• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Rename Mount Snow to "Mount Slow"

hammer

Well then I guess if one chooses to ski SVT and not comment about poor customer service in a forum where one can voice an opinion, you deserve all the crowds you can get.
Guess it's not clear to me...how is what you encountered poor customer service?

Unfortunately, any good-sized area that has a lot of local lodging or is within easy reach of the Boston area will be crazy busy over a holiday weekend. The ski areas will do what they can but they can't have the facilities and regular staff for the occasional days when the crowds are large.

Only way to avoid waits over a holiday weekend is to go to a smaller, less known area or find something else to do.

skifree

I have been to mt snow a million times and I didn't think this weekend was all that busy. seemed like most people where inside and not skiing which is fine wiith me.

gmcunni

Unfortunately, any good-sized area that has a lot of local lodging or is within easy reach of the Boston area will be crazy busy over a holiday weekend. The ski areas will do what they can but they can't have the facilities and regular staff for the occasional days when the crowds are large.

Only way to avoid waits over a holiday weekend is to go to a smaller, less known area or find something else to do.

i had same thought... not sure how it was a customer service issue, unless OP is suggesting ( and i don't think he is) that ticket sales should be limited to ensure enjoyable experience by all.

ThinkSnow

Having to wait 45 minutes to be seated for lunch at 2pm, and an additional 45 minutes to be served (as my friends did) is one thing. I understand this could totally be avoided if we thought ahead and brought our own lunch. However, a ski area as large as this having multiple lift issues resort-wide, all weekend long is poor customer service. Without exaggeration, during both Saturday and Sunday, I had only 1 lift ride which did not stop multiple times. This includes the high-speed detachable 6-pack. Normally I never ski during holiday/school break periods for all these reasons. However, having experienced it, I'm shocked if this is considered a normal occurrence. In years past, some ski areas had been known to limit their ticket sales to improve the customer experience. From what we encountered this weekend, Mt. Slow has just lost a few returning customers.

gmcunni

Having to wait 45 minutes to be seated for lunch at 2pm, and an additional 45 minutes to be served (as my friends did) is one thing. I understand this could totally be avoided if we thought ahead and brought our own lunch. However, a ski area as large as this having multiple lift issues resort-wide, all weekend long is poor customer service. Without exaggeration, during both Saturday and Sunday, I had only 1 lift ride which did not stop multiple times. This includes the high-speed detachable 6-pack. Normally I never ski during holiday/school break periods for all these reasons. However, having experienced it, I'm shocked if this is considered a normal occurrence. In years past, some ski areas had been known to limit their ticket sales to improve the customer experience. From what we encountered this weekend, Mt. Slow has just lost a few returning customers.

Sugarbush is better away.

steamboat1

I'm not aware of any ski areas in the northeast that limits ticket sales. In fact the only place I've ever heard of limited ticket sales is Deer Valley, UT. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

hammer

I'm not aware of any ski areas in the northeast that limits ticket sales. In fact the only place I've ever heard of limited ticket sales is Deer Valley, UT. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
I thought Wachusett has been known to limit sales on occasion...but if they are at that limit I would not want to be there. I've been to DV over a holiday week where they got to the limit and it was busy but manageable.

ThinkSnow

i wish i was closer to SB, i'd love to ski there more often but a day trip is just too long (4 hours each way).

March 6-8, you could ski at Sugarbush for $279 per person (includes lifts) staying at the Sugarbush Inn (for 2 people).

(http://snosearch.com/EasternSkiing/PeakSeasonSugr.asp)

When you consider an online e-ticket at the mountain is about $70 per day, that works out to approx $70 per night for lodging.

SkiFanE

I think you made two big mistakes - that will burn you at probably many ski areas on a holiday (and every other weekend):

1) - Planning to meet up with friends on a ski mountain. No matter what...this screws you lol. BAD idea....go about your day and maybe you'll bump into each other. But if you don't start your day out together, DONT plan to meet them. Unless of course you are their to socialize and not ski. Even if we have guests staying at our house - if we don't start out together...catch them some other time - I work too hard for ski time to eff around waiting.

2) - A SIT DOWN LUNCH during a ski day?! Really? That is the dumbest thing ever - if you really are there to ski. Cant think of the last time I had a sit down lunch at a ski area - maybe a decade? I get food at the cafeteria or bring my own. But I am there to ski, not to dine trailside.

If you did not try these two things - my bet is you'd have been much happier. So don't blame it on Mt. Snow, but your bad choices on a SKI day.

Edited: Sunday River was fabulous over holidays - less people than a normal weekend. Weather/wind/bears must have scared all skiers away.

gmcunni

March 6-8, you could ski at Sugarbush for $279 per person (includes lifts) staying at the Sugarbush Inn (for 2 people).

(http://snosearch.com/EasternSkiing/PeakSeasonSugr.asp)

When you consider an online e-ticket at the mountain is about $70 per day, that works out to approx $70 per night for lodging.

i do hope to get up to SB at least 1 weekend in March. My problems (literally MY problems) have to do with a family that isn't nearly as interested in skiing as I am. wife - no ski.. daughter skis but @ 16 YO has other higher priorities, son off at school. i need a friend.

