• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

One Laptop Per Child went on sale today.

adamti91

I guess it's good. Not sure about forcing technology upon developing countries. Look what it's done in China. Sure their economy is growing, but have you seen the slum villages? The streets are literally piled high with "eWaste", people slave away for their jobs picking about recyclable material, and their health issues are mounting. WATCH THIS VIDEO. THAT'S WHAT WE ARE DOING TO OUR PLANET WITH TECHNOLOGY, and we are only setting up these developing third world countries for environmental disaster in the long run as technology is introduced into their lives.

Look at indigenous communities, their cancer rate is so low because they have no technology, and while it's obviously not leaving our lives, technology is responsible for all the problems of our society.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
It is easy for us to sit on our high horse and question what tech is doing for developing nations. But the rub is look at the history of the United States and what our country went through during the Industrial Revolution. So much changed so quickly and it allowed people to do things like never before and buy cheaper goods and all that great economic stuff. But much of the economic development came at a human cost. And so goes any country trying to go from third world to modern. We get into the ethical issues, especially in regards to climate change issues, in which who are we to hold down other nations? Do they not have the right to pursue what we have obtained? Would any United States citizen think giving up all of our tech was worth lowering our risk of cancer? I would rather shake the dice on cancer than go back to the 1700s. I would not go so far as to say that tech is responsible for all the problems in our society. I would say that tech has exacerbated problems caused by human nature and given us a lot of tough questions and ethical issues to address, many of which have under lying problems stemming from the way humans behaved even before tech came about.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Look at indigenous communities, their cancer rate is so low because they have no technology, and while it's obviously not leaving our lives, technology is responsible for all the problems of our society.
Technology may be responsible for some of the problems of our society, but I would venture to say that human nature is the bigger problem. Same wars, same problems, that go back thousands of years. Technology has nothing to do with that.

To the OP, I think it's an intriguing program. If I had $400 lying around :lol: I'd probably look into it further.

BeanoNYC

I'm not sure if this is about forcing technology on a developing nation. I see it as using technology to educate a nation. It's not like we're putting a gun to their heads and saying "use these computers." We're offering them to these countries to educate future generations. Big difference.

ctenidae

Look at indigenous communities, their cancer rate is so low because they have no technology, .

And 25 year lifespans, no education, famine, and easily treatable diseases.

Technology may not be the cure for all that ails us, but it's not the cause, either.

adamti91

Technology may not be the cure for all that ails us, but it's not the cause, either.

It's also not really a right we have as humans to instill our technological way of life upon others. Not saying it's a completely bad idea, but I think as a Western society we have overextended our bounds on this one.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Right. Now they'll have 25 year lifespans, no education, famine, easily treatable diseases and minesweeper.

w00t.

bvibert

Staff member
Right. Now they'll have 25 year lifespans, no education, famine, easily treatable diseases and minesweeper.

w00t.

Actually since they'll have the interwebby now they'll be able to google cures for those easily treatable diseases. They'll have a 26-27 year lifespan easily... And solitaire...

BeanoNYC

Actually since they'll have the interwebby now they'll be able to google cures for those easily treatable diseases. They'll have a 26-27 year lifespan easily... And solitaire...

I can't wait till we get our member from a developing nation on AZ using a OLPC.