• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

SIKSKIER

I dont know what this mans but I viewed all the cams earlier this morning around 8 am.Now the Castlerock,HG,and Gatehouse cams are not even shown.There was virtually no snow left at the Gatehouse loading area as well as CR which is understandable there.The HG loading area looked thin but managable.Today they are only running the Valley House because of "conditions".Whatever that means.They just rebuilt the loading areas with new snow at the base area.

cdskier

I dont know what this mans but I viewed all the cams earlier this morning around 8 am.Now the Castlerock,HG,and Gatehouse cams are not even shown.There was virtually no snow left at the Gatehouse loading area as well as CR which is understandable there.The HG loading area looked thin but managable.Today they are only running the Valley House because of "conditions".Whatever that means.They just rebuilt the loading areas with new snow at the base area.

I thought that was odd as well with the other cams disappearing. Actually, GH and CR being taken off didn't surprise me as that is standard once the lift is closed for the season. HG though based on the snow report this morning it seemed was just being closed temporarily today, but only time will tell on that I guess. Have to see what the afternoon report says for tomorrow. Even if they can open it tomorrow, the weather forecast this week doesn't give me much hope that it would last until the weekend unless they can move some snow around from somewhere.

Their open trails also seems a bit odd. They say they have 10 open trails. What's the point of VH traverse being listed as open though if the VH chair is the one running instead of Super Bravo? You'd only need VHT if you're going from Bravo to the VH side. I don't think people are going to go uphill on the traverse from the VH quad over to Allyn's lodge. The trail report also shows Heaven's Gate Traverse as being open. That has to be a mistake as no trails on either end of it are open today. To me it looks like they should have 8 trails open, not 10. This might be picky, but I'm a stickler for accuracy.

cdskier

I guess they must think they can get DS skiable and HG open at least for tomorrow. I still have doubts about it lasting until the weekend when I get back. I'm hoping something on HG lasts until at least Saturday though as it would be nice to ski more than Spring Fling and Steins this weekend.

Here's the latest from the afternoon snow report:
Rain overnight and a week of prime spring skiing left much of the mid-mountain terrain needing a day of patch work. Hopes are high for trail count to rise tomorrow back to 19 trails, served by 2 lifts. The groomers plan to smooth out Spring Fling, Snowball, Downspout and Valley House Traverse.

dlague

Based on reported base depths, they should hang it up. Stowe, Jay and Killington all reporting deeper bases.

Jully

Based on reported base depths, they should hang it up. Stowe, Jay and Killington all reporting deeper bases.

How much can self reported base depths be trusted though? I hardly ever look at those early season because they always seem meaningless. I'd assume it would be the same late season.

cdskier

How much can self reported base depths be trusted though? I hardly ever look at those early season because they always seem meaningless. I'd assume it would be the same late season.

Agreed. Trails like Steins and Spring Fling had plenty of depth left. Saying they should hang it up based on reported base depths is kind of a dumb comment imo. I have doubts that Stowe has a minimum of 30" on all their snowmaking trails as their reported base depth indicates.

As long as the trails are skiable, stay open. Thin cover and bare spots don't bother me and I'd rather ski those conditions than nothing at all.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
On my last run down Downspout Sunday afternoon, it was definitely a challenge trying to make your way down it. But the groomers are working their magic and with temps expected in the 30s tonight at elevation, it will be easier to make something happen. When temps are in the 50s at night, you're doing more damage than good if you put a cat on it. We did get ramps built today at bottom of Bravo and bottom of Heaven's Gate, which hopefully will make it through the night. Then we just have to build top of Bravo and top of HG in the am... an easier-said-than-done process, but we did it in good time Sunday morning and got open for the sunrise service. From what I saw on Sunday afternoon, I really doubt Lower DS/Lower Jester will be skiable, but we will see in the AM. If its not, expect to "upload" to get out of HG, with the Jester->VHT->SB/Fling or Steins to get you back to the base.

Still really good coverage on Spring Fling and Stein's and [most of] Upper Snowball. Even the rock garden bypass was groomed and well covered!

dlague

Agreed. Trails like Steins and Spring Fling had plenty of depth left. Saying they should hang it up based on reported base depths is kind of a dumb comment imo. I have doubts that Stowe has a minimum of 30" on all their snowmaking trails as their reported base depth indicates.

As long as the trails are skiable, stay open. Thin cover and bare spots don't bother me and I'd rather ski those conditions than nothing at all.

It is generally not the trails themselves but the run outs to the chair that get thin fast. I have skied Steins on May 1st but the run out was barely ski able. The were pushing snow from Steins to keep it open.

I can only speculate base on what people are reporting. With a base of 4 inches where ever that is, things are not lasting much longer. Especially with this on the way

Warren.png

Hang it up this is now Killington season! Is that not so dumb now?

Last edited:

cdskier

The 4" is on the trails that were already talked about as being thin, which to be fair are not considered their core spring trails. The runout from Stein's (Coffee Run) had plenty of depth left. I get a little annoyed when people that haven't seen something first hand make comments like that without complete information. That forecast is why I have my doubts about the Heaven's Gate area making it to the weekend (and I made this point in one of my earlier posts). That forecast doesn't have me concerned for the Stein's/Spring Fling trails though. Would I prefer the forecast was different? Of course...but it isn't going to make me say Sugarbush should just give up. As long as Stein's and Spring Fling are skiable, then SB should stay committed to their current operating plan (and knowing Win, that's exactly what he'll do).

Hawk

Yes it is dumb to hang it up. There are a ton of people mostly season pass holders like myself and cdskier that ski until the end and I have even skied past the end on some years by hiking or skinning. As a pass holder these are the days that finish the season and make it great. All of the tourists and fair weather skier are gone and it is the same die hard people that we ski with every year. They are not going to shut it down because there are a few thin spots. Killington season it May and June not now.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It is generally not the trails themselves but the run outs to the chair that get thin fast. I have skied Steins on May 1st but the run out was barely ski able. The were pushing snow from Steins to keep it open.

I can only speculate base on what people are reporting. With a base of 4 inches where ever that is, things are not lasting much longer. Especially with this on the way

View attachment 22489

Hang it up this is now Killington season! Is that not so dumb now?
Yes, still dumb.

That's for the mountain and skiers showing up to decide.

Some SB skiers will move on to Killington. Others will not for a variety of reasons.

If Win wants to go for it as long as he can to please his regular diehards, then good on him.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Duncanator24

Yes it is dumb to hang it up. There are a ton of people mostly season pass holders like myself and cdskier that ski until the end and I have even skied past the end on some years by hiking or skinning. As a pass holder these are the days that finish the season and make it great. All of the tourists and fair weather skier are gone and it is the same die hard people that we ski with every year. They are not going to shut it down because there are a few thin spots. Killington season it May and June not now.
Preach! I would 100% be skiing at the Bush this coming weekend if I wasnt already heading to California. Totally worth the drive up just to lap Steins a hundred times. But I was also totally happy with the 9th being my last day. Lincoln peak was still 100% open and the trees were fully in play with fresh powder. Crazy how fast things went downhill but it would still be plenty of fun either way.

Jcb890

I don't mean to rub it in or rustle any feathers, but Saturday at Killington was probably some of the best real "Spring" riding I have done. Middle of April with highs hitting almost 60 and a lot of open terrain still, all with really good coverage. Small crowds too to boot, my wife and I rode the gondola up by ourselves a few times.

I really appreciate it when the mountains give it that extra push this time of year when I'm not ready to let go of the season.

dlague

Hey I am all about staying open as long as possible and I have skied Sugarbush into May. I was not trying to piss in any ones Cheerios. I was only looking at what people have been reporting which when reading it does not sound that great. Then looking at base depths and the rain coming - I almost hate to see a last minute plug pull. As long as Stein's and Coffee Run have enough snow then Sugarbush should definitely go for it. Maybe they could do the May 1st free day again.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Was pleasantly surprised today.... the patch job on Downspout wasn't bad at all. What was kinda sketchy were the group of skiers going mach 10 behind me through some of the narrower spots. Jester was nice as well, and it was just firm enough in the shade to keep my board going all the way from Jester to SB via VHT. Murphys and Birdland (barely) are still open as is Lower OG. That's your only route to the base from looker's right off Bravo. To get out of Heaven's Gate, you must go up and down either Lower OG or over to the Valley House side.

We'll see how long DS and Heaven's Gate last. At least the blowtorch isn't present like last week, but that warm April sun plus liquid precip is just as bad. We will see some nights this week when the snow "sets up" at night, so that'll help.