• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Those pictures from Whitey aren't as bad as I would have expected. I'd also expect tomorrow to ski better than today after the groomers can get a full night of work in.

MRG at the moment plans on reopening their main mountain tomorrow fwiw...won't know the exact trail count until the morning though.

Whitey

I can understand being upset about wasting money but I was just making observations about what I could see, hence why I asked him to report back on the actual conditions

Missing the point. I'm not "cranky". I've been skiing New England for over 40 yrs. Sh!t happens, ski trips get washed out.
But your post about how CR was so "muuuuch better" looking than after the last rain event was so far from the reality of what I was actually skiing/seeing that I had point that out.

The pictures don't do justice to how bad it is. You see white areas and think that's ski-able. It's not, at least not at any enjoyable level. What's not washed out is an icy mess. It may give us a couple of days of spring like conditions if it warms up but it's really thin and won't last.

You asked for a report on what it was like. Sorry that I have to report that it's a Chernobyl level disaster, but that's what I saw/skied.

Whitey

People are angry because they spent a lot of money on houses and condos (myself included). My family and I made the best of it at Magic and my 3 yr old made some amazing strides while making new friends. Folks need to look on the brightside and enjoy their vacations!

Apples & oranges, my friend. If I still had a couple of little groms in tow I would absolutely 100% be skiing all day long and having fun. But it would be about getting the little guys going and the joy of skiing with your kids, especially when they are first learning. When you are at that stage you are mostly skiing the greenies and it's all groomed, so it really doesn't matter if all that is available on the whole mountain is groomed stuff. But once your kids get past that stage - they will get bored with groomed runs quick. Icy groomed = even quicker.

BTW - those are some pretty cute little ones you've got there. I wouldn't go back and do it again (too many years spent on greenies), but those are wonderful times/ages to be skiing with your kids.

rocks860

