• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Scotch

Scruffy

bourbons are great, but don't drink it too long. can be a bit too sweet for me. i am on elijah craig right now. but, my staple is knob creek.
jack daniels single barrel is very good.

ah, so many to choose from......

:eek: There's no room for Bourbon in a true scotch drinkers life. :evil: :grin:

ctenidae

I prefer Bourbon, but am willing to accept a variety of other American whiskeys. Not a fan of the heavier barley bills you sometimes get from the Northwest (tastes Scotchy to me). I do like the ryes coming out of the Northeast. Some of the wheated whiskeys you see out of the middle of the country are quite good, too.

Canadian whiskeys are too thin and sweet. Irish is good, but often thin, Scotch tastes like bandaids and iodine. French whiskey tastes like perfume (only had 1, so maybe an unfair characterization, but hey, it's French, so it's probably true, anyway).

At least 51% corn, 3+ years in new American Oak, 86+ proof. 1 large or 3 regular ice cubes. Sit back, relax, enjoy. That last part applies no matter what the first part is.

gladerider

Ctenidae, if you like rye whiskey try high west double rye. Good and spicy.

Also, if you think Irish whisky is too light, try red breast. Great stuff.

ctenidae

I've liked the High West products for what they are, but they do tend a little to the barley side for me. Haven't tried the double rye, though, which may atone for the sins of its brethren. Have to check that out. Red Breast is going on the list!

drjeff

Currently enjoying 2 fingers of Glenlivet 12yr that I found in a box in my basement today, THAT I BOUGHT DURING MY 1ST YEAR OF DENTAL SCHOOL IN 1994!!! Glenlivet just gets better with age! :)

ctenidae

Currently enjoying 2 fingers of Glenlivet 12yr that I found in a box in my basement today, THAT I BOUGHT DURING MY 1ST YEAR OF DENTAL SCHOOL IN 1994!!! Glenlivet just gets better with age! :)

Man, that's better than finding a $20 in your ski jacket!

drjeff

Man, that's better than finding a $20 in your ski jacket!

I know! I thought that that bottle had gotten either drunk by some of my friends at a party way back when or possibly overlooked in a move! What a great surprise as I was working on cleaning out some of the junk I've had stored in my basement for years yesterday when I pulled a few old note books I had during dental school out of the box and there it was! :)

frapcap

Glad you guys all like High West, too!
I was a big fan of that when some guys offered it to us after a great day of skiing. I took a swig expecting some cheap shit, but WOW! Not what I expected at all- extremely smooth, slightly sweet. Took a photo of the bottle and I've been asking for it as birthday and xmas gifts ever since. I really like their Bourye (hard to find now) and the double rye.
I typically drink scotch over Bourbon, but their blends are spot on for my tastes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Glad you guys all like High West, too!
I was a big fan of that when some guys offered it to us after a great day of skiing. I took a swig expecting some cheap shit, but WOW! Not what I expected at all- extremely smooth, slightly sweet. Took a photo of the bottle and I've been asking for it as birthday and xmas gifts ever since. I really like their Bourye (hard to find now) and the double rye.
I typically drink scotch over Bourbon, but their blends are spot on for my tastes.

The Campfire is pretty tasty....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

gladerider

Wow. Didn't know the fan base for high west was so big. That's cool.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Lagavulin 16 is in my top 3 for sure. The most refined of the Islays, I find. But honestly, I love bold flavor, especially peat and smoke and phenols and tar........... so my favorite is Laphroaig Cask Strength. But it's not for the feint of heart, and it's definitely a love/hate type of Scotch. Not for everyone, and not for every occasion. Lagavulin is a much safer, and more refined dram.

In the mid-priced Scotches, Ardbeg is the best thing you can buy. Dalwhinnie is also delectable, but in a very different way. I'm partial to the Islay malts, but enjoy a good Highland as a close 2nd.

In the actually affordable range, Highland Park 12 is a truly enjoyable single malt. I have no complaints, and would GLADLY take that over MacCalan, Glen Livet, Glenmorangie, etc. It's priced comparably, and is worlds better IMO. However, moving up to the Highland Park 15 is a bit of a disappointment. But if you splurge for the 18, you'll think you died and went to Heaven!

And don't forget to pair with a fine cigar! Now that relations are improving with Cuba, maybe you'll soon be able to pair that Lagavulin with a Montecristo #2 (the real Montecristo... not that Dominican Republic BS).

amf

May as well add some peat to the fire here and put in a plug for Compass Box. They take blends to an entirely new level, with some stunning results. My daughter gifted me a bottle of Hedonism. Totally upsets many folks’ preconceived notions of Scotch. You won’t get hit on the head with a brick of peat, but the smoothness rivals some 25+ year single malts I’ve tried.