• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Something is Brewing at Sundown at it's not Beer!

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
a freshly cut trail just dedicated for bumps......that is wicked awesome!

How many lines do you think you can place and will it have a bail out?

If the pitch is similar to upper gunny, are you still going to seed bumps on a tamer pitch so that newbies can still hone in their skills? Also, it keeps the snowplowers (both skiers and riders) from making scraped sections on the new trail.

Jack... the goal with this new trail is to meet our customers expectations with high fives and cheers....

Also, we all are dedicated to skiing this trail extremely often for a multitude of really good reasons. Least of which is because it's gonna be wicked fun.

In other news! Snow making and lighting installations are underway. I'll get some photos up later.

MadMadWorld

how is it possible you are upset at something that hasn't happened yet?

attachment.php

Look's like it's already started to me!

Attachments

• Satans_Stairway.jpg
    Satans_Stairway.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 188

Domeskier

having skied with my own (and others) kids, this is true. they don't get it that the ratings are relative to the specific mountain.

Yeah, that's what makes it a bit of a tough call. If it's just a black, kids will thinks it's no harder than any other black at the mountain and could get into serious trouble on what promises to be a narrow, steep, bumped up trail unlike anything else at Sundown. From the perspective of a resort, I think this weighs more in favor of a double black designation than any consideration about how the double black designation will affect its skiers' behavior at other resorts. I guess the alternative is to designate it a black but include one of those frightening warning signs like they had at the top of Devil's Fiddle before Killington introduced the double black rating (or do they still have that? Haven't been in more than 20 years). As a kid, that sign always made take a left toward Outer Limits when skiing Bear.

dlague

Yeah, that's what makes it a bit of a tough call. If it's just a black, kids will thinks it's no harder than any other black at the mountain and could get into serious trouble on what promises to be a narrow, steep, bumped up trail unlike anything else at Sundown. From the perspective of a resort, I think this weighs more in favor of a double black designation than any consideration about how the double black designation will affect its skiers' behavior at other resorts. I guess the alternative is to designate it a black but include one of those frightening warning signs like they had at the top of Devil's Fiddle before Killington introduced the double black rating (or do they still have that? Haven't been in more than 20 years). As a kid, that sign always made take a left toward Outer Limits when skiing Bear.

Or they will ski something like Jay Peak or Cannon where they do not use the double black designation and get into trouble thinking that Sundown's trail was harder because it is listed as double black. Then again if you can ski that one successfully then you more than likely have the tool box to get yourself out of trouble elsewhere.

MadMadWorld

Is it really that much harder than the trails next to it? Just a marker that says ungroomed or moguls should be sufficient. Never been to Sundown but I think it's rather easy to tell what trail that is from the lift.

On a side note, I think it's equally as silly that Smuggs designates Black Hole as a triple diamond.

MadMadWorld

Or they will ski something like Jay Peak or Cannon where they do not use the double black designation and get into trouble thinking that Sundown's trail was harder because it is listed as double black. Then again if you can ski that one successfully then you more than likely have the tool box to get yourself out of trouble elsewhere.

Yea I really prefer the single diamond philosophy but I can understand why some mountains would have double. I always loved exploring mountains that only had single diamonds....it was an adventure every time. I will always remember the first time I skied Hairball at Wildcat or took the "wrong" entrance for Fall Line at MRG.

Domeskier

Is it really that much harder than the trails next to it? Just a marker that says ungroomed or moguls should be sufficient. Never been to Sundown but I think it's rather easy to tell what trail that is from the lift.

On a side note, I think it's equally as silly that Smuggs designates Black Hole as a triple diamond.

My guess would be that when it's not bumped up, it will be similar to neighboring the neighboring blacks. My preference would be to reserve the double black rating for trails with mandatory cliff drops and "no-fall" zones, but I don't think we'll ever get that cat back in the box. I think there is maybe one trail currently at Sundown that would warrant a black rating at a large northern New England Resort and that for only about 1/3 of its length. If we are going to criticize them for using the double black designator, we might was well criticize them for using the single black label, too. I think the relative rating system makes most sense even if there were some objective rating system. When I ski a mountain, I want to know how the trails rate relative to other trails at that mountain, not how they rate to Cannon or Jackson Hole. That being said, I agree that the triple black rating is absurd. Except at Mount Bohemia. There it's just awesome!

steamboat1

I guess the alternative is to designate it a black but include one of those frightening warning signs like they had at the top of Devil's Fiddle before Killington introduced the double black rating (or do they still have that? Haven't been in more than 20 years). As a kid, that sign always made take a left toward Outer Limits when skiing Bear.
They still have the signs. Not only the signs but some of the entrances are usually roped off allowing only a narrow space to enter the trail.

attachment.php

Attachments

• P1150007.JPG
    P1150007.JPG
    12.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Domeskier

They still have the signs. Not only the signs but some of the entrances are usually roped off allowing only a narrow space to enter the trail.

I'm ashamed to admit that I never skied DF, in no small part because of those signs. I guess they're doing their job...

Edit: The signs I remember were a little more ominous - as I recall they warned of uncontrollable falls, serious injury and death if you dared to ski DF....

Last edited:

WWF-VT

This is the most hate I've seen against Sundown...ever. And its for a trail rating?! Sheeesh, you guys are harsh!

Sundown designating a trail as a double black diamond could inflate the egos of a couple of dozen CT skiers. When they head north and ski "legitimate" double black diamond trails they might find themselves on a trail that is above their ability resulting in many tragic deaths or even worse frustrating zipper line mogul skiers behind them. My guess is that once you have mastered Satan's Stairway then Ripcord at Mt Snow will be the only challenge left for you as a Northeastern skier.