• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do you get bored of skiing on groomers?

Scruffy

Yes. Bored, but all is not lost usually. If you're creative you can find stuff to entertain yourself in. On the extreme side of the trail is usually some scree piled up that makes for a little bit of a challenge to ski within a 2-3 foot wide section of the extreme edge. Icy bumps are most people's achilles heel, practice makes perfect, take these types of days to punish yourself there. Find choke points where all traffic converges, late in the day there will be skier pushed up moguls; avoiding all the people carnage is half the fun. Practice your short turns; good practice for bumps and woods. Make it interesting by counting how many short turns you can make within a given stretch of a run. Go back and try to beat that count.

KD7000

Groomers only gets a bit boring at a small hill. But at a larger area where you can ~safely~ get up to scary speed, it's quite fun.

abc

Depends.

If the groomer is in good (i.e. soft) conditions, it's a joy to cruise around. And if there're many groomers of different features, I can entertain myself for quite a while.

When I do get bored, is groomers that ski the same (i.e. Okemo). So much so that I can't even tell which groomer I'm on without looking at the trail sign! That, gets old after an hour or so.

Some of us don't get the "high" from scary speed. So yes, groomer gets boring for those of us skiing it casually.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If you get bored skiing, you're doing it wrong. This sport gives you so much freedom that, even on one trail, you should be having a good time. Try going faster, slower, a different line, do the edge...whatever. So, no, I never get bored.

MadMadWorld

If you get bored skiing, you're doing it wrong. This sport gives you so much freedom that, even on one trail, you should be having a good time. Try going faster, slower, a different line, do the edge...whatever. So, no, I never get bored.

That's just a bad generalization. Everybody skis for different reasons.

Hawkshot99

If Im by myself then yes I can get bored. As long as I am with a friend though Im good to go.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

bdfreetuna

I honestly can't take it. I would rather take gouges out of the bottom of my ski in the trees or skiing icy bumps

This.

Skiing groomers-only is fine for a few days early season. After that it's not worth it to me (and I can't afford it) to go unless there will be tree skiing or steep/unconventional terrain available.

I agree with MMW doubly, that everyone skis for different reasons. I have no desire to perfect my ice carving technique to the point where I can start to enjoy it. All summer long I dream of sliding and swooshing through the trees on soft powder or spring corn snow.

The only reason I'll go when the woods/steeps/naturals aren't open is because it's *usually* better than nothing.

bigbog

If your getting bored on groomers you need to...scare yourself a little....
See I do that already!
I, with my soft 163s, can work on my powder turns as well as normal hardpack technique..but I love to work on my carving/scarving skills/exercises/drills. Drills on groomed trails are never boring. Always room for improvement.(for me..;-)).

Wyatte74

There was a time when I got out more where after the 5th trip or so to the same mountain it got kinda boring but still better than what I'm doing right now...stupid rain! :x

Savemeasammy

At my local hill I would get bored skiing groomers fairly quickly. My tolerance is higher if I have someone to ski with. If I am at a bigger mountain that I don't ski often, I would make the most if it.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

jack97

the problem with going fast on groomers in small and mid size hills are the crowds. The patrollers, ranger/ambassadors get all over you when you ski too fast. I guess too much paperwork for them if something happens. Generally they're cool on mid week.

Scruffy

If it's white, it can be skied. You take what the mountain gives you. If you really want to get good and perfect your craft, you'll find interesting stuff to play in regardless of the conditions.

Find the funkiest mank, crud, sun cupped, or crusted over snow you can. Usually, when there's noting but man made snow, just to the side of where the groomers run - ski that for practice skiing off piste.

Take up tele - ski in leather boots and straight skis for extra points.

Take up snowboarding.

All this will make you a better skier for when the goods fill in - then you can shred the woods like the tin man.

Cornhead

The groomers were fun at Sugarloaf first tracks, wish I'd turned on Alpine Replay, may have hit tunaspeed. There's some long ass runs to the base there, freshly groomed, trail to yourself, perfect for high speed runs.

I must admit, I did get spoiled early this year skiing the Tug Hill, 3D skiing is so much more fun. Greek early season was a let down after. It's been an amazing February though, but as we East Coast skiers/boarders must always remember:

uploadfromtaptalk1393029525345.jpg

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

abc

If it's white, it can be skied. You take what the mountain gives you. If you really want to get good and perfect your craft, you'll find interesting stuff to play in regardless of the conditions.

Find the funkiest mank, crud, sun cupped, or crusted over snow you can. Usually, when there's noting but man made snow, just to the side of where the groomers run - ski that for practice skiing off piste.

Take up tele - ski in leather boots and straight skis for extra points.

Take up snowboarding.

All this will make you a better skier for when the goods fill in - then you can shred the woods like the tin man.
But do I care to "get good" at it?

It's NOT A JOB!

(Nor am I training for the Olympics)

gladerider

Groomers are sooooo boring.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

legalskier

Let's say there is a poor snow year and woods are closed, no bump runs, everything is just groomed out. Do you get bored? Or can you enjoy a full day on the snow with nothing but just groomers.

Even the flattest groomers have interest for me. I look at the terrain differently. I find fun in subtle changes in terrain, pitch, conditions, etc. I enjoy staying out there for hours.
"Only boring people get bored." -R. Burke