• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Aggravation

SnowRock

I’m a 20-25 day a year sort and lucky in that my wife understands how much I enjoy getting on the snow and we have no kids yet. Would love to get more days, but we are sort of locked into NYC for work currently so this is about as much as I can make happen from here.

I find it impossible not to follow the weather and it definitely impacts my mood. I can’t complain about this year to date, have logged 15 days, mostly solid in the east and had a fun 3 days in Jackson with snow…. But I am worried between weather and work how the rest of the season is going to play out. Taking our nephews for their first VT trip first weekend in March so hoping it is decent enough for them. Then need to get two more trips to Stowe.

By end of April I’m sure it will be all good but it’s sort of funny how much I stress over something that gives me a ton of enjoyment. And agree.. looking ahead to the next storm, pattern change, days when I can sneak away, often makes the winter fly by.

AdironRider

If you love this sport you HAVE to be impacted by the weather. The people claiming to be completely Zen about the weather are either incapable of feeling or are lying.

To be fair I live 10 minutes from skiing so that certainly helps my zen like attitude. Would I prefer 2 foot pow days every day, sure. But that is never going to happen so why worry about it.

I've got something like 2000 days on a hill now. I've seen and skied it all. Worrying about the weather, a facet you have absolutely zero control over, seems like a waste of time.

But I must just be lying or a robot.

VTKilarney

I live 20 minutes from skiing.

I didn’t say that you have to worry. I said that the weather will have an impact on you if you love the sport. That’s just a fact. Don’t kid yourself otherwise. And, yes, if you don’t like a bluebird powder day more than pouring rain, you are either incapable of feeling or are lying. I stand by that.

Last edited:

AdironRider

I based my entire life about getting on the hill as much as possible. If conditions mattered at all I'd work in a city and pay to play on a heli or storm chase.

You take what the mountain gives you. I don't sweat the details, or adapt my skiing on a given days weather conditions. It's all fun.

It just seems like a waste of time to be "disappointed" or aggravated about conditions while you are skiing. A purely leisure activity. I think its an oxymoron in a sense to bitch about how much more fun you could be having compared to just average fun.

Smellytele

I based my entire life about getting on the hill as much as possible. If conditions mattered at all I'd work in a city and pay to play on a heli or storm chase.

You take what the mountain gives you. I don't sweat the details, or adapt my skiing on a given days weather conditions. It's all fun.

It just seems like a waste of time to be "disappointed" or aggravated about conditions while you are skiing. A purely leisure activity. I think its an oxymoron in a sense to bitch about how much more fun you could be having compared to just average fun.

With weekend warriors they book trips well in advance and if the weather is not great they will be disappointed. If you can ski at a drop of a hat and/or live within 10 minutes of the hill then it isn't as big of a deal. I do live within 10 minutes of a ski area and still get disappointed when I leave my house and it is snowing then it turns to freezing rain. So it was a waste of time (albeit just 20 minutes of time) to drive there. It is more how much fun you could be having compared to no fun at all or the opposite of fun.

cdskier

I think its an oxymoron in a sense to bitch about how much more fun you could be having compared to just average fun.

So if I go to a restaurant and have an ok meal, I shouldn't be disappointed that it wasn't as good as it was other times? Because hey, at least it was still better than eating nothing or eating some super crappy food?

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic. You can have fun and still be disappointed at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

MJP

I agree with you totally.
I ski every weekend. And every weekend has been different. Just ski.

VTKilarney

So if I go to a restaurant and have an ok meal, I shouldn't be disappointed that it wasn't as good as it was other times? Because hey, at least it was still better than eating nothing or eating some super crappy food?

Sorry, I don't agree with your logic. You can have fun and still be disappointed at the same time. They are not mutually exclusive.

If I’m understanding this correctly, you take whatever the restaurant gives you and there is no such thing as one meal being better than another.

SMH

cdskier

If I’m understanding this correctly, you take whatever the restaurant gives you and there is no such thing as one meal being better than another.

SMH

Ahh...so that's how it works. Good to know! :beer:

Glenn

I have to imagine a lot of disappointment comes from the limited time a lot of us have to spend on the mountain. My wife and I take time off well in advance. It's a roll of the dice; it may snow, it may not. It could snow 18" the week prior then rain on Sunday. I think it's easier to take a more leisurely attitude towards it if you can pick and choose your days on the hill. When you're locked into weekends or time off, you get what you get. And sometimes that's a big plate of disappointment. But hey, it was still nice to be outside yesterday. So you have to take a bit of a glass half full approach.

bigbog

There is a solution. Move to where it snows a lot more. Utah, the northwest, BC, etc. Take only work that puts you in close proximity to these areas. Get a place on the hill or very close to it. DO NOT HAVE KIDS....or an non-skiing wife for that matter. Sacrifice everything for that elusive Powder or at least combination of several of these things. I was successful with a few of these and my powder day yield has been a lot better. It's not for everybody. But it sure feels great to be the one that is there when it snows on a weekday.

Otherwise I do on let the bad weather frustrate me. Wasting time and energy on things you can't control is bad for you. Close your eyes and take a deep breath and say Fuk That! I just ride my mountain bike when the snow sucks and at least I am outside having fun.

In looking online I think I might just want to find the area then do a little trip for possible land to build on. Some small places the size of your basic mini-mobile home are carrying some mighty hefty pricetags.....thanks to today's realty companies and sellers looking for their pot of gold, platinum and silver ASAP....up in BC near a few of those mini-cities for the wealthy.

AdironRider

Ok guys, keep on keepin on getting pissed about ski conditions. I don't have to justify my happiness because you think I could be happier.

JimG.

Staff member
I can pick and choose my days and have had some awesome days on the hill this season so far.

But if I only skied on primo condition days I would ski a lot less than I want to. So I also ski in the rain and on days after a hard freeze.

Would I rather ski in a blizzard or the day after? Of course! Do I avoid bad conditions? No, because skiing is fun no matter what.

So I guess I agree with AdironRider.

caribchakita

Website
www.bonairecaribbean.com
It's only been this year for me, for some reason. I feel like I am living my old windsurf days when I was obsessed with "where to sail", "what size board", "what size fin"....

I wish there was an app that told me where there was good snow, running lifts, easy parking (think Okemo gridlock at 4 PM similar to Gillette Stadium) and within a 4 hour drive.