• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When to get adult boots for kids

hammer

For those of you that have or have had growing kids, at what point did you end up getting adult ski boots for them? Was it entirely dependent on size or was it at a certain weight or skiing level?

JimG.

Staff member
For those of you that have or have had growing kids, at what point did you end up getting adult ski boots for them? Was it entirely dependent on size or was it at a certain weight or skiing level?

My son David got his first adult sized boot last year.

He's 12; David is tall and lean, 5'9" and he wears a size 10 1/2 men's shoe. He'll just barely get through this season with those boots.

He's an excellent skier, but the adult boots were strictly a function of his size.

SkiDork

I got boots for both the kids this year at the Killington swap back on Columbus day. In the past we had leased from a ski shop on the K access road, which cost something like 60 bux. I got my daughters for 15 and my sons for 20

I had watched how they fit their feet in the past, and they start by pulling out the liners and seeing how they fit. I did the same and finally found a pair for each of them...

Funny thing is - My son (9 years old) ended up with a pair of Langes. My wife also has Langes.

On Sunday I compared their shells - lo and behold they;re the EXACT SAME size. I guess he's growin up fast...

Answer to the original question? Just get the boot that fits best. Who cares if it's junior/whatever.

hammer

Answer to the original question? Just get the boot that fits best. Who cares if it's junior/whatever.
That's the plan...I just hope I can do the juniors since they will likely last my son just one season and I don't want to spend a lot of $$.

BTW, he's an intermediate skier, no racing, around 105 lb. and used to fit a 23.5 boot. The 23.5 shell fit is tight but he's not quite edge to edge yet...the liners are already packed out, though, and he says that they hurt so they're just a bit too small.

tree_skier

most kids whine about the boot being to tight/they hurt etc and end up with boots that are too big. As an estimate take the liner out, put the foot in and there should be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch between the shell and the heal. More then 3/4 then the boot is too big.

SkiDork

most kids whine about the boot being to tight/they hurt etc and end up with boots that are too big. As an estimate take the liner out, put the foot in and there should be 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch between the shell and the heal. More then 3/4 then the boot is too big.

excellent advice.

hammer

Thanks for the advice; my son was complaining about the fit a few weeks ago so I did a shell fit. I could not get a Sharpie marker pen behind the heel...I figured that this was a bit too snug.

hrstrat57

That's the plan...I just hope I can do the juniors since they will likely last my son just one season and I don't want to spend a lot of $$.

BTW, he's an intermediate skier, no racing, around 105 lb. and used to fit a 23.5 boot. The 23.5 shell fit is tight but he's not quite edge to edge yet...the liners are already packed out, though, and he says that they hurt so they're just a bit too small.

Hammer with those specs he could easily still ski a good jr racing boot.....my daughter just recently migrated from tnt jrs to adult boot....only because her feet are monsters....she takes a 9....I opted for a soft women's boot (lange) instead. Both of my boys were in jr racing boots up to size 7...san marco or tecnica.....

I believe tecnica makes jr racing boot up to 26.5.....if the cuff is not too low no reason to spend more on adult boot....

lots of used jr racing gear pops up in the epicski swap area....might check that out or ebay.....

hrstrat57

a bit more thought re jr boots

BTW both of my boys ski'd jr boots up to size 7, either tecnica or san marco.

I know many light wt adult females who still ski in jr racing boot.....again key is short legs...if legs are too long(shin area) the cuffs on the jr boot don't provide enuff leverage for proper flex.

In doubt consult a good shop tech or a certified jr race coach.

Good luck.