• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aggravation

Domeskier

If only there were some way for folks to ski in a hermetic, temperature and climate controlled environment 365 days a year. That would be tops.

Jcb890

So if I go to a restaurant and have an ok meal, I shouldn't be disappointed that it wasn't as good as it was other times? Because hey, at least it was still better than eating nothing or eating some super crappy food?

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic. You can have fun and still be disappointed at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

If I’m understanding this correctly, you take whatever the restaurant gives you and there is no such thing as one meal being better than another.

SMH
If you take what the restaurant gives you, you will always have a great meal.

Because contrary to popular belief skiing exists south of VT and NH.
Stop lying.
Unless you meant to say "West" in which case I agree. :lol:

cdskier

Even the people who live south of VT/NH/ME still mostly care about snow in VT/NH/ME - and Northern NY.

And who asked for snow below them?

Canadian shows 1-3" for almost all of VT/NH/ME and northern NY Saturday-Sunday, yet around 6-8 for most of NJ, CT, etc. Speaking as someone from NJ, I agree that this is so not helpful and just further aggravates me lol.

John9

I will date myself. I remember high school ski club in NJ, say 1991 to 94. Evey Friday afternoon and night at Vernon Valley and several Saturdays at Windham, with a 3 day trip to Killington. Cold weather and snow was never an issue. We always had great conditions, it got cold and stayed cold for 4 months. Now winter in the NE is hit or miss, day by day. I have been lucky to get some good days this "season."

kingslug

Theres no right or wrong to all this..its just the way we all deal with it. I guess i dont like east coast skiing anymore..im spoiled...and hopefully ill get out of here someday..Utah would be best but cant really make a decent wage there..colorodo might be the ticket.

Jcb890

What happened to the Sundown Cult that was on here??? They'd support my cause!!!! :grin:
Just giving you a hard time. I wish for the best conditions for everyone! I have a buddy who lives and works down in VA. They have had a very tough season.

Theres no right or wrong to all this..its just the way we all deal with it. I guess i dont like east coast skiing anymore..im spoiled...and hopefully ill get out of here someday..Utah would be best but cant really make a decent wage there..colorodo might be the ticket.
Can't really make a decent wage in most of the ski-centric areas. Exceptions would I guess be Colorado and Seattle maybe.

AdironRider

Salt Lake, Denver, Reno, Seattle, Boise; the list of large cities with real world jobs and close to skiing is long out West. Many more options than back East which is basically Boston. NYC is like 3-4 hours even to Hunter.

Smellytele

Salt Lake, Denver, Reno, Seattle, Boise; the list of large cities with real world jobs and close to skiing is long out West. Many more options than back East which is basically Boston. NYC is like 3-4 hours even to Hunter.

Living in denver and having to drive to the ski areas is not picnic. As far as kingslug making a decent wage in SLC it is a lot cheaper to live than on Longgg Island.

AdironRider

It does seem to be getting pretty bad down Denver ways, but there are methods to get around the madness to a certain extent.

That being said it seems no worse than the daily commute anywhere within the 128 corridor.

Cost of living definitely varies. You can live like a king in Boise or Reno for a pittance compared to most areas of the Northeast. Seattle not so much.

kingslug

I did check out ways to avoid I70 which is the worst road in the country for ski access..there are ways around it. My dream is Utah as we have many friends there but the pay is terrible. It would be a major hit..no way my wife would take that kind of cut..me..I'm the ski nut so I would. And I would rather drive 3 hours to get to a Colorado my than 3 to 5 to VT.

John9

I think in the NE we all have an idea about how much money we need to earn. People live in all 50 states, have jobs, homes and families. Not moving to VT or CO is a regret, but still possible.

Smellytele

I did check out ways to avoid I70 which is the worst road in the country for ski access..there are ways around it. My dream is Utah as we have many friends there but the pay is terrible. It would be a major hit..no way my wife would take that kind of cut..me..I'm the ski nut so I would. And I would rather drive 3 hours to get to a Colorado my than 3 to 5 to VT.

I didn't realize how bad the air quality is in SLC until someone I know just moved out there and they say they have quite a few poor air quality days. The mountains block the air from moving out the smog and the air just flows up and over the salt lake basin and locks in the smog.

kingslug

You can avoid the smog by living at a higher elevation...at least some parts of the day. My wife checked out the pay she could make there...about 1\4 what she makes..not happening.

Last edited: