• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington skiing into June.!

steamboat1

So does Stowe & it has nothing to do with the state. Pretty sure there were lots of others that closed that weekend that are not state run.

The K-1 gondola was still running the last weekend of April (1 week later) in addition to Snowdon & Superstar chairs. Woods & natural snow trails were even still in play.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
What's your point?

Everybody know this. Killington does a fantastic job with their spring skiing product. Longest season in the east. It's a great thing.

I simply answered mbedle's question as to why North Ridge isn't the late season play for Killington.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm aware. The very end it is just the Superstar chair though. Can't recall a closing weekend since the double went away where they had more than just the one chair.

As a K regular, would you not agree that between the terrain, the umbrella bars and the ability to do it all on one lift that the Superstar terrain pod makes the most sense currently for their spring product? Also, I don't think you'd get the same enthusiasm for people hiking those stairs in the spring as you do in the fall.

skiadikt

I'm aware. The very end it is just the Superstar chair though. Can't recall a closing weekend since the double went away where they had more than just the one chair.

As a K regular, would you not agree that between the terrain, the umbrella bars and the ability to do it all on one lift that the Superstar terrain pod makes the most sense currently for their spring product? Also, I don't think you'd get the same enthusiasm for people hiking those stairs in the spring as you do in the fall.

between all that you mentioned and the way it services a very active tailgating scene, clearly the superstar pod makes the most sense. you wouldn't get that scene in the north ridge or upper downdraft (which was where the late skiing originally was). i'm pretty sure they switched from downdraft to superstar, the first season the supe chair ran.

zyk

Umbrella bars. Provides another revenue stream.

Not sure how common this is, but my wife, a non skier, will accompany me on a nice day just to watch and enjoy the party.

skiadikt

Umbrella bars. Provides another revenue stream.

Not sure how common this is, but my wife, a non skier, will accompany me on a nice day just to watch and enjoy the party.

exactly. having it out of sight on the top wouldn't create the scene/event it's become.

machski

between all that you mentioned and the way it services a very active tailgating scene, clearly the superstar pod makes the most sense. you wouldn't get that scene in the north ridge or upper downdraft (which was where the late skiing originally was). i'm pretty sure they switched from downdraft to superstar, the first season the supe chair ran.

When the Superstar Chair went in, that pod was redesigned with the "new" Superstar and late season stacked base in mind

chuckstah

Hiked for a couple of runs this afternoon. The "S" was still skiable nonstop, with about 5 feet of grass skiing in the middle. Good for another few days maybe, with more thin sections by the hour. Pretty foggy, but no rain.

Attachments

• 1433284393699.jpg
    1433284393699.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 190
  • 1433284426013.jpg
    1433284426013.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 188

dlague

I have been seeing a few people earning their turns. Nice to see someone on here doing it.

Zand

3 little patches left. Amazing how fast it went in the past week even with cold weather.