• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best and Worst Parking at Ski Resorts

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm wondering if they will get a lot of complaints on lesson programs at Spruce. Will be a pain in the ass for families to have to load out of their car and take the over easy gondola over to ski school. Not sure that's a wise move eliminating parking near ski school to create a private club for the high brow folks

Smellytele

I'm wondering if they will get a lot of complaints on lesson programs at Spruce. Will be a pain in the ass for families to have to load out of their car and take the over easy gondola over to ski school. Not sure that's a wise move eliminating parking near ski school to create a private club for the high brow folks

It has been like that for at least the last 2 years

mbedle

30 minute drop off parking is available over on Spruce for families with Kids in the Adventure Center. Although with it moving into the new building this year, not sure if that will still happen.

SkiingInABlueDream

Im still surprised by all the mentions of sugarbush parking. I enjoy the climbs up to the lodge both at Ellen and Lincoln. At the risk of sounding g like a douche, it's a warmup and skiing isnt supposed to be sitting on your couch. (If you're hoofing it in ski boots or shlepping other ppls gear in addition to your own then I sympathize, but then you're doing something else wrong. :)

And I vote tram base at cannon for most scenically situated parking, at least that I can think of right now.

twinplanx

Lol skiing is definitely not sitting on your couch. I don't get the complaints about open air shuttles. You did come prepared to be outdoors, didn't you? And there usually are unloading areas for those schlepping children. But these zones are frequently abused by me-first types...

4aprice

Lol skiing is definitely not sitting on your couch. I don't get the complaints about open air shuttles. You did come prepared to be outdoors, didn't you? And there usually are unloading areas for those schlepping children. But these zones are frequently abused by me-first types...

Many times I do not put on my equipment at the car. I prefer to use lockers and get my self situated to ski before going out in the cold. Getting thrown around on the Elk wagon with skis and equipment is not pleasant even being dressed to ski especially with 2 good working lifts right there. Last time I was at Bromley I hoofed it . A simple used school bus, much better. It's not something that would stop me from going to either but it is in the back of the mind.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

mikestaple

If you have a crew of elementary age kids, parking to the left of the barn at Ragged is pretty good (you have kids and are getting there relatively early right?!?!). Then go through the lower door. Tell everyone to hit the head NOW! Then up the stairs, grab a table near the fireplace, slam on the gear, and out the door to the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

xwhaler

If you have a crew of elementary age kids, parking to the left of the barn at Ragged is pretty good (you have kids and are getting there relatively early right?!?!). Then go through the lower door. Tell everyone to hit the head NOW! Then up the stairs, grab a table near the fireplace, slam on the gear, and out the door to the lift.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Good tip thanks! With 2 kids and gear all winter this is a good play. My oldest is in lessons this yr so typically I drop at the gear unload and stash the skis near the carpet then park the car while mom takes them inside.

Your idea seems worth trying though

BenedictGomez

I'd say Stowe is a real mixed bag. If you boot up in the Gondi lot it's very convenient. We usually boot up at Midway and then take theGondi. If Cliff Trail isn't open it's kind of a slog to get to the fourrunner. If you want to start on the Fourrunner I don't think any parking is convenient. And now that you can't park at Spruce I would think it would be very inconvenient for families with young children who want to boot up and ski on the Spruce side.

Mansfield? Where most of the parking is, you can park along the edge (or close to it) and ski to (or almost ski to) your car.

Getting thrown around on the Elk wagon with skis and equipment is not pleasant

I've only skied Elk once due to the fact there are never any discounts and it's about the same drive for me as Plattekill, but I agree. I took that wagon in the morning, I walked back to the truck in the afternoon.

cdskier

Im still surprised by all the mentions of sugarbush parking. I enjoy the climbs up to the lodge both at Ellen and Lincoln. At the risk of sounding g like a douche, it's a warmup and skiing isnt supposed to be sitting on your couch. (If you're hoofing it in ski boots or shlepping other ppls gear in addition to your own then I sympathize, but then you're doing something else wrong. :)

I do it in ski boots and it doesn't bother me. I always boot up by the car if I'm driving or in my condo if I'm taking the shuttle. I've never been a fan of leaving stuff in the lodge or lockers.

boston_e

Killington is pretty good overall. Bear, rams head, skyship, snowshed are all pretty level. Getting into k1 lodge is the hardest at Of all of them at killington and even that isn't all that bad.

skixc2

Others have said it, but Crotched is my vote for the best.

Black Mountain of Maine deserves some recognition for the cool bridge over the Nordic Race trails there.
Black Mountain of Jackson has good parking also, similar to Crotched. (There is also a small lot at the top of Moody's/Whitney where it's fun to park if the J-bar is running.)

Whaleback is also pretty great, except for TNRL nights. But, while we're in the upper valley Storr's Hill is tough when crowded and the Dartmouth Skiway has always seemed inconvenient to me, as I prefer the Holts side.

Another contender for worst parking might be the Mt. Prospect Ski Tow in Lancaster, NH. That's quite an uphill trek on a snowy trail through the woods - but so worth it for such a cool local place!