• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Will New England See a New Ski Area In the Next 20 Years?

bigbog

....I think we need to loosen up and be a bit more like Canada

Can't disagree with ya' MMW...there's definitely some room...imho. But as far as Canada is concerned...you mean HUGE...right? Washington isn't the only money hungry piece of government, Canada is a very wealthy country in minerals and is making shambles of many beautiful areas and has dammed up countless pristine streams for our thirst for power. Seems like beaurecrats(sp?) grow up everywhere..and all share the belief that nothing is as priceless to the planet as another shopping mall.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
FWIW Kearsarge is a state park but I would not be surprised if folks skied it back in the day since there is a road up the south side IIRC.

deadheadskier

Staff member
View attachment 6998

This is a picture from the top of the scar on Bigelow that you referenced. That is one outdated snowmaking system. But damn that looks like fun steeps!

Isn't that Sugarloaf? Looks like the top of the Whiffletree Quad at the base and the condos in the distance below it. Though I can't figure out what trail that is with the snowguns. Top of Bubblecuffer maybe? Can't recall if it has snowmaking.

Gnarcissaro

View attachment 6998

This is a picture from the top of the scar on Bigelow that you referenced. That is one outdated snowmaking system. But damn that looks like fun steeps!

You're kidding, right? So Bigelow has a detach and condos at the base? ;)

Edit: Isn't this looking down Misery Whip @ SL? lol

If you click on the link soposkier provided above...

The Bigelow Boys' ski trail was at the eastern end of the range in the area of Safford Brook, from accounts I've read. Not in the area of this old cut on West Peak.

Last edited:

Big Game

Wow. That a buzz kill. I ran a ton of models. But yeah, that's a desert, even though it's huge. Dorset was always my pipe dream. Aeolus, the smaller shoulder to the south actually catches a lot more snow, but you'd never be able to justify the expense of getting into Dorset hollow.

ScottySkis

http://nyskiblog.com/magazine/#nabble-td2551736 Info on BearPen and how close we were to getting another hill open in the Catskills.:-:)-(
mountain_wide_resized.jpg

MadMadWorld

I must be missing something, but what Bigelow are you talking about, the one in Maine? Last I checked Bigelow doesn't have snow guns, lifts and condo's. :lol:

Haha I was trying to see how many people would think it's real but good catch. As well as everyone else that figured it out.

MadMadWorld

Can't disagree with ya' MMW...there's definitely some room...imho. But as far as Canada is concerned...you mean HUGE...right? Washington isn't the only money hungry piece of government, Canada is a very wealthy country in minerals and is making shambles of many beautiful areas and has dammed up countless pristine streams for our thirst for power. Seems like beaurecrats(sp?) grow up everywhere..and all share the belief that nothing is as priceless to the planet as another shopping mall.

I think we can take a page from their book in the sense that they recognize that there is at least an opportunity for compromise. Like I have said in the past, I am all for conservation but there are ways that we can do it so that both sides are happy. I mean Kicking Horse literally has a Grizzly Bear Refuge smack in the middle of it's ski resort. If the Canadians can do that, then I think we can find creative compromises about some of the issues that we face.

AdironRider

Bearpen hasnt been close for decades. You peeps need to get over that one.

Unless close is a couple land owners saying "sure thats a sweet hypothetical deal" over beers and nothing more.

ScottySkis

Looks like a lot of great natural terrain that is perfect for a ski area. How is the snowfall?

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2

I hear they average 200 inches of snow in a winter and financial backers were going to open into September 11, 2001.:(

AdironRider

I hear they average 200 inches of snow in a winter and financial backers were going to open into September 11, 2001.:(

200" maybe, but youre dreaming if you think it was that close.

By the by, it was more likely the .com bubble imploding rather than 9/11, but it was never actually in the fold outside of some guys dream. Not everything you read on the internet is true my man.

ScottySkis

By the by, it was more likely the .com bubble imploding rather than 9/11, but it was never actually in the fold outside of some guys dream. Not everything you read on the internet is true my man.

Okay but plattekill does average near 200 inches of snow and bearpen gets more then platty, DMC I believe knows a lots about Bearpen. http://ski-resorts.findthebest.com/q/1126/9119/What-is-the-average-snowfall-at-Plattekill-Mountain 190 inches in a winter:snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow:

Last edited:

Bumpsis

We will be very lucky if still have a functioning NE ski industry in 20 years due to global warming. From projections that I have seen, models are showing that we ought to expect more winter precipitation in form of rain and sleet than snow. Temperature swings (prolonged melting, followed by freeze) will only increase making people less likely to come and spend good money to ski on crappy surfaces.

ScottySkis

Also the guy I'm pretty sure is was a member of alpine zone, and he is a member of NY ski Blog, maybe you could just send him an email on it, it was pretty close and yes 9/11 and financially what happened to a lot of big companies going bankrupt had a lot to do with it.:(

tomcat

Website
tomcatoutdoors.blogspot.com
I don't necessarily need a new mountain but I would love to see Big Squaw in Moosehead Lake area get sold and revitalized. It has the trails already there and much of the infrastructure. The lifts, particularly the upper mountain need some major work and I don't think there is much in snowmaking any more but with 1700+ vert and absolutely stunning views and some decent trails already, the potential is there. I don't think it's much further out of the way than Saddleback.