• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nick Berg

ChileMass

Wow - a big ooo-rah for Brian Contosh and his Marine unit. I am 100% in support of our troops and am trying to remain 100% in support of W and the Defense Dept., but these days it is getting tougher. I am in complete accord that somehow, some way, we need to HELP bring those reactionary elements of the Islamic world into the 21st Century. I'm sure many will say this is blood for oil, and it doesn't suck that for the next little while we get to direct the future of the world's 2nd-leading oil producer. But this is about security. None of us are secure until the last of these Al-Qaeda motherf-----s is stamped out. OK, we can't prove Saddam had anything to do with 9-11, and it looks like he may not have had any WMDs when we went in there last year. But - given the opportunity, he would have been involved in either or both, and there are 150,000 murdered Iraqi political prisoners in the last decade alone who would stand up and applaud the US Marines, except they can't because they're dead.

Proof of Saddam's WMD intentions - for those of you who may have forgotten or were too young at the time, look on CNN.com sometime at the archival info about the 1980 Israeli Air Force's surprise bombing of the Iraqi "nuclear power plant" (built by our allies the French, btw) which destroyed Saddam's attempts 24 years ago in developing nukes to use aginst the Iranians, the Israelis, the Kurds and the Turks. Combine that with a disastrous 10-year war against Iran, repeatedly gassing Kurdish areas, invading Kuwait, etc., and then tell me there was no reason to go in and dig that murdering pig of a dictator out of his spider hole.

The majority of Iraqis, and the majority of Muslims want to coexist peaceably with the West. The problem is that if moderate Muslims are seen as soft on non-Muslims, they are persecuted (or worse) by the radicals, who are actually a tiny minority. Note that when the statue of Saddam fell a year ago, there were hundreds of Baghdad policemen who showed up to work (they needed a paycheck, too) but had to soon stop publicly cooperating with the Allies because they and their families became targets. If the US can root out the radicals and create some semblance of normalcy (utilities running, schools open, police functioning, local government) the majority of the Iraqis will once again publicly support the invasion. However, they're like anyone else - if the nicest army in the world was parked in my neighborhood, I'd still be counting the days until they left and I could run my own affairs.......

This isn't our grandparent's world where we can sit here in North America and ignore the issues of people in the Middle East. And the Internet has made us even closer. Personally, I am amazed that there hasn't been a wave of suicide bombings here in the States. Truly, Al-Qaeda is everywhere, and since they are in Iraq now (re: Nick Berg), they are fair game, and we will take the battle to them. This is a fight worth taking on.

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il said:
quite frankly, there are thousands more anti-american terrorists in the world now than there were before we entered iraq and over half the world's population now hates this great country of ours.
Some bold and sweeping statements here Steve. Any data or sources to support these claims? I understand the gist of your comments, but this sort of sounds like propaganda to me (I'm not saying you have a political agenda or anything...).

ChileMass said:
This is a fight worth taking on.
Well said, CM! We all would like to not have to be in this situation, but we don't have a better choice right now.

Been kind of an emotional week for me. I actually stumbled across stills of the Berg slaughtering. I must say based on the few images I saw I am really glad I didn't watch the actual video. I almost couldn't breath after seeing just the handful of pictures. Sean Hannity is being criticised for playing the audio of Nick screaming on his radio show. His defense is America must know what we're dealing with. I'm glad I didn't hear it, as just trying the rationalize how a man could saw off another man's head in the name of "God" is incomprehensible. That is realization enough that we are dealing with pure evil so I don't need to hear it either. Just sad times right now.

What this week really does for me is makes me even more grateful to the brave soldiers over there fighting for our freedom, and all U.S. veterens for that matter (including my father, a WWII vet, and father-in-law, a 'Nam vet). These men and women's sacrifices let me realize the pretty easy life I have with a good job, a nice little home, and a beautiful daughter and wife. I would like to say Thank You to all past and present U.S. Military. God Bless America!

SilentCal

Let's just hope that when all of our men and women come home, that they are treated as heroes and don't have to face a negative view of them like many servicemen recieved after coming home from Vietnam. If you live near a base and can attend a homecoming, please try to attend and give them a warm welcome home.

pedxing

Amen Cal!

The pain of the less than warm homecoming of our troops from Vietnam still lingers. I worked for many years in psychiatric hospitals and saw got to know a number of Vietnam Vets whose trauma was compounded by the perceived antipathy of the public.

jjmcgo

SilentCal wrote "Let's just hope that when all of our men and women come home, that they are treated as heroes and don't have to face a negative view of them like many servicemen recieved after coming home from Vietnam. If you live near a base and can attend a homecoming, please try to attend and give them a warm welcome home."

John Kerry played a HUGE role in creating that negative view, telling Congress about atrocities he saw perpetrated by U.S. soldiers. He also confessed to a war crime during his testimony, then participated in anti-war demonstrations and planning with known Communists, as well as Jane Fonda. Seems capitalism has been bery, bery good to Kerry and Fonda.

pedxing

I disagree with jj on this one. At the time Kerry began speaking out about the Vietnam war, he and Vietnam Veterans Against the War - reinforced my opinion that we had good people fighting out there who were trapped in a war that made no sense and was being waged in a destructive and disorganized fashion. He helped many people to separate the war from the people sent to fight it. It was these folks who convinced me that it would be wrong to duck the draft in any way. (still, I was glad to see it being phased out by the time I registered)

M

mryan

i saw an ad: on one side a photo of bush praying and on the other a photo of a muslim praying. underneath were the words: who is the religious extremist?

in regards to the video: i watched it and do you know what it looks like? A FAKE. there is a stunning lack of blood for a beheading. as a matter of fact, there is none. hmmm....

M

mryan

one more thing: i am shocked at the amount of irnorance on display here(i.e.: greg: i'd much sooner nuke the boston globe, that propaganda machine for saddam hussein). it terrifies me that people like you actually think this way.

MtnMagic

Just one basic point about Democracy:

Freedom of speech.

The right to agree or disagree without the threat of retaliation, prison, or death. What do you think would happen if one disagreed with a leader or even a mere viewpoint in a lot of other countries?

Greg

Staff member
mryan said:
in regards to the video: i watched it and do you know what it looks like? A FAKE. there is a stunning lack of blood for a beheading. as a matter of fact, there is none. hmmm....
Another conspiracy theory, eh? :blink: :lol: :roll: