• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How about a helmet thread?

catskills

All this being said... I'm noticing a lot more helmetless heads this year...
I am noticing a lot more helmets on the mountain this year. I am against forcing folks to wear a helmet. I am all for less Government and pro personal choice. That said, I think its a good idea to wear them. I still enjoy spring skiing without a helmet but I think for me this is about helmet fit more than anything. My Giro Fuse helmet fits great with a BALACLAVA. Unfortunately a BALACLAVA is to warm for spring skiing. I saw a helmet that has a size adjustment that will tighten up the helmet when not wearing a BALACLAVA. I believe its the Giro G10. Anyway I got to do some more Helmet shopping.

I still respect people that ski and ride without a helmet. Its their choice. If you hit a person without a helmet and hurt them, then its your fault and you should pay for their $10,000+ helicopter ride.

Last edited:

Geoff

All this being said... I'm noticing a lot more helmetless heads this year...

I don't know anybody who crossed back to a hat. I have a few friends who never went helmet but it's a pretty short list among the every-weekenders. All the kids in the structured programs have to wear them. I haven't notice any park rats without helmets.

dmc

If you hit a person without a helmet and hurt them, then its your fault and you should pay for their $10,000+ helicopter ride.

Pretty sure your joking... I hope at least...

Cause if someone jumps out in front of you on an expert trail and you can't slow down and hit them... then bad for them... I'm not paying for some gaper that can't take the time to look up hill before starting on a trail(part of the "code")...

These intermediate types need to learn a bit about the physics of skiing before they start with the uphill skier bullshti..... I'm sick of people hiding behind the "code" and not being responsible..

dmc

I don't know anybody who crossed back to a hat. I have a few friends who never went helmet but it's a pretty short list among the every-weekenders. All the kids in the structured programs have to wear them. I haven't notice any park rats without helmets.

May just be a Hunter midweek thing..

tjf67

sno boarder was taken off the hill yesterday with a head injury. He had a helmet on. If he did not I think he would have been taken off in a body bag.

His buddy riding with him did not have a helmet on. I told him good thing it was your buddy that his his head cause if it were you you would be dead. He got the point

Good think I had my helmet on. First fall of theyear happened in the locker room. Hit the concrete and BAM I was on the ground. Helmet worked

catskills

Pretty sure your joking... I hope at least...

Cause if someone jumps out in front of you on an expert trail and you can't slow down and hit them... then bad for them... I'm not paying for some gaper that can't take the time to look up hill before starting on a trail(part of the "code")...

These intermediate types need to learn a bit about the physics of skiing before they start with the uphill skier bullshti..... I'm sick of people hiding behind the "code" and not being responsible..
I was not joking. Looking up hill before entering a trail is part of the code. If you hit them when they enter the trail and they did not look up hill it should not be your fault. Are they going to get money from your home owners insurance? YES they will.

I knocked my buddy down on Racers Edge. I had a nice thing going on the left side of Racers Edge. My friend was on the right side. I was going probably 30MPH and he was doing may 15 MPH when he decides to traverse all the way over to the left edge of the trail. I did not want to slow down because I was having a blast over their in the snow on left edge of the trail. I figure ok he will eventually turn and go back but he didn't . Not knowing which way my friend was going to turn. I decided to just put the brakes on. I just barely touched him and he fell. It was still my fault. I take full responsibility. Nobody got hurt.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I love my helmet for many reasons. Mostly because it keeps my head warm and it has speakers in the ear pads. When the weather gets warm, I just take the ear pads out.

dmc

I was not joking. Looking up hill before entering a trail is part of the code. If you hit them when they enter the trail and they did not look up hill it should not be your fault. Are they going to get money from your home owners insurance? YES they will.

If I'm hammering down the side of an expert trail and some intermediate gaper just starts out in front of me without looking up - and I hit him..

It is not my fault... He failed to look up and therefore it's his fault... He failed to look up the trail before starting.. Code #4... FAIL!!!

I don't care what ANYONE says...

Greg

Staff member
I started wearing one in 2005 I believe. I'll skip it if skiing soft snow in the spring (above say 50 degrees). A few years ago, people that wore helmets looked weird to me. Now it's the other way around. I figure it can't hurt and I wanted to set an example to my kids that it's a good idea to wear one.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Whether you're talking pros making a living or recs out skiing, it still boils down to the same argument.

or it will.....

guess so :lol:

the initial point of the thread regarding people's feelings on PROS who choose not to wear helmets despite the potential lost of income has vanished.

oh well, I tried.

dmc

the initial point of the thread regarding people's feelings on PROS who choose not to wear helmets despite the potential lost of income has vanished.

oh well, I tried.

I guess it depends on the pro....

If they don't wear a helmet and for some reason that "look" makes them popular and they get endorsements.. then I guess it won't matter if the injury isn't that bad...

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com

oh well, I tried.

Strickly speaking about the professionals, I don't think that a helmet would help them that much if they were to fall 30 feet into the side of a halfpipe.

From the NYT article that was quoted last week:

“when you look at the really serious head injuries, helmets aren’t much help.” If you hit a tree at “speeds common in skiing” — 30 miles per hour or more on steep slopes — “you will exceed the capacity of the helmet to save you.”

Once again, before everybody yells at me, I am only speaking about the professionals doing quadruple backflips 30 feet in the air. Not you or me skiing in-bound glades, slackcountry, or even backcountry.

speden

Watched about 45 minutes of the snowboard half pipe comp from Breckenridge. It seemed that better than 75% of the competitors I saw were not wearing helmets.

I think not wearing a helmet would give a competitive advantage. You could see and hear better, and your head would have less mass so you could look around quicker.

Plenty of people will take risks for even a slight advantage in a competition, so for that reason they should protect the competitors from themselves by requiring that they all wear a helmet.

mondeo

Strickly speaking about the professionals, I don't think that a helmet would help them that much if they were to fall 30 feet into the side of a halfpipe.
The side of a half pipe wouldn't be that bad, the flat would be. If you catch an edge on the side, and fall that way, it wouldn't be that much different than catching an edge on the flats, where a helmet can help.

It all comes back to a helmet reducing the severity of an injury- it won't save your life every time, it'll reduce injuries other times. The offseting factor in pro sports is image - if you've established an image without a helmet, you may risk sponsorships if you add one. Plus you're setting yourself up for a good helmet sponsorship - "I thought helmets were uneccesary until I had a concussion that put me out for a month."

deadheadskier

Staff member
For real?

Sorry Tomato, we can't have you in our American Express commercials anymore now that you wear a helmet. :lol:

catskills

If you have a helmet manufactured in the last couple of years you can easily remove the liner(most are held in by velcro) and the earmuffs so using it during the spring is not a problem. It also great so you can wash it when it gets real stinky.
The problem I have is the helmet is too loose after removing liner. A loose helmet has tendency to roll over my eyes, which means truly zero visibility. I really don't want to buy a second helmet just for spring time skiing.