• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Cannon not opening!!

Bumpsis

What's the big deal with "early" opening? It used to be that opening by Thanksgiving was something of a novelty. Now, it seems expected.
Plus, what constitutes "open"? One slope covered with man-made crap snow? The weather in late fall can be very fickle, especially with our changing climate and that's a reality that can just wipe out a lot of effort and money just to cover one slope.
I think it's a wise decision to wait for more consistent low temps and perhaps even some natural snow.

In the mean time, there is great hiking and mt biking out there. I truly don't care if a ski area throws a bit of man made just to stay they are "open".

SIKSKIER

I was up there Saturday and not a flake on the slopes, Not sure when they turned the guns on or how long it takes to get something going , I wish they were more aggressive and especially wish they stayed open longer in the spring. I would be super convenient for me to ski there where my daughter lives 10 min away
I was also there Sunday.Got my pass at about 11 am and they had just started turning them on.It was 37 degrees so nothing at the bottom.They had about 7-8 guns going from the top,headed down Upper Cannon.The olnly reason I even saw those guns was because the clouds parted momentarily and closed back in.

SIKSKIER

The real question is will Gunstock beat them for opening - Both slated for December 4th... Yet, I bet Gunstock will have top to bottom before Cannon!

Cannon is opening ttb on Friday Dec 4th.2200 vert.Gunstock has a Dec 4th target also but only says its making snow on the lower mt.Even if they made it to the top its 50% less vert than Cannon.If they only open the highest lower mt lift they will have 700 vert.Cannon already has ttb coverage.no way Gunstock will beat them.

SIKSKIER

Looks like its close to being ready.This is the upper part of Lower Cannon(rock garden).Usually takes a lot of work to cover this large area.Dont know who the poacher was that took the pic.

Attachments

• cannonpoacher.jpg
    cannonpoacher.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 171

freeski

Looks like its close to being ready.This is the upper part of Lower Cannon(rock garden).Usually takes a lot of work to cover this large area.Dont know who the poacher was that took the pic.
Might have been a snow maker. They ski around the mountain sometimes.

thetrailboss

Staff member
What's the big deal with "early" opening? It used to be that opening by Thanksgiving was something of a novelty. Now, it seems expected.
Plus, what constitutes "open"? One slope covered with man-made crap snow? The weather in late fall can be very fickle, especially with our changing climate and that's a reality that can just wipe out a lot of effort and money just to cover one slope.
I think it's a wise decision to wait for more consistent low temps and perhaps even some natural snow.

In the mean time, there is great hiking and mt biking out there. I truly don't care if a ski area throws a bit of man made just to stay they are "open".

Too each his own. Folks are very eager to ski, hence the aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

HouseQuinn

Too each his own. Folks are very eager to ski, hence the aggravation.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

....and they can ski, right now, in any number of places. All of which likely have similar terrain/conditions. Griping about a place like Cannon not playing the SR/Killington game is pretty silly IMO. The time will come.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
....and they can ski, right now, in any number of places. All of which likely have similar terrain/conditions. Griping about a place like Cannon not playing the SR/Killington game is pretty silly IMO. The time will come.

I might be wrong but I've been under the impression that ski areas long ago would give the ground a chance to cool and develop a frost line before blowing snow ?
With higher efficiency snow equipment is that no longer an issue vs getting open and some revenue going ?
I understand the rush to open for the Thanksgiving holiday . How much of a percentage In revenue does that holiday account for in a season ?

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably not much, but early operations do play into the season pass buying decisions of some.

yeggous

I might be wrong but I've been under the impression that ski areas long ago would give the ground a chance to cool and develop a frost line before blowing snow ?
With higher efficiency snow equipment is that no longer an issue vs getting open and some revenue going ?
I understand the rush to open for the Thanksgiving holiday . How much of a percentage In revenue does that holiday account for in a season ?

I don't view this as being about opening date, but rather the race for Christmas. At this point we are only three weeks away. Having a look at the forecast that is a scary thought.

skiberg

If it was only the SR/Kill. game I would not care. No one complains in early November when it is clearly only their game. However, Thanksgiving is everyone's game now. The point is that if Sunapee can play the game, how is it possible Cannon can not. In any event it does appear they are doing their best to open for Fri. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

yeggous

If it was only the SR/Kill. game I would not care. No one complains in early November when it is clearly only their game. However, Thanksgiving is everyone's game now. The point is that if Sunapee can play the game, how is it possible Cannon can not. In any event it does appear they are doing their best to open for Fri. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Forget Sunapee. Even WaWa was open.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

HouseQuinn

Sunapee - which I believe is run by a private company, unlike Cannon - has ONE TRAIL open. Blastoff. Could Cannon do that? Yes. But what the hell is the point? The one trail will be absolute garbage, possibly not even able to stay open after a day like today with warm fog & rain. So you spend all that money & waste all those resources, for what? Better to wait until you are ready to make a go of it for the season IMO. But again, would you be that thrilled if you could take laps on shitty man made snow on Cannon as opposed to Blastoff? Is it really that big a difference?

skiberg

I can assure you that the one trail that was open at Wildcat on Friday was not shitty. It was beautiful, soft and creamy. Sat was pretty good as well.

Puck it

The question of the day is "Have the whales had enough time to drain to groom the trails?" I think not.