• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowboard bindings from the ignorant question.

tcharron

Hey guys,

As someone who doesn't board, I'm at a loss for the different kind of bindings out there for boards for my son this year.

He's obviously outgrown his old bindings, or at least will by snow time, so I at least need to get him new bindings for next year.

Since he busted his old ones twards the end of last year, he used rentals a few times, and he *really* liked being able to just click in, but I've hard that the integrated click in, umm, 'flat plate' bindings really aren't all that great. I did see a binding twards the end of last year that looked like a cross between the two, in that it worked like a normal binding, but there was a hinge 'thingy' (Very technical term) that let the back of the binding come down so you could basically slide in and lock in the backside.

Any info on these, pro's, con's? I'd prefer someone on the affordable side as money this year will probrably be a little tighter then years past due to unforseen expenses cropping up.

Hawkshot99

The binding that you are speaking of is the K2 Cinch. They make them in 3 different styles. But the highback folds down alowing you to slip your foot in with out adjusting the straps.

http://www.k2snowboards.com/bindings/binding.asp?productid=28

That is the bottom of the line model with a retail at $189 or so. From the pics they look the same as last years model so maybe see if you can pick up some leftovers.

They are a great binding for the cruiser type of boarder, not the most popular for the type of person who hangs out in the park all day. The reason for this is the mechanism that allows the easy entry also adds a decent amount of weight, making it a bit harder to spin the board.

*There may be other bindings out there with the same type of highback, but these are all I know of*

56fish

Website
www.borderskirental.com
The binding that you are speaking of is the K2 Cinch. They make them in 3 different styles. But the highback folds down alowing you to slip your foot in with out adjusting the straps.*

FLOW makes a similar product since 1996. Have the bugs worked out. Depending on model (they make Jr's) .... under $100 online. $100+/- at a dealer (I have been 1 since 1999). Keep in mind the online caveats. Make sure they work w/ his boots.

Whatever the boy likes to keep him on the snow.

.:beer:

MarkC

The problem with a binding like that is they are near impossible to get into in deep powder.

dmc

I experimented with various Flows... I enjoyed the ease of slipping in but did not like the feel of the binding... never could get it right...

I especially was concerned when a couple times they unhooked during a BIG fast turn and almost killed me when my boot slipped out...

When it comes to bindings - I stick with whats tried and tested...

just my .02...

dmc

The problem with a binding like that is they are near impossible to get into in deep powder.

Another issue is having to put force down on the deck to clip/step in.
Sometimes when I'm climbing - I barely have enough space to sit - let alone have a platfrom to set on...

Beez

How old is your son? My son learned on click in bindings his first season. After he gained some confidence, We got strap in bindings. He likes the strap ins much better, says they give you more control. Check out epicski.com they have a family gear swap forum. You can pick up something cheap.

tcharron

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm actually looking for the bindings to get him for this year right now. I think the largest benny is this years growth spurt now puts him in mens size small/medium bindings which may actually last him 2 or 3 years. :)

I'm looking at the step in bindings, but I DID come across the 'cool' strap in binding which has a normal cost of like 200+ bucks, but I found a real good deal on them. What's your opinion?

p-501575!843.jpg

SP METALIZER SP

They look cool for sure. :) Any opinions, crap or not?

dmc

to me it's all about fit/comfort and robustness.....

I''ll put up with a little extra weight for sometihng I can ALWAYS count on...

dmc

So would plastic tie wraps... Was just curious what factors differ between a good binding vs a crap binding..

Wait a sec.. I already HAVE some tie wraps.. Hrm........ :-D

You could just staple the boots to the deck...