• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blocked P-paths

Greg

Staff member
If you come across a blocked pussy path, it's blocked for a reason. Ride the "right" way and certainly don't go through the effort of unblocking.... :smash:

bvibert

Staff member
Or, even worse, unblocking it and then blocking the real trail. :smash:

2knees

pardon my ignorance, but why is it a big deal to unblock it?

JD

Website
hotmail.com
The worn trail bed is our impact in any given area. The trail is built and approved. If a trail appears next to the original trail, it doubles our impact. It is basic trail user 101. Stay on the exsisting trail. Also, people ride trails to be challenged. Sometimes you get sucked into the GFR (girl friend route) and miss all the fun features you're there for. If you can't ride it, walk your bike.

2knees

The worn trail bed is our impact in any given area. The trail is built and approved. If a trail appears next to the original trail, it doubles our impact. It is basic trail user 101. Stay on the exsisting trail. Also, people ride trails to be challenged. Sometimes you get sucked into the GFR (girl friend route) and miss all the fun features you're there for. If you can't ride it, walk your bike.

thanks for the explanation.

Greg

Staff member
I'm not much of a tree hugger type, but I look at it this way. There is a real misconception out there that mountain bikers cause significant trail damage and erosion. Multiple routes/shortcuts/pussypaths just compound this problem. If we want to preserve or hopefully expand the number of areas where we can ride (or not draw additional attention to areas where we are not supposed to...) respecting braid blocks is important. It's the same reason why I don't ride sensitive (read: muddy) areas when it's rained recently, and when I do come across a mucky section, I pedal lighty, try to ride any armoring that's in place, or just walk it.

sLoPeS

its gonna happen...

people who are just learning, dont ride much, or flat out just dont care, do not realize what they are doing and how it impacts the trails. ive yelled at friends before and have been told to STFU! my eyes nearly came out of their sockets. u almost have to dummy-proof the trails, and make it very clear that this is the trail. thorn bushes do the job 99% of the time.

bvibert

Staff member
people who are just learning, dont ride much, or flat out just dont care, do not realize what they are doing and how it impacts the trails. ive yelled at friends before and have been told to STFU! my eyes nearly came out of their sockets. u almost have to dummy-proof the trails, and make it very clear that this is the trail. thorn bushes do the job 99% of the time.

The path that Greg is talking about was really more of a short work trail to cut off part of a loop. Some guys used it when they were building bridges and such near by. It inadvertently got ridden more and more until it looked like part of the real trail, I even rode it a few times not knowing any better. A week ago or so a few guys took some time to completely cover the whole thing with a bunch of dead fall, not just a little at the ends, the pile was a couple feet high on the whole trail (it's really short). This short little trail doesn't go around anything hard or techie, it just cuts off a fun twistie little loop. Yesterday someone not only took the time to remove all of the dead fall, but they used it to completely block the actual trail, making it impassable.

That's pretty dicky if you ask me.

sLoPeS

The path that Greg is talking about was really more of a short work trail to cut off part of a loop. Some guys used it when they were building bridges and such near by. It inadvertently got ridden more and more until it looked like part of the real trail, I even rode it a few times not knowing any better. A week ago or so a few guys took some time to completely cover the whole thing with a bunch of dead fall, not just a little at the ends, the pile was a couple feet high on the whole trail (it's really short). This short little trail doesn't go around anything hard or techie, it just cuts off a fun twistie little loop. Yesterday someone not only took the time to remove all of the dead fall, but they used it to completely block the actual trail, making it impassable.

wow...

:uzi: (them)

Trev

Well, I have to admit it did make me chuckle a little bit.. the whole "in your face" thing..

Dicky though..

o3jeff

Where are you guys talking about were someone keeps unblocking the pp and blocking the real path? Is it by the logs on Hinmans about halfway down that has a little ramp nailed on it if heading south, but if heading north it looks nearly impossible to go over? I tried to keep an eye out for it last night but wasn't really sure.

bvibert

Staff member
Where are you guys talking about were someone keeps unblocking the pp and blocking the real path? Is it by the logs on Hinmans about halfway down that has a little ramp nailed on it if heading south, but if heading north it looks nearly impossible to go over? I tried to keep an eye out for it last night but wasn't really sure.

The one that I was talking about is in the warm-up twisties (jug-a-lug) by the two a-frames and small drop.

There is another one by the southbound ramp on hinman's, that they are talking about on Crankfire. That log is nearly impossible to ride going north, at least I can't make it. They're talking about trying to make it more passable in that direction in hopes that people will stop using the p-path.

AdironRider

Here on Teton Pass the FS has mandated that all downhill trails have to have pussyfoot bypasses for the folks who dont want to do the drops, gaps, and whatnot, but there are at least two mandatory log rides (one 15 footer over a ten foot ravine, and a 30 footer over a river). These could be walked over, but when I first went down the trails I found it to be more of a challenge to try and balance myself and walk a bike over a 8 inch wide 30 foot long log than it was just to sack up and ride it. Not wanting to fall into 36 degree water is a damn good way to get good at log rides realll quick.

I have no problem with these pussyfoot trails. They open up the trails to more ability levels, and if implemented properly do not cause that much harm to the surrounding landscape.