• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Something is Brewing at Sundown at it's not Beer!

MadMadWorld

Ski trail degree of difficultydesignation is assigned by degree of difficulty from the top of a particularlift. Meaning there is no correlation between trails at other ski areas or eventrails at the same area accessed by other lifts. This trail is intended to bebumped up most of the time and is far more challenging than any of the otherBlack Diamonds accessed from these lifts. Hence Double Diamond is the properdesignation.

There is no standard system. If that were true, trails like Face Chutes at Jay and Tramline at Cannon would both have a double diamond designation since they are much more challenging than any other trail on the mountain.

Also, if that trail is by far more challenging than anything else on the mountain than that's pretty disappointing!

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
There is no standard system. If that were true, trails like Face Chutes at Jay and Tramline at Cannon would both have a double diamond designation since they are much more challenging than any other trail on the mountain.

Also, if that trail is by far more challenging than anything else on the mountain than that's pretty disappointing!

I think we arelooking at this from completely different perspectives. Perhaps you see it as ahype/marketing thing. Whereas I see it from the prospective of someone who hashad to sit in a room full of lawyers to explain and defend our signage policy.
I don’t think any responsibleski area would decide on a trail designation without consulting with theirlegal team and insurance company.

MadMadWorld

I think we arelooking at this from completely different perspectives. Perhaps you see it as ahype/marketing thing. Whereas I see it from the prospective of someone who hashad to sit in a room full of lawyers to explain and defend our signage policy.
I don’t think any responsibleski area would decide on a trail designation without consulting with theirlegal team and insurance company.

Well I would gather each insurance company/state is different but that just seems silly. My point in mentioning those mountains is that both mountain only have single diamond designations even though they have diamonds that are substantially more challenging than the rest of the advanced trails at the mountain.

Savemeasammy

Places that overhype their trail ratings are doing a disservice to their skiers and riders. I'm sure that more than one person has gotten in over their head elsewhere because they thought they knew what double blacks were supposed to be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

Places that overhype their trail ratings are doing a disservice to their skiers and riders. I'm sure that more than one person has gotten in over their head elsewhere because they thought they knew what double blacks were supposed to be...

I agree totally! Pats Peak, for example, labels Tornado, FIS and a few others as Double Black and one of my nephews who is a frequent skier there was skiing at Killington and thought he could handle Outerlimits. He found out the hard way that they are not the same.

Domeskier

Or worse - they are drawn to the double black for bragging rights... Nothing is quite so irritating as having to stand at the top of a zipper line and wait for a low intermediate to tumble down one bump at a time so they can claim to have skied the toughest trail on the mountain!

Savemeasammy

Or worse - they are drawn to the double black for bragging rights... Nothing is quite so irritating as having to stand at the top of a zipper line and wait for a low intermediate to tumble down one bump at a time so they can claim to have skied the toughest trail on the mountain!

I probably shouldn't complain toooooo much because I do bring my little guy in the bumps (his choice, btw), but I do try to teach him to give others the right-of-way. What frustrates me is when someone skis in front of me (especially snowplowers) when I have been waiting for someone else to get out of the way...! Please just let me go... I won't take long...

MadMadWorld

I probably shouldn't complain toooooo much because I do bring my little guy in the bumps (his choice, btw), but I do try to teach him to give others the right-of-way. What frustrates me is when someone skis in front of me (especially snowplowers) when I have been waiting for someone else to get out of the way...! Please just let me go... I won't take long...

You know what frustrates me? Standing at the bottom of a bump waiting for your skiing partner because they stopped to wait for said snowplower to get out of his way.

I know a few others can feel my pain.

Savemeasammy

You know what frustrates me? Standing at the bottom of a bump waiting for your skiing partner because they stopped to wait for said snowplower to get out of his way.

I know a few others can feel my pain.

I was waiting for this... :)

Domeskier

Agreed. That's pretty much what I had in mind. I'm fine waiting for someone who got there first. The problem is the ones who plow in afterwards. Even if they start out on the other side of the slope, they have an irritating tendency to traverse the entire trail before making a turn. I imagine they assume anyone standing at the top of a mogul run is just hesitating out of fear rather than waiting for a line to clear.

Domeskier

I think the double black designation is fine, precisely for the reasons some posters are arguing against it. While I suppose it's possible that someone who skied a double black at Sundown might think it qualifies them to ski a double black at any resort, the much more likely concern is that someone who could handle the bumps at the bottom of Gunbarrel after skiing the groomed portion up top might think they could handle the new trail just as easily if it were only a single black.

jack97

keep the questions coming i'll keep checking back throughout the day.

a freshly cut trail just dedicated for bumps......that is wicked awesome!

How many lines do you think you can place and will it have a bail out?

If the pitch is similar to upper gunny, are you still going to seed bumps on a tamer pitch so that newbies can still hone in their skills? Also, it keeps the snowplowers (both skiers and riders) from making scraped sections on the new trail.

gmcunni

While I suppose it's possible that someone who skied a double black at Sundown might think it qualifies them to ski a double black at any resort

having skied with my own (and others) kids, this is true. they don't get it that the ratings are relative to the specific mountain.