• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What's your DIN setting?

gmcunni

if OP wants to start a dick waving thread why is it Riv's job moderate it, can't it just be ignored. Nick can squash it if he likes, he's the sheriff.

besides, is it really any different than other threads where people brag about tight trees, insanely steep trails or monster bumps that they've mastered, calling out others as weak because they can't do the same?

I think my DIN is set to 8. factory recommendation is 7 based on the weight i tell the tech but then i bump it up 1 more because i lie about my weight due to embarrassment.

btw, i agree to some extent, this thread really has no basis for legit discussion. a skinny kid with a 8 din might be more "off the chart" than a fat slob set to 10 or 11.

bvibert

Staff member
Who's moderating anything?

You guys are being a little harsh on riverc0il, imho...

Puck it

Who's moderating anything?

You guys are being a little harsh on riverc0il, imho...
Harsh, I think it was the other way around. I have met Riv at Cannon a couple of times. He can come off like that if you do not know his persona on here. Nothing was meant by it, just pointing out the OP's position was valid.

Puck it

26.5 mondo which translates to 308 bsl on the Factors and 307 bsl on the WC 120s. 9.5 is my chart recommended DIN because I indicated that I was a Type III+ skier. My ski backpack has a Pozi 3 screwdriver just in case. I like playing with numbers.;)

I actually have mine set to 22/7 (or ~ 3.1415926). A little low but it works.

gmcunni

a. none of this really matters, it is a ski chat site, say what you like to whom you like as long as it isn't offensive*
b. riv's first comment was funny, IMHO. his 2nd post made it sound , to me, like this was a taboo subject based on the potential safety issue of over-cranking your din. which if said sarcastically would have been even funnier but my expertise in reading text on the internet says it was a serious comment, not a sarcastic one.

* as deemed by Nick

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
I still think the conversation is good. And now we all know that we shouldn't crank up our DIN's just to impress each other with how DIN-y-ness we are.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Mine says 8.5 as well.

What the hell is 3+? The description says, "Type 3+ - For skiers who desire visual indicator settings higher than settings for a Type 3 skier."

I read that as basically; "this isn't really a setting you should use but if a higher number makes you feel better than go nuts"

gmcunni

i like that site, any time i get put in an age bracket that includes 18 -30 i'm happy.

i like the chart too, i'd found a copy of this a few years ago

MarkerDinChart0708_sm.jpg