ThinkSnow

I think you made two big mistakes - that will burn you at probably many ski areas on a holiday (and every other weekend):

1) - Planning to meet up with friends on a ski mountain. No matter what...this screws you lol. BAD idea....go about your day and maybe you'll bump into each other. But if you don't start your day out together, DONT plan to meet them. Unless of course you are their to socialize and not ski. Even if we have guests staying at our house - if we don't start out together...catch them some other time - I work too hard for ski time to eff around waiting.

2) - A SIT DOWN LUNCH during a ski day?! Really? That is the dumbest thing ever - if you really are there to ski. Cant think of the last time I had a sit down lunch at a ski area - maybe a decade? I get food at the cafeteria or bring my own. But I am there to ski, not to dine trailside.

If you did not try these two things - my bet is you'd have been much happier. So don't blame it on Mt. Snow, but your bad choices on a SKI day.

First of all, Saturdays are never SKI days.

1) The friend I was meeting I have not skied with in about 8 years, so it was worth trying. Mt. Snow is not that big. It shouldn't have taken 2+ hours to get from one side to the other when the trails only take a few minutes to ski.

2) Considering the ridiculousness of the lifts, yes, we wanted a sit down lunch after standing in lines all day. I really wasn't there to ski, I was there to work actually. The skiing was supposed to be a perk. I rediscovered that its a boring mountain. We were hoping trying some amenities would improve the overall experience, but they just made it more disappointing.

slatham

You can find lifts with short liftlines at Mt Snow on a busy day. The issue you had was 1) the constraint of meeting people and 2) the poor strategy of getting there. That said, you cannot fully AVOID the crowds - you'll inevitably end up at a lift with a long line and even if you don't you will end up a run with too many people on it.

If possible, the better option is to choose an area like Bromley/Pico (or Magic with no race or Black running). You will get less vert per run, but spend more time skiing which will result in more vert over the course of the day and simply having more fun. I find a lot of people get too hung up on the overall size of a mountain and not how much of it they will actually get to ski on a busy day.

But then again if they were all smart Bromley would be more crowded so maybe I should delete this! :-D

ThinkSnow

I totally agree. Wait, no I don't.

There was no constraint in meeting with people. They were already skiing the north face. We just couldn't get there due to poor infrastructure.

Skiing someplace else isn't part of this discussion.

Last edited:

Edd

My friends and I have a sit down lunch most days we ski. "Dumbest thing ever"...LOL

Cannonball

A SIT DOWN LUNCH during a ski day?! Really? That is the dumbest thing ever - if you really are there to ski. Cant think of the last time I had a sit down lunch at a ski area - maybe a decade? I get food at the cafeteria or bring my own. But I am there to ski, not to dine trailside.

So you get food from the cafeteria, then what? Stand around eating it so you won't be so dumb as to sit down? I'm completely puzzled how sitting down can be considered "the dumbest thing ever". If I had to make a list of the "dumbest things ever" I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make the top 1,000.

SkiFanE

My friends and I have a sit down lunch most days we ski. "Dumbest thing ever"...LOL

Really? How long does it take? I wouldn't stop for lunch on most days if I didn't have a kid to meet. Tough weather days, yeah I'd grab lunch. But a day like Sunday - nowhere near a lodge. Cliff bar will do me fine. I guess I just go to ski. Socializing is secondary. Dumbest is harsh (IRL, not in net world lol) - but to me it is when I just want to ski. And if it's a good ski day, my blood would boil uncontrollably if a waitress takes 15 mins to get the bill while slopes are waiting.

Cannonball

Really? How long does it take? I wouldn't stop for lunch on most days if I didn't have a kid to meet. Tough weather days, yeah I'd grab lunch. But a day like Sunday - nowhere near a lodge. Cliff bar will do me fine. I guess I just go to ski. Socializing is secondary. Dumbest is harsh (IRL, not in net world lol) - but to me it is when I just want to ski. And if it's a good ski day, my blood would boil uncontrollably if a waitress takes 15 mins to get the bill while slopes are waiting.

I wish I was in the conditioning you are. Sometime between the first tram at 8:15 and the last chair at 4pm, I need to sit down and restore some calories and energy. My hat's off to you for going hard 8hrs on a cliff bar.

SkiFanE

So you get food from the cafeteria, then what? Stand around eating it so you won't be so dumb as to sit down? I'm completely puzzled how sitting down can be considered "the dumbest thing ever". If I had to make a list of the "dumbest things ever" I'm pretty sure it wouldn't make the top 1,000.

Sorry: sit down = wait service. It takes 5 mins to get and pay for food from cafe. And we sit down and eat :)

you are right, this is AZ - everything taken literally. You are correct, it is not the dumbest thing ever. Apologies for my generalization. I'll put it at about 10th dumbest things to do on a ski day (in all but bad weather).