• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

World Cup

doublediamond

For men, none. Not even Sugarloaf's Narrow Gauge under modern standards. Narrow Gauge is homologated but is too short for WC racing. No other area has sufficient T2B vertical. I'm discounting Whiteface because it'd has a massive green runout. Even Narrow Gauge needs a long green runout for lower category DH races.

For ladies' DH or men's SG ... few could. Everyone needs some widening: Stowe (on Lord), Wildcat (on top of Wildcat), Cannon (on Bypass ... Barron's though is out of the question for the pros), and Waterville Valley (some sort of connection say between Upper Bobby's and Sel's Choice). Sugarbush could but it'd need pretty much a new route down or an absolute destruction of Jester. Off the top of my head, no one else has sufficeint vertical for speed events at the pro level without massive runouts.

Here's most relevant info:

CxVzOtK.jpg

DH and SG require 30 m widths (99 ft). SL/GS require 40 m (132 ft)* widths. Short narrower segments may be approved if deemed safe enough. Inspectors may also required DH/SG/GS courses to be wider than these minimums if deemed unsafe. Coexisting SL/GS events at the same time must be 90 m wide IIRC, thus the width of Taft Training Slope (can't find it in the current rules).

*only if both runs are on same course. If 2nd run is on another course, only 30 m required

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Wouldn't Mount Ellen be better than Lincoln Peak for a DH. Longer more consistent vertical and the bottom run-out isn't as flat. Obviously they would need to widen sections too

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

doublediamond

As I said previously, there is nothing in the FIS rules stopping Killington from hosting WC DH.

In your dreams. Would never be approved. Ever. Tiny VD with a course nearly as long as Wengen.

And yet you bitch on KZone about Killington hosting a tiny GS and SL race?!?!?!?!?!?!?

moguler6

Vertical drop of Lincoln peak side is only 734'. Has to be Mount Ellen, 793'.

doublediamond

Mall was just an example of a non-green way down from the top. As I said, it would have the vertical, but would need massive improvements as in a new trail or significant widening.

drjeff

For atleast the next decade, if not much longer, I'd be stunned if any world cup downhill or Super G(either men's or women's) held in the lower 48 states, is held in any state other than Colorado. Snowbasin no longer has the interest in holding one on their "modern design" downhill courses, Grizzly for the men and Wildflower for the women, that Bernhard Russi designed for the 2002 Olympics, and the reality is with the current World cup schedule, unless one is hosting a world championship, or Olympics or season ending, all 5 disciplines in 1 location event, you're not going to see another speed event added to the calendar unless a current hosting mountain decides not to host their existing event, and that seems unlikely

In reality, the men's downhill and Super G at Beavercreek are going to the the only annual speed events on US soil for a long time to come

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

Could have used spring fling as a non green option instead of the mall. Probably plenty wide already. :) I would love to see a wc dh race in the east but just doubt it will ever happen. That's a shame too as it could be a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

For men, none. Not even Sugarloaf's Narrow Gauge under modern standards. Narrow Gauge is homologated but is too short for WC racing. No other area has sufficient T2B vertical. I'm discounting Whiteface because it'd has a massive green runout. Even Narrow Gauge needs a long green runout for lower category DH races.

Thanks for the info, good stuff. Whiteface was the only place I would have guessed could pull off a DH. There would be a flattish cruising runoff, but it doesn't seem like it would be absurd IMO. They'd carry a lot of speed into it, and it has some reload dips. I'd like to see some tape of the 1980 Olympics, I know the route they took, but I'd be interested to see how fast (or slow) they were near the bottom.

In your dreams. Would never be approved. Ever. Tiny VD with a course nearly as long as Wengen.

And yet you bitch on KZone about Killington hosting a tiny GS and SL race?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Good points, all. LOL