• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Feeling old? How about now?

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
enhanced-buzz-21321-1337103359-1.jpg

Geoff

I'm trying to think of things that have changed significantly since 1982.

* The internet. Google replaced the encyclopedia and the library card catalog. Near-universal use of email, various kinds of message boards, internet shopping.

* Cell phones and smartphones

* Retail churned completely. Walmart, Target, Home Depot put small town Main Street out of business

* The size of the average new house bloated from 1700 square feet to 2500 square feet

* Film cameras vanished and were replaced by digital cameras

* Cars got smaller, lighter, far more reliable, more fuel efficient, more luxurious, and more powerful. Pickup trucks got bigger, more luxurious, and powerful. SUVs and minivans replaced station wagons. The manual transmission just about vanished.

* Airport security

* Large flat screen TVs, HD cable & satellite, DVD/Blu Ray, streaming video, Netflix

* Manufacturing moved to China

* MP3 players replaced the Walkman

* High speed lifts, snowboards, shaped skis, Gore-Tex

* Russia is known for their mafia, not their huge army and nuclear missiles

ctenidae

Imagine a teenager today having to go back to 1982. They'd go bonkers.

An adult going back would get rich.

Riverskier

I was a young kid back in the early 80's and remember getting our first VCR in that period, and being able to rent VHS tapes on the weekend. That was a big deal! Wow, I feel old.

ctenidae

I was a young kid back in the early 80's and remember getting our first VCR in that period, and being able to rent VHS tapes on the weekend. That was a big deal! Wow, I feel old.

Our VCR had a remote control that was connected by a wire. I remember the excitement of going to teh store to pick it up. We had to sit in the car while Dad went in. My little brother took that VCR with him to college in 1995.

noski

We got cable TV in the MRV around then. We had "remote controls" that had a three tiered toggle, push buttons and a cord all the way to the cable box like this.

JerroldRemoteControl.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
TV stations always played the national anthem at 11:30 and signed off for the night.

We couldn't watch three Stooges because our parents said it was violent.

Antenna rotors.

8 track tapes

Positive ground cars.

Last edited:

drjeff

We got cable TV in the MRV around then. We had "remote controls" that had a three tiered toggle, push buttons and a cord all the way to the cable box like this.

JerroldRemoteControl.jpg

I was completely thinking of this exact same thing! I can remember my family getting our 1st wired cable box back in 1980, not too long before the Lake Placid Olympics, soon after ESPN began and before MTV began. Those 30 channels that we had seemed like a 1000! (and very often I still couldn't find something to watch), nowadays when it seems like I have 1000 channels, I very often still can't find something to watch! The more things change, the more they stay the same! ;) :lol:

hammer

TV stations always played the national anthem at 11:30 and signed off for the night.

We couldn't watch three Stooges because our parents said it was violent.

Antenna rotors.

8 track tapes

Positive ground cars.
I remember these in the 70s but IIRC 8 track tapes were going the way of the dinosaur by 1982. Cassette tapes were in...

We also had cable (and MTV).

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sideburns over 40 years.
short
mid
long
short
mid long.
mid
short

Well, at least it costs nothing. Better that than a slave to fashion. A total waste of good lift ticket money.