• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The Future of the Ski Industry

steamboat1

i think our definition of wealth may differ, but talk about short-sighted and judgmental...seems like i may have touched the nerve of a do-nothing middle manager...better be careful they don't figure out how useless you are or you'll be on the bread line soon...companies all over, including mine, at my direction, are mercilessly thinning the ranks of your ilk and are much better off for it.
You'll most likely be next.

Have a good life.

You'll most likely be next.

Have a good life.

doubtful...i've eschewed management for positions where i create something measurable or tangible....but who knows! lot of raw nerves in the middle-management set, it would appear, and for good reason!

already having one, thanks! and to you as well!

Siliconebobsquarepants said:

I think he just admitted he's a dick?​

rather be a dick than a swallower

in all seriousness, tho, this was in response to someone who ironically called me judgmental whilst making his own judgmental assumptions...but i feel for him...having to wonder, day in and day out if this is the day they figure out just how useless he is must be tough...i've seen it everywhere i go, when a company struggles, especially a larger one, you can almost always point to a bloated, do-nothing management structure...so many folks i've seen truly work hard to get into management, and then coast, as if it's some kind of lifetime achievement award or end-game

my original point was that there are a lot of people who were born on third base but think they hit a triple

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
That is definitely true in the hotel industry. Hotel GMs are some of the laziest 9 to 5ers I've ever seen.

BenedictGomez

+4 (I think I'm the fourth to agree)

This isn't the first time Spring Mountain High has made disparaging comments on this board about people who are wealthy. Someone has some serious jealousy issues.

Personally I think it's healthier to work hard and aim to be more successful in life, than to sit and stew and fill the heart with hatred for those with more than I. Though I do imagine it's psychologically easier to trick oneself into believing others were "given" what they have in some "unfair" racquet, than to admit to oneself that perhaps you're in part responsible for life not turning out so successfully.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think your assertion that SMH has some sort of jealousy issues against wealthy people is way off mark. I do happen to agree with some of his statements regarding management. It exists on a wide scale. If it didn't there wouldn't be so many successful parody TV shows and movies like Office Space that we can all laugh at having experienced it in the professional world.

People can judge what they see on a computer screen all they want. I doubt he cares. I've met him skiing before and thought he was a great guy.

VTKilarney

I think that it is patently unfair to assume that a wealthy person has not had to work hard for their money.

It's also patently unfair to assume that a poor person has had the same resources and support as a child and student that certain wealthy people have had.

I also think that it is fair to ask ourselves why the welfare state has done nothing to end the cycle of poverty. My father grew up in a poor family in a poor town. But they worked their assess off because it was the difference between eating and not eating. Those poor people had very successful children and never asked for help from the government. When things got really bad they relied on each other, whether it was their neighbor, their church, or some other local organization to which they were accountable. When I look at the poor now, I don't see the determination and work ethic that used to exist among the poor. IMHO, that is a HUGE problem - especially since their children are adopting this mentality.

There have always been outliers, but there seems to have been a general shift that is not a good shift.

Last edited:

witch hobble

I heard that the base cafeteria at Cannon will be accepting food stamps.....and FSC will be providing subsidized childcare at Mittersill based on an earned income sliding scale. :daffy:

MadMadWorld

Do what you can with what you got and make the most of every opportunity that comes your way. Wasting time hating on others for what they have (whether through hard work or luck) is just a waste of time and energy. Work hard, put in extra time, and you will be successful at whatever you do. Sometimes the results take longer than others but plenty of people have worked their way up from nothing. There is a long list of CEO'S that started as interns or entry level.

Tony Robbins out....

BenedictGomez

I think that it is patently unfair to assume that a wealthy person has not had to work hard for their money.

Unfair isnt the correct word, "moronic" is.

I also think that it is fair to ask ourselves why the welfare state has done nothing to end the cycle of poverty.

While at it, take that one step farther and ask why the cities/rural areas/regions that have received the most in welfare are chronically still the most poor. Bonus points if you begin to make the connection between systemic long-term welfare and geographical decline. Turns out that all being kept on life support does is keep you on life support. Never-mind the fact that numerous economic studies have shown people are better off if the safety net is slowly removed than keeping them in perma dependance. But healthy people & families getting back on their own two feet doesn't get you votes, financial enslavement and perma dependance does.

When I look at the poor now, I don't see the determination and work ethic that used to exist among the poor. IMHO, that is a HUGE problem - especially since their children are adopting this mentality. There have always been outliers, but there seems to have been a general shift that is not a good shift.

Live in NYC for a while. You've never SEEN such "determination and work ethic" when it comes to gaming government programs. Many of these people are clearly smart enough to earn full-blown law degrees if the manner in which they've maneuvered the paperwork piles, exceptions, extensions, loop holes, rent givebacks, and sub-paragraphs of every NY State and New York City program they can get their mits on is any indication. Don't know how? No problem, someone in the neighborhood will teach you! You have to see this to believe it. LOL.

BenedictGomez

Do what you can with what you got and make the most of every opportunity that comes your way. Wasting time hating on others for what they have (whether through hard work or luck) is just a waste of time and energy.

Amen.

I heard that the base cafeteria at Cannon will be accepting food stamps....

Not sure if serious?

deadheadskier

Staff member
But healthy people & families getting back on their own two feet doesn't get you votes, financial enslavement and perma dependance does.

False

In fact the opposite is essentially true.

The parts of this country most reliant on federal help vote for the party that promises to cut social programs. The parts of this country least reliant on federal help vote for the party that promises to expand social programs.