• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon not opening!!

yeggous

I disagree. I think Cannon is the only Major resort in NE that will not be open. Mid majors like Ragged, Magic, Bromley may not open, but it looks like every single major ski are in NE, with the exception of Attitash will be operating.

Of course you may consider them Mid-major, but that's for another discussion. They have the resources of a major ski area.

Only reason Attitash doesn't try early is because they offer Wildcat. They used to put in effort before the AttiCat merger.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

skiberg

I disagree that most other resorts will not be open. Everyone is opening, with the exception of the mid major and minor players. I don't think Cannon has a real excuse. They run with the big dogs. If you want to play that game and hold yourself out as a major player then prepare like it. Operate like it. Manage the resort like it. If Sunapee can open, there is no reason Cannon should not be open.

The suggestion that its the weather and not really anything can be done is spurious. Every major ski resort has had to deal with the weather yet they got open.

So the questions remains, why not cannon? They have the advantage of elevation and they are North. What's the problem?

Smellytele

I disagree that most other resorts will not be open. Everyone is opening, with the exception of the mid major and minor players. I don't think Cannon has a real excuse. They run with the big dogs. If you want to play that game and hold yourself out as a major player then prepare like it. Operate like it. Manage the resort like it. If Sunapee can open, there is no reason Cannon should not be open.

The suggestion that its the weather and not really anything can be done is spurious. Every major ski resort has had to deal with the weather yet they got open.

So the questions remains, why not cannon? They have the advantage of elevation and they are North. What's the problem?

State run and answerable.

skiberg

I suspect that State Run could be an issue. I know that they normally cant put the guns on until a certain date. This year they did not even turn the guns on until this past Sunday. Was there just not enough time to get enough snow down? If so how come BW got something open? Loon just started blowing as well and they are going to open.

Perhaps they would have turned them on earlier but the weather was too warm. So were they a victim of a hard date for turning the guns on and the weather? Not sure what it is, but its not just the weather.

I do think the benefit from the state in these circumstances outweighs the negatives.

They don't have to stress about a bottom line. Sure they report every year to the state about the bottom line, but they have no risk of going out of business. Funding will always be there. Any money they make or loose goes into the general fund. Its not like they are operating Magic mountain where every Dollar counts.

slatham

Even mid-majors like Bromley plan to open.

This year is a true test of an area's snowmaking might. I think you can look at open terrain on Friday and stack everyone up based on that.

I am very surprised a mountain of Cannon's stature is not participating.

witch hobble

Antiquated snowmaking system. I've only been a regular there for 7 years, but it always seems like they try to get a week + of snowmaking in before opening. Real narrow window for them between the balmy fall we had and this warm turkey day.

No big deal. Stay open thru Memorial Day weekend and everybody will forget about Thanksgiving weekend.

Brad J

I was up there Saturday and not a flake on the slopes, Not sure when they turned the guns on or how long it takes to get something going , I wish they were more aggressive and especially wish they stayed open longer in the spring. I would be super convenient for me to ski there where my daughter lives 10 min away

freeski

It's a good move with the warm spell coming up. Cannon's season pass is what half of Killington's? This is one of the reasons why. Cannon does not like to loose the mountain. For Killington it's part of their business model.

Puck it

Three or four years ago they lost everything they blew to open for turkey day and never opened until Ia week later. No big deal if they have top to bottom.

witch hobble

Cannon? Open Memorial Day? Good one!! We're usually lucky if they stick it out till Easter. This season Easter is in March so we have a shot!

That ain't happening

sarcasm. It relieves early season tension.

larger point: I'll take an extra week on the back end of the season over the whole FSC and half of Massachusetts November wrod-ing with me and my November legs. and that the snowmaking system is the limiting factor.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
The ski biz is odd in that some customers insist that the mountains "waste" money to prove they are serious players. (I put waste in quotes because K and SR are clearly branding, so that's open to interpretation.) In the case of a state-run mountain you've got taxpayers criticizing an attempt at fiscal prudence.