• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

When is skiing not skiing?

SIKSKIER

It seems I like it for 2 main reasons.I love the adrenalin rush of speed,especially on curvy corners.And certainly it is also a social thing for me having hundreds of friends from my decades at Cannon and seeing them every weekend after not seeing them for 6 months.Will be back at Mitterill next week to start it all over again.

Smellytele

It seems I like it for 2 main reasons.I love the adrenalin rush of speed,especially on curvy corners.And certainly it is also a social thing for me having hundreds of friends from my decades at Cannon and seeing them every weekend after not seeing them for 6 months.Will be back at Mitterill next week to start it all over again.

To me it is the opposite of social. Well maybe that is a little rough. I like the part where I can do it on my own and not rely on any one to succeed. The more people who become involved the more aggravating it becomes for me. I can not stand having to wait for people to get to the lifts or when on the mountain and having to ski what others want. I do like the apres-ski part with others but can't understand when others quit at 1 to begin (although it does free me up of them). Skiing itself I believe is better without the constraint of other people's wants and needs.

JimG.

Staff member
I hear you on the social part Smelly. I enjoy skiing alone and always complain that I don't do that enough.

Skiing provides a sense of pioneering and adventure that increases when you are on your own.

mbedle

To me it is the opposite of social. Well maybe that is a little rough. I like the part where I can do it on my own and not rely on any one to succeed. The more people who become involved the more aggravating it becomes for me. I can not stand having to wait for people to get to the lifts or when on the mountain and having to ski what others want. I do like the apres-ski part with others but can't understand when others quit at 1 to begin (although it does free me up of them). Skiing itself I believe is better without the constraint of other people's wants and needs.

I can understand this to some extent. I find that when I ski with people that are as passionate about skiing as I am, this is not an issue. However, when I ski with people (family) that are at a lower level or only ski a couple of times a year, I use to get very irritated with them (waiting to get to the lift, waiting to get out of the lodge, waiting to pack the car, stopping every 20 feet on a run, and constantly asking me what run we should do, like I'm some type of tour guide!!!, etc.) Now, I mentally set myself up for days like that by just relaxing and enjoying the time spent with them and not really caring how good the skiing is that day. Although occasionally I'll just yell to them that I'll see them at the bottom of the lift.

As far as the person that mentioned skiing being more of a spiritual thing, I couldn't agree with you more. I spend at least ¾ of my days on the slopes by myself. The connection I have with a mountain when I'm cruising a perfect empty groomer by myself, midweek, with the snow falling is so strong for me. The adrenaline from speed, perfect turns, hard Gs carving back and forth and nearly laying my shoulder on the ground is something I will always enjoy. Taking time at the top of the mountain to enjoy the views is another favorite. Eating breakfast in the lodge in the morning and grabbing a couple of drinks afterwards and shooting the shit with strangers is always fun.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
I find the aprés ski comments interesting because hanging out having a beer with your buds is not skiing. However, it IS when you've enjoyed a day of skiing together. Just like hot tubbing is not skiing unless it's aprés ski. So as it is with everything: a meal or relaxing activity after a day hiking, biking, surfing, fishing or whatever - that aprés activity becomes part of the whole. Is that getting too existentialistic?

mbedle

I find the aprés ski comments interesting because hanging out having a beer with your buds is not skiing. However, it IS when you've enjoyed a day of skiing together. Just like hot tubbing is not skiing unless it's aprés ski. So as it is with everything: a meal or relaxing activity after a day hiking, biking, surfing, fishing or whatever - that aprés activity becomes part of the whole. Is that getting too existentialistic?

Not at all...

steamboat1

I enjoy skiing alone and always complain that I don't do that enough.

Skiing provides a sense of pioneering and adventure that increases when you are on your own.
I enjoy skiing alone & often do. The only downside I find to skiing alone is often I'll be reluctant to hop into something that isn't skied often (some glades). If I had someone with me this wouldn't be a problem. There's a reason ski areas tell you not to ski alone in the woods & I'm well aware of the reason.

Scruffy

I like to ski both with and without others, totally depends on my mood. I feel lucky to have a good sized ski posse that basically feels the same way ( with a few exceptions- there are a few in my circle who will not ski alone, they just need the social thing ), so it's all cool, we ski together then split off and hook up with others, then back again...

dlague

Personally I like the comradery (sp) so skiing with others does not bother me. I often lead groups and enjoy it!

BenedictGomez

I received the 2016 "Buyers Guide" from Ski magazine last week and was able to get through about twenty pages last night before I put it down. Seeing all the new products along with the massive Deer Valley advertisement made me think, is this what skiing is about?

The answer is, 'No'.

But you're asking the wrong question.

For a 'yes' response, you'd need to ask, "is this what print media is all about" in 2015. Hell, they GIVE the "subscriptions" away for FREE now, so they can log enough headcount to boost advert revenue.

Scruffy

The answer is, 'No'.

But you're asking the wrong question.

For a 'yes' response, you'd need to ask, "is this what print media is all about" in 2015. Hell, they GIVE the "subscriptions" away for FREE now, so they can log enough headcount to boost advert revenue.

Well...there you have it, Tin. You're asking the wrong f#@king questions, Man -in your own thread, Man! I mean...didn't you...didn't it...didn't it even even occur to you, Man, to run your questions by the Great and Powerful Gomez BEFORE posting here...you know...to see if it passes his sensibilities and all? Think of the forum, Tin, not yourself...it's not all about you. For the God's sake, Man, next time get your question right.

eatskisleep

This is why I don't subscribe to SKI or Skiing Magazine. To me at least those magazines are about selling the more up-scale life style than skiing itself.

Exactly, I used to subscribe to both. Only Powder Magazine is worth subscribing to.