• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Here's one of my shots of Brambles from 2011:

185817_10150103884389667_333697_n.jpg

181699_10150103884454667_8375375_n.jpg

Snowmonster on it....where he is standing used to be trees IIRC:

188367_10150103884704667_6194776_n.jpg

This is the part that I think they regraded:

189764_10150103884809667_3622755_n.jpg

dlague

I rode slidebrook on Sunday around 1ish the lift stopped for 15 minutes. Made 1 run at my Ellen and then decided to head back as conditions at south were much better. On the ride back the lift stopped again for about 15-20 mins. I was with my 11yo daughter - and we were freezing! Not sure why the issue was, but I don't think I will be riding that lift anytime soon. I wish the slidebrook chair had bubbles or were a gondola. Discussions during the wait were about the probobility of a lift evac. (I had the pleasure of being in the heavens gate evac with my son 2 years ago). I have not had many issues with the lifts at Sugarbush, but I hope they get these issue worked out.

My wife were talking about that. We were discussing which chair would be the worst and that chair came to mind for both of us. The valley before you get to Mt Ellen the chair is pretty high and above the tree line.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Newpylong

You must be thinking of a different Brambles. GMVS just started snowmaking on Brambles last year -IIRC. It used to be all natural snow with just some blow over from Inverness. It gets a lot of sun and used to be all soft moguls with limited traffic off the Inverness chair.

Nope. I'm a GMVS '99 grad and when I was there from 95 to 99 snow was made on it every year and we trained SL there when they were doing GS on Inverness. Only the top was natural above the crossover.

Perhaps they stopped that practice in the interim years?

I just asked someone who still works there and they said it's since been widened, with pipes being installed on the actual trail vs dragging through woods.

Last edited:

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
I had the fun pleasure a week or so ago of setting up Brambles for snowmaking. There is no pipeline on Brambles, and hoses need to be stretched through the woods from Inverness. Luckily the Inverness pipeline is on skier's left and to reach Brambles, some hydrants needed 2 lengths of 75' hoses (x2 for air AND water) and others, 1 75' and 1 25'. What they DID do was install tower mounts this year on the lower half, but that's it.

TrailBoss' 2008 shot of Brambles above (2nd post, 2nd pic) is still accurate. Top is still narrow and trees. One of my favorite runs at the MEllen. Hardly any traffic and easy to find good snow, as long as its not closed for racing/training. After all, it better be good snow over there... it's a long hike for me on my board from Elbow/main mtn, across Northway, though I can usually keep speed to avoid flatting out, until I get to top of the Inverness chair.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I had the fun pleasure a week or so ago of setting up Brambles for snowmaking. There is no pipeline on Brambles, and hoses need to be stretched through the woods from Inverness. Luckily the Inverness pipeline is on skier's left and to reach Brambles, some hydrants needed 2 lengths of 75' hoses (x2 for air AND water) and others, 1 75' and 1 25'. What they DID do was install tower mounts this year on the lower half, but that's it.

TrailBoss' 2008 shot of Brambles above (2nd post, 2nd pic) is still accurate. Top is still narrow and trees. One of my favorite runs at the MEllen. Hardly any traffic and easy to find good snow, as long as its not closed for racing/training. After all, it better be good snow over there... it's a long hike for me on my board from Elbow/main mtn, across Northway, though I can usually keep speed to avoid flatting out, until I get to top of the Inverness chair.

Interesting. Are we correct that it was regraded at some point in the last ten years or so?

Newpylong

Thanks for the correction Shady. That makes more sense to me and now that I look back he said "snowmaking equipment" not pipes.

Way back when I made snow we used to run fans hundred and hundreds of feet from hydrants. No fun.

neversummer

I was actually looking for the sugar low blood but I'll check in at Sugarbush would build the Leo

catsup948

Might be a stupid question. Xwhaler and I are heading to the Hyde Away Tuesday night. We have decided to just got for it no matter the weather Wednesday. Would Sugarbush be on complete wind hold with what appears to be south to southwest winds? Rain and warm temps actually would be decent skiing otherwise.

rocks860

Depends on the winds. Summit, heavens gate and north Lynx will sometimes go on wind hole with everything else open

cdskier

I honestly can't remember which direction of wind impacts Sugarbush the most. There are times the entire mountain is shut down, and times just one lift is impacted. I've always thought it would be a good idea to make note of the direction of wind when they have various holds...but never actually did it.

WWF-VT

Status update for Sun, Jan 31

"With a warm front coming in for the next couple of days and to preserve the condition of the trails, we'll be closing all natural snow terrain tomorrow morning. "