• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Strava heatmap

BenedictGomez

I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot of people snowshoeing that route though. I know numerous times I've seen people snowshoeing near the top of Mt Ellen. They could easily hop onto the long trail from there and head towards MRG.

Must be quite a few people who do this given the "heat" of the trail. Sounds like fun. If the west continues to stink this season I may just do my ski week vacation in n.VT, snowshoeing there would be a good off-day activity (or in the notch).

cdskier

CD is right. Just look at a topo map. The long trail flattens at 3400 ft just after exterminator woods and then it undulates for a bit until you get close to MRG. Once close you have to go up to get over a ridgeline just to get to the area of the 19th hole. I mean it is doable as a ski and hike but why bother.

Must be quite a few people who do this given the "heat" of the trail. Sounds like fun. If the west continues to stink this season I may just do my ski week vacation in n.VT, snowshoeing there would be a good off-day activity (or in the notch).

Here's a snapshot of the elevation profile of that section of the LT.
LT MRG to ME.jpg
You'd be at around 3700' near the top of Exterminator Woods. You drop to 3400' and stay somewhat flat like Hawk says for about .7 miles until you intersect with the Jerusalem trail. That .7 mile section of "flat" is about a 100' gain and loss due to the undulations Hawk mentions. Then you ascend to 3600' over another .7 miles until you hit Antelope at MRG. Overall it would be about 2 miles long between those 2 points. Fun for a hike (I went from MRG to ME in the fall), but not sure I'd want to bother with it on skis.

Edit: And I imagine it would be decent fun on snow-shoes as well. Part of the LT to the north of MRG before the App Gap is also part of one of MRG's marked snow-shoe trails.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

Strap your skis to your back and do some BC while your at it ?

Bosco DaSkia

CD is right. Just look at a topo map. The long trail flattens at 3400 ft just after exterminator woods and then it undulates for a bit until you get close to MRG. Once close you have to go up to get over a ridgeline just to get to the area of the 19th hole. I mean it is doable as a ski and hike but why bother.

Use your imagination son. How do you think all them there snowboarders what be poachin’ the glen get to the top of the hill to begin with? And I ain’t talkin’ bout bombin the practice run from lot to lot....

It’s a nice easy walk over from exterminator..... was a big ol secret till that damn strava ruined the whole damn scheme.....

FEEB48F3-07D0-44B4-ACE2-21A8CED66BD9.png

Hawk

Use your imagination son. How do you think all them there snowboarders what be poachin’ the glen get to the top of the hill to begin with? And I ain’t talkin’ bout bombin the practice run from lot to lot....

It’s a nice easy walk over from exterminator..... was a big ol secret till that damn strava ruined the whole damn scheme.....

View attachment 23121
That's a different situation and by no means secret. Boarders have been doing that for years and is widely know as the way you do it. I'm just talking about skiers doing it. Why would you hike all that way for one run and then take the bus back to sugarbush? I would just buy a ticket and ski there for the day.

Bosco DaSkia

That's a different situation and by no means secret. Boarders have been doing that for years and is widely know as the way you do it. I'm just talking about skiers doing it. Why would you hike all that way for one run and then take the bus back to sugarbush? I would just buy a ticket and ski there for the day.

Honestly, with a walk up a rate of $89 at the glen and an absurd $119 at mascara mt., I have no idea why anybody would be walking/hiking anywhere if they bought a day pass. The only way I can justify those ridiculous single day prices is to ride the lift as many times as I can from bell to bell. Even then it's a stretch.

Lots of folks have seasons passes to both places. And certain subset of those people ski a lot of days. After a while, they get tired of the same runs under the lift, and they start to crave a little adventure. When that happens, some folks end up wandering about in some very odd places. Start mumblin bout change of a nickel and soup and what not. Sad.....:roll:

:cool:

Last edited:

Hawk

Honestly, with a walk up a rate of $89 at the glen and an absurd $119 at mascara mt., I have no idea why anybody would be walking/hiking anywhere if they bought a day pass. The only way I can justify those ridiculous single day prices is to ride the lift as many times as I can from bell to bell. Even then it is stretch.

Lots of folks have seasons passes to both places. And certain subset of those people ski a lot of days. After a while, they get tired of the same runs under the lift, and they start to crave a little adventure. When that happens, some folks end up wandering about in some very odd places. Start mumblin bout change of a nickel and soup and what not. Sad.....:roll:

I bought a 3 pack for MRG so my daily rate is $50. If you pre-purchase Sugarbush tickets online they are anywhere from $80 to $96 but I have a pass. Cost of skiing has never stopped me from skiing. I love the sport too much to let it bother me and cut in other places as much as needed. I never get tired of the valley and when I get board there is an unlimited amount of skinning in very obscure places that are very interesting. That being said, I only skin once in a while because the inbounds/lift access is great. I guess I am just happy with my decision to relocate here. But I still would not hike the 1.5 miles from exterminator to ski one run. There are too many other good options.

Bosco DaSkia

I bought a 3 pack for MRG so my daily rate is $50. If you pre-purchase Sugarbush tickets online they are anywhere from $80 to $96 but I have a pass. Cost of skiing has never stopped me from skiing. I love the sport too much to let it bother me and cut in other places as much as needed. I never get tired of the valley and when I get board there is an unlimited amount of skinning in very obscure places that are very interesting. That being said, I only skin once in a while because the inbounds/lift access is great. I guess I am just happy with my decision to relocate here. But I still would not hike the 1.5 miles from exterminator to ski one run. There are too many other good options.

Uh huh.... good deals no doubt. But I think you’re underestimating how cheap I actually am. More or less if I pay for a day ticket, I’m gonna be using that lift all day, bell to bell no matter what the price. That’s a result of being raised by penny pinching depression survivors. Waste not want not, as they say.

Remember, skiing is free. What you’re paying for is the fun of riding a lift. Wheeeeee!

Now if I have a Seasons pass, or some comp of some sort, I have no problems wasting an afternoon with some friends hiking out to the church or some other fun, but time sucking run...... just just fer shits and giggles!

Hawk

You know I think I understand. It's an age differential thing. I'm 50 and ski a lot. But I am not in a rush except on a powder days. I slowed down a few years ago to stop and take it all in. I still ski 60 days a year and those days are pretty long days but I now take time to ski with friends and do some hiking or side country to keep it fun. Everybody has fun in different ways. You keep rippin it up. Someone has to. ;-)