to travel to Whiteface, sometimes Gore. It’s dark and cold. I leave my wife behind. After work on Tues. and Thurs. nights I ski (school ski clubs). From Nov. until April my life revolves around skiing. The friends I have who don’t ski I rarely if ever see because I won’t make time for them, so relations with these good people suffer. In the off season I hike and bike to get in shape for skiing. I’m not going to work today because I was at a ski related meeting last night, (won’t bore you with details), got home too late, and couldn’t fall asleep because of a change in policy that really ticked me off. We’re constantly looking for a second house in Lake Placid that we can afford. I spend countless hours in ski forums where I could be doing something more productive.

The point of this rant is I don’t know what I’m doing anymore. My whole life revolves around skiing, planning skiing, ski related business, and ski related activities. I’ve done this too myself and I need to find some perspective.

I don’t know how much sense I made, but it felt good to get that off my chest, thanks for listening.

Perspective?

There's a medical term that describes your affliction:
Sanity.

Let's face it, we live in a part of the world where winter sucks. We have to scrape snow and ice from our cars and driveways, it costs us a fortune to keep our homes even semi-warm, it's dark and gloomy from the time you leave your house in the morning till the time you get home from work.

The way I see it, there are several ways to deal with it:

1) Be depressed for 4-5 months every year. Complain constantly about the cold, the snow. Venture out of your shelter only when neccessary. Sadly, this seems to be the approach of most of the miserable bastards who inhabit our corner of the country.

2) Move to a warmer place.

3) Find ways to numb your mind from the bleak reality of winter. Alcohol. Heroin. Fundamentalist religion.

4) Give yourself a reason to love winter. A reason to jump for joy, while others groan in despair, at each approaching blizzard. A reason to eagerly anticipate every winter for the rest of your life as gift, as a reward for all your hard work, as a time when you can experience days of exhileration and freedom.

Terry

Perspective?

There's a medical term that describes your affliction:
Sanity.

Let's face it, we live in a part of the world where winter sucks. We have to scrape snow and ice from our cars and driveways, it costs us a fortune to keep our homes even semi-warm, it's dark and gloomy from the time you leave your house in the morning till the time you get home from work.

The way I see it, there are several ways to deal with it:

1) Be depressed for 4-5 months every year. Complain constantly about the cold, the snow. Venture out of your shelter only when neccessary. Sadly, this seems to be the approach of most of the miserable bastards who inhabit our corner of the country.

2) Move to a warmer place.

3) Find ways to numb your mind from the bleak reality of winter. Alcohol. Heroin. Fundamentalist religion.

4) Give yourself a reason to love winter. A reason to jump for joy, while others groan in despair, at each approaching blizzard. A reason to eagerly anticipate every winter for the rest of your life as gift, as a reward for all your hard work, as a time when you can experience days of exhileration and freedom.
That has to be the post of the day!! I agree totally. I know people that just piss and moan all winter about the cold, snow,etc. Get out and enjoy it. :beer: