The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 357

AlpineZone

Page 357 of 429 FirstFirst ... 257307347355356357358359367407 ... LastLast
Results 3,561 to 3,570 of 4283
    As a sidenote, on Christmas afternoon, we finished skiing and were hanging out in CR Pub for some Apres Ski. Six adults and 9 kids. Around 5pm the kids collectively told us that they didn't want Chinese food for dinner. In a panic, we turned to the bartender (big guy with a big white beard...I'm drawing a blank on his name) who got on the phone and procured us a reservation for 15 people at the Hydeaway for 6:30pm. Couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    In a panic, we turned to the bartender (big guy with a big white beard...I'm drawing a blank on his name) who got on the phone and procured us a reservation for 15 people at the Hydeaway for 6:30pm. Couldn't have been nicer or more helpful.
    Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Shawn
    Noted. Thanks. He was great.

got 6 days in over the holiday. great conditions. woods were great. best base I can remember in december. chilly. got a bit of frostbite on my face but like they say, no pain no gain.

luv the new walts at mt ellen. upper and lower fis were shockingly good.

It was either last year or the year before that the had over 3 feet of snow in the woods in December before we had the warm up. That was some of the best skiing in years. I don't know what woods you were skiing but where we were skiing, it was very challenging and not the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    It was either last year or the year before that the had over 3 feet of snow in the woods in December before we had the warm up. That was some of the best skiing in years. I don't know what woods you were skiing but where we were skiing, it was very challenging and not the best.
    Pretty sure that was last year where we had something like 100"+ in December (especially at upper elevations)...

I keep a ski log and last year at the end of December the YTD snowfall total was 154". This year it's 50". The base is not as deep this year but it's definitely firm after the quick warm up just before Xmas. FWIW I skipped FIS at Mt Ellen and my son said it was not very good.

WOW! I heard Stowe reported a surprise 12'' last night, so I took a look at Sugarbush - notta!? I've noticed a number of times this year where Stowe has received significantly more snow, but 12" vs. zero is very strange.

So then I looked at YTD: Stowe reports 111" vs. 51" at Sugarbush. This is shocking. I know there is a difference and on average Stowe picks up more snow, and each storm is its own entity, but 111 vs 51 over a 2 month period is very unusual.

I'm a bit a weather nut and I wish I had watched this more carefully this season (more focused on SoVT). But my guess is that this is very influenced by Lake plumes that are targeting areas just to the North of Sugarbush. As we all know, a lake band will dump in one area and 5 miles on either side, nothing. And of course weather patterns do show persistent.

Appreciate any insight from those who have been paying more attention to this.

EDIT : I just checked my "home" mountain of Bromley - they are notorious for under reporting, and they didn't start counting until Thanksgiving, and yet they have 44" YTD. Sugarbush is in some twilight zone snow hole. Of course that will probably change....
    Last edited by slatham; Jan 3, 2018 at 7:48 PM.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    WOW! I heard Stowe reported a surprise 12'' last night, so I took a look at Sugarbush - notta!? I've noticed a number of times this year where Stowe has received significantly more snow, but 12" vs. zero is very strange.

So then I looked at YTD: Stowe reports 111" vs. 51" at Sugarbush. This is shocking. I know there is a difference and on average Stowe picks up more snow, and each storm is its own entity, but 111 vs 51 over a 2 month period is very unusual.

I'm a bit a weather nut and I wish I had watched this more carefully this season (more focused on SoVT). But my guess is that this is very influenced by Lake plumes that are targeting areas just to the North of Sugarbush. As we all know, a lake band will dump in one area and 5 miles on either side, nothing. And of course weather patterns do show persistent.

Appreciate any insight from those who have been paying more attention to this.

EDIT : I just checked my "home" mountain of Bromley - they are notorious for under reporting, and they didn't start counting until Thanksgiving, and yet they have 44" YTD. Sugarbush is in some twilight zone snow hole. Of course that will probably change....
    Sugarbush reported 1" overnight, but close enough to 0. And yes, Sugarbush has not been seeing nearly as much snow as points north this season. And I just looked at K and even they have a higher total (62 at the moment there). So there have been some storms that delivered a bit more to the south, and others that delivered a bit more to the north. SB is missing on both ends. Stowe has also had some good accumulations several other times this season when SB received not much from lake and/or terrain induced snow. For example on 11/27 Stowe had 6-8 and SB had 1 (first example I saw looking quickly through my snow report e-mails...but I know it happened a bunch of times).

I also think SB is under-reporting slightly this year and I'm going to blame their new raised snow stake platforms. There were several days in December when I was there that what you felt on the trail seemed more than what they reported. I think with the platforms being raised, snow is blowing off them a bit. They may not be losing a lot this way, but even just an inch or two here and there can add up over time. Even MRG is reporting higher totals this season so far compared to SB.

I have been watching Stowe and the Northern areas this season. It's not just lake enhanced it's pretty much all of the snow events that have come through. They are just setting up better and getting more snow longer. Also their elevation enhanced situations have been off the charts. If you follow Scott Braten who does their reports and also is on several Message boards, you get the picture pretty quickly. He is in my opinion one of the best at predicting and documenting snow. Also this guy who goes by the handle Jspin in Waterbury. I have been following them for years. They are very dedicated and very good.

Thread Information