• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Strava heatmap

sankaty

Can you give an example? I really don't get it. Are you using it like a diary of where you've been.

Sure. When I go to my Strava dashboard, I see a timeline of not only my own activities, but also those of my connections (which in my case is primarily friends/training partners). On the most fundamental level, if I see that a friend has had a great run/bike/whatever, I can give a thumbs up or leave a positive comment. If I see that someone has set a personal record running their local 5K, I can be extra supportive. I also might know that a friend is training for a particular triathlon, and I can see how her training is going, see the race data, and offer accolades on race day. Sometimes I can tell that a friend is battling an injury, and I offer sympathy and encouragement.

Going deeper than that, I have several friends that run the Hartford Half Marathon with me every year, and I'm their informal coach (even though I really don't know what I'm doing). I create a personalized training calendar for each person each week. Every week, I see their actual progress, complete with heart rate data and mile-by-mile pace splits so I can hone their pace strategy, adjust mileage, recommend more rest, etc. As I said, I'm totally unqualified, but we're all just doing this for fun, and my friends really appreciate the structure and encouragement. It brings me great joy to see the tremendous progress that people make when holding to a training plan, achieving distances and speeds that they didn't think they were remotely capable of, especially if they are new to biking/running.

Most years I also organize a Ragnar Relay team, where I'm responsible for assigning relay spots to 12 different runners. I encourage the team to connect with me via Strava. I offer encouragement and advice, and if I see that some folks are struggling with their training and others are in a great groove, I might suggest reshuffling the slots to give the largest mileage loads to the folks that are feeling best about it.

I do a weekly group bike ride with my local bike shop. When I view the corresponding activity on Strava, it automatically shows me all the folks I rode with on the ride and their activity data.

I do use Strava as a diary in some cases. If I'm suffering from and illness or injury, I'll put that in the activity notes. For races, I'll frequently include logistical data in the notes (when I woke up, ate breakfast, left for the venue, where I parked, what kind of nutrition I had during the race, and how I thought it went). This info is really valuable to review when planning for future races.

Strava also has segments; a stretch of road, frequently a long hill climb, that is kind of a sub-activity. I might go out for an easy ride but find myself feeling extra strong at the start of a segment and go extra hard up the climb to see if I can set a PR for that segment, a game within the larger activity that keeps things interesting.

Beyond the social aspects, Strava has some tools that are very useful for analyzing data. One of my favorites is the ability to superimpose multiple efforts that I've made on a particular course overlain on an elevation graph. I can see how different pace/power strategies worked to my advantage/disadvantage over the different portions of the course.

There are many fitness data platforms, some of which are better than Strava for data analysis, but Strava has the most robust social features as far as I know. Obviously, I really like looking at data. Other folks just want to do their thing and not get tied up with all the tech and data, and I respect that. Other folks want the data but don't want anyone else seeing it, and I understand that too. I like that Stava allows me to share activity data independent from other social media platforms. My Facebook friends don't need to see my running data. People I've connected with on Strava have expressly asked for it.

Plenty of folks misuse Strava, usually by getting so engrossed in segments that they disregard etiquette and safety, but also it seems by publicizing secret powder stashes. For some folks, though, it can be a great tool.

sankaty

On the topic of heatmap privacy, it is possible to opt out of the heatmap, but it seems like it's somewhat buried, and a lot of people probably don't realize that they are contributing. I suspect this is why some backcountry runs are being unintentionally revealed.

You do have to upload the data to Strava (or be actively recording the activity via the Strava mobile app) for the data to be included. Just having Strava installed won't hijack your phone's GPS data.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/29/16945866/strava-heat-map-opt-out-guide

Last edited:

tnt1234

You more less said some people skiing Tucks are hacks without correcting the Typo ....OK , Maybe a little too critical ,I should have quoted the prior post.

If it's "Tuckerman" instead of "Tuckermans" shouldn't it be "Tuck" instead of "Tucks"?

Hawk

Plenty of folks misuse Strava, usually by getting so engrossed in segments that they disregard etiquette and safety, but also it seems by publicizing secret powder stashes. For some folks, though, it can be a great tool.

This encompasses my biggest issue with Strava. First, Strava records top speed and lets you know when you have a "New personal best". I literally watched a friend kill himself at Kirkwood, trying to break his personal best on top speed. He wiped out coming over a knoll and into the woods he went. Worst day of my life. I also hate the fact that inexperienced skiers are now venturing off into the woods in search of illusive lines with total disregard of the consequences if they get lost or hurt. This total inclusive society we have now puts people at risk. The worst part is the "hey look where I went" people. They are looking for approval and acceptance from total strangers on the internet with little or no thought of the consequences. Nope, you will never see me on any social media. My garmin data stays totally private and for me to review and assess my fitness and record good tracks that I may revisit in the future.

sankaty

This encompasses my biggest issue with Strava. First, Strava records top speed and lets you know when you have a "New personal best". I literally watched a friend kill himself at Kirkwood, trying to break his personal best on top speed. He wiped out coming over a knoll and into the woods he went. Worst day of my life. I also hate the fact that inexperienced skiers are now venturing off into the woods in search of illusive lines with total disregard of the consequences if they get lost or hurt. This total inclusive society we have now puts people at risk. The worst part is the "hey look where I went" people. They are looking for approval and acceptance from total strangers on the internet with little or no thought of the consequences. Nope, you will never see me on any social media. My garmin data stays totally private and for me to review and assess my fitness and record good tracks that I may revisit in the future.

I'm so sorry about your friend. I can only begin to imagine how terrible that was.

It's a very powerful and personal example of how platforms such as Strava can facilitate really bad outcomes. I wish I had better ideas about how to fix that.

Last edited:

tnt1234

I use Strava quite a bit when I am running and I'm glad users share the data. One of my favorite parts is the 'segments' feature. Users define a section of a trail or road as a 'segment' and you can plot your efforts against everyone who also ran that 'segment'. Helps make training a bit more fun for me.

Not that I ever come close to the top of the leaders list....but it gives me something to focus on when training is getting boring.

I also use it to search out good trails to run, and loops in my area etc.... And frankly, I don't care who sees where or how slowly I run. It really doesn't matter to me.

I've been dealing with an injury, and just recently been running again, and my Strava groups have played a part in getting me motivated.

Re: Skiing - it never occurred to me to wear my Garmin skiing actually, but I might consider it. I do like to look back on runs, and hikes, on Strave and just kind of remember the day that way. I imagine I would enjoy looking back on a ski day the same way.

Definitely have to be careful using it as a back country tool though - just because you see a line on the map doesn't mean that person was on skis, or had fun, or didn't spend the night in the woods....but it's really no different than say talking to a guy at the bar who says "oh yeah, third tree on the left...just head in there and go a little bit to the right...." You would need to be careful with that information too, right?

cdskier

Definitely have to be careful using it as a back country tool though - just because you see a line on the map doesn't mean that person was on skis, or had fun, or didn't spend the night in the woods....but it's really no different than say talking to a guy at the bar who says "oh yeah, third tree on the left...just head in there and go a little bit to the right...." You would need to be careful with that information too, right?

The main difference is in how easily accessible the information becomes. At least with the guy at the bar scenario, he can only tell so many people. With information posted publicly online, that information is readily available to countless number of people in seconds. But you're absolutely right that in both scenarios you need to be cautious. I do worry that many people don't realize this.

One other difference too, at least the guy at the bar could also warn you "btw, keep an eye out for a cliff if you go too far". Online you're just looking at a track without context and there's no easy way to potentially warn someone of a known risk that the person skiing that route encountered.

Jully

(or be actively recording the activity via the Strava mobile app) for the data to be included. Just having Strava installed won't hijack your phones GPS data.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/29/16945866/strava-heat-map-opt-out-guide

Exactly. Most of the stashes, I bet, are coming from people who record their ski day using the mobile app, don't publish it anywhere, but just like to see where they've gone in a mobile app.

While I'm sure there are many skiers who also publish their runs intentionally on social media and the strava dashboard (if I'm understanding you correctly), the potential privacy violation and security concern has to do with the second group.

ironhippy

Exactly. Most of the stashes, I bet, are coming from people who record their ski day using the mobile app, don't publish it anywhere, but just like to see where they've gone in a mobile app.

While I'm sure there are many skiers who also publish their runs intentionally on social media and the strava dashboard (if I'm understanding you correctly), the potential privacy violation and security concern has to do with the second group.

There is no "publish"

You record an activity, you upload that activity. Depending on your privacy settings that activity is public or private. Depending on your privacy settings that data will contribute to the heatmap (or not).

The default privacy settings is that everything is public because they want you to share as much data as possible.

The "strava dashboard" only shows you users that you are following

This also isn't new, the heatmap has been around since 2015.

tnt1234

The main difference is in how easily accessible the information becomes. At least with the guy at the bar scenario, he can only tell so many people. With information posted publicly online, that information is readily available to countless number of people in seconds. But you're absolutely right that in both scenarios you need to be cautious. I do worry that many people don't realize this.

One other difference too, at least the guy at the bar could also warn you "btw, keep an eye out for a cliff if you go too far". Online you're just looking at a track without context and there's no easy way to potentially warn someone of a known risk that the person skiing that route encountered.
true.

sankaty

There is no "publish"

You record an activity, you upload that activity. Depending on your privacy settings that activity is public or private. Depending on your privacy settings that data will contribute to the heatmap (or not).

The default privacy settings is that everything is public because they want you to share as much data as possible.

The "strava dashboard" only shows you users that you are following

This also isn't new, the heatmap has been around since 2015.

I agree, mostly. However, many users, including me, enable Strava's advanced privacy mode, which prevents people I'm not connected with from seeing activities on my profile even if they are public. This means that the only way strangers can see my activites is if they are part of a group activity with me, if we Flyby, or if my activity includes a public segment and I have chosen to be included in leaderboards (and those channels can be disabled, too).

It's reasonable for me to assume that if I record an activity in the woods, no one but my friends will see it. And this is mostly true, though the track will be included in the heatmap unless I specifically opt-out. I think Strava should do a better job of making people aware of this.

In most cases, I think people won't care, because the anonymized public data usually doesn't really invade privacy. These are edge cases: discreet backcountry skiers, military personnel, and BenedictGomez's equestrian trespasser. As a general rule, though, if I am on a track where I think privacy is critical, it's probably not a good idea to upload it to a public Web site no matter what my privacy settings.

BenedictGomez

Was playing with this again this morning and the lift that connects the 2 mountains at Sugarbush looks cool. Also, didnt know you could ski from Sugarbush to MRG, or is that a popular thing to do on snowshoes?

I never heard of Strava before, BUT, I'm having a lot of fun checking out the lines that folks have found in the woods. Many I know about, but so, so many I don't.

I'm going to keep exploring!

da-bum

I didn't know Strava had winter sport capability, or people used it for skiing. I use another more ski-focused app since it tells you ski related information like air-time and sustained speed.

All I know is I can find out alot of information from the flybys, like seeing that person fly by me while I commuting on the bike share only started his ride a few blocks earlier, or that he turned off soon after zooming past me, thus he was just burning his last bit of energy to show this guy on a 50LB bike what real cycling is.

benski

Apparently some 21 year old in Australia used this map to find US military bases in Syria.

cdskier

Was playing with this again this morning and the lift that connects the 2 mountains at Sugarbush looks cool. Also, didnt know you could ski from Sugarbush to MRG, or is that a popular thing to do on snowshoes?

You mean skiing from SB to MRG on the Long Trail? It would be more hiking than actual skiing based on what I saw hiking it during the summer. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people snowshoeing that route though. I know numerous times I've seen people snowshoeing near the top of Mt Ellen. They could easily hop onto the long trail from there and head towards MRG.

Hawk

CD is right. Just look at a topo map. The long trail flattens at 3400 ft just after exterminator woods and then it undulates for a bit until you get close to MRG. Once close you have to go up to get over a ridgeline just to get to the area of the 19th hole. I mean it is doable as a ski and hike but why bother.