• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

stolen ski equipment

gmcunni

oh the irony..... today my ski lock got stolen! :-o

had to be my fault, i must have forgotten to spin the numbers when i left the lock attached to a rack at the base of the mountain when i went out to ski.:oops:

but seriously, who goes up to a lock on a rack to check if it was left unlocked? WTF!:angry:

oh the irony..... Today my ski lock got stolen! :-o

had to be my fault, i must have forgotten to spin the numbers when i left the lock attached to a rack at the base of the mountain when i went out to ski.:oops:

But seriously, who goes up to a lock on a rack to check if it was left unlocked? Wtf!:angry:

lmbfao!!!

gmcunni

ok, this is just sad. in all my years of skiing i've never had my skis or poles stolen. Yet today i had MY SECOND LOCK stolen :blink: WTF

i could swear i learned my lesson the last time and i always spin the numbers when i leave the thing attached to the rack while i'm skiing but really, even if i forgot. what are the odds that

A. people actually check the locks sitting there to see if they're open
B. it happened to me twice!

oh the irony..... today my ski lock got stolen! :-o

but seriously, who goes up to a lock on a rack to check if it was left unlocked? WTF!:angry:

ClownSki

you guys are concerned enough about skis being stolen that you get locks?

damn, i must be very naive :(.

deadheadskier

Staff member

I think it depends somewhat on what gear you're on. Most of the gear I use right now is pretty dated and low target. Only thing I could see a thief targeting of mine is a set of Marker Dukes on one particular pair of skis.

That said, locks are so compact and easy to use now, it's of minimal hassle. If for some odd reason someone walked off with my dated gear, it would cost me in the nieghborhood of $400 and potentially much more than that to replace what was stolen.

for that reason I tend to lock my gear up most of the time

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
We always recommend them, just in case. Stuff happens... better safe than sorry.

Gary, sorry lock #2 was stolen. Maybe you should keep lock #3 in your pocket. ;)

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
ok, this is just sad. in all my years of skiing i've never had my skis or poles stolen. Yet today i had MY SECOND LOCK stolen :blink: WTF

i could swear i learned my lesson the last time and i always spin the numbers when i leave the thing attached to the rack while i'm skiing but really, even if i forgot. what are the odds that

Damn! Good thing they only cost $10. If I see one on sale somewhere, I'll post up a link.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com

Yes. At Blue Mountain, they have had problems with equipment thefts in the past so now they offer a free ski check.

If I'm anywhere else, I lock up my skis, even if I'm just running in for 5 minutes. I'd be pissed as hell if my Hot Rods were
stolen. You really can never be too safe.

Bobt2ski

Now you know what to ask for Christmas!!!!!!

mlctvt

I've got a question as how you guys lock your skis to the racks? I have a small retractable cable lock but the cable length isn't long enough to go through the back binding brake mount and up to the rack. My only option is to turn the skis over so they're resting on their tips then the back binding is close enough to the rack to lock it. It looks kinda weird.
Are there longer versions of the retractable cable locks out there? Or do you lock the skis to the ends of the racks where there are down tubes but no rests?

gmcunni

I've got a question as how you guys lock your skis to the racks? I have a small retractable cable lock but the cable length isn't long enough to go through the back binding brake mount and up to the rack. My only option is to turn the skis over so they're resting on their tips then the back binding is close enough to the rack to lock it. It looks kinda weird.
Are there longer versions of the retractable cable locks out there? Or do you lock the skis to the ends of the racks where there are down tubes but no rests?

90% of the time i find a spot at the end of a rack and there is a side pole to attach to. i've heard there are longer cables but i've never found one in the "cheap" price category. i often ski with another person so when i can't get an end spot we just lock the skis together. they are still stealable but still less convenient than grabbing the next pair over that isn't locked to another set.