• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

steamboat1

4:57 pm 05/21/15--Welcome back skiers and riders. It is Memorial Day weekend and that means four days of fun here in Killington. We'll start things off Friday with top-to-bottom skiing and riding on the expert-level Superstar Trail. In order to preserve snow we've kept the grooming to a minimum, smoothing just a single lane down the middle. The groomers have been working for the last two nights to reconnect the upper and lower sections so we will start the weekend with continuous skiing and riding, though we may have some walking required as weekend traffic takes its toll. Natural melting has reduced the size of the moguls so expect delightful medium sized bumps on Friday morning. Conditions change fast in late May so stay tuned for updates.

Looking ahead, we want to prepare you for the possibility that this will be the last weekend. As we've said all along, Mother Nature will decide when we pull the plug, and she's getting insistent. We do plan to run the lift on Monday June 1, and tickets will be complimentary on that day. There will most definitely be multiple mandatory walking sections by then but if skiing or riding in June is on your bucket list, this could be your chance. As for the weekend of May 29-31, we don't currently plan to operate because we just don't think the snow will hold up well enough to handle the weekend traffic. If cooler temperatures prevail between now and then, and the snow holds up, we will reassess closer to the weekend.

:beer:

skiNEwhere

4:57 pm 05/21/15--Welcome back skiers and riders. It is Memorial Day weekend and that means four days of fun here in Killington. We'll start things off Friday with top-to-bottom skiing and riding on the expert-level Superstar Trail. In order to preserve snow we've kept the grooming to a minimum, smoothing just a single lane down the middle. The groomers have been working for the last two nights to reconnect the upper and lower sections so we will start the weekend with continuous skiing and riding, though we may have some walking required as weekend traffic takes its toll. Natural melting has reduced the size of the moguls so expect delightful medium sized bumps on Friday morning. Conditions change fast in late May so stay tuned for updates.

Looking ahead, we want to prepare you for the possibility that this will be the last weekend. As we've said all along, Mother Nature will decide when we pull the plug, and she's getting insistent. We do plan to run the lift on Monday June 1, and tickets will be complimentary on that day. There will most definitely be multiple mandatory walking sections by then but if skiing or riding in June is on your bucket list, this could be your chance. As for the weekend of May 29-31, we don't currently plan to operate because we just don't think the snow will hold up well enough to handle the weekend traffic. If cooler temperatures prevail between now and then, and the snow holds up, we will reassess closer to the weekend.

:beer:

Dammit! I was planning to ski one of those days

I do have to admire Killingtons tenacity to get to June 1st though, even if requires a small amount of mountaineering and land nav:smash:

steamboat1

Wouldn't be the first time I've carried my skis on & off the lift at K. Even had to ride the GMX at Mt. Ellen up & down carrying skis, Summit chair was ski on ski off.

Even if it's June 1 with free skiing I'd still like to be able to get a lift ticket dated June 1. Don't have one of them.

Last edited:

MadPatSki

Website
madpatski.wordpress.com
Wouldn't be the first time I've carried my skis on & off the lift at K. Even had to ride the GMX at Mt. Ellen up & down carrying skis, Summit chair was ski on ski off.

Even if it's June 1 with free skiing I'd still like to be able to get a lift ticket dated June 1. Don't have one of them.

Yep, on and off were pretty frequent back then.

Let's see, I have a few of those? 1992, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996 & 1997. However I've never skied on May 26, 30 and 31. :( Those are my only missing days in May. Oh yeah, I have a lift ticket for June 1 last year at Stowe....it was for the Toll Road...and yes, we went skiing to.

I remember on June 1, 1993 where the walking required was probably as long as the snow cover.

Posted in the Closing Thread, but I had a bit of time to do a quick analysis of Killington dates and see what it means? Is the Beast back? I think they are.

May be last weekend, May or June ? Eastern Closing Thread 2014-15 – Part 7
https://madpatski.wordpress.com/2015...014-15-part-7/

steamboat1

Last edited:

dlague

If it is free why print lift tickets!

ironhippy

my local hill will print you a ticket if you forget your pass or have a pass from the sister mountain (same owners, season pass works at both mountains).
Early season their pass machine broke, so they gave out lift tickets to customers who planned on getting their pass that day.

The rule of thumb seems to be you need a ticket to get on the lift regardless.

chuckstah

Superstar skied great today. Good cover for this time of year. Only thin cover was the groomed in snow bridge. Several groomers on the hill at top, middle and bottom to repIr bad spots once again tonight.

Attachments

• 1432318172421.jpg
    1432318172421.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 101

Domeskier

Superstar skied great today. Good cover for this time of year. Only thin cover was the groomed in snow bridge. Several groomers on the hill at top, middle and bottom to repIr bad spots once again tonight.

Did the bridge between middle and lower SS hold up all day?

cdskier

Even had to ride the GMX at Mt. Ellen up & down carrying skis, Summit chair was ski on ski off.

I did that 3 years ago at SB...near the end of March! They were limiting Summit chair to 2 people per chair due to how narrow the path was to unload at the top.

So yea, having to do that in late May or June is certainly nothing to complain about! :daffy:

chuckstah

Did the bridge between middle and lower SS hold up all day?

Yep, held up well all day, at least til 3:30 when I left. Just some thin spots easily avoided. It was bumped up nice like the rest of the trail, but troughs were getting down to dirt in a couple spots. Word was they'll patch it up best they can over the weekend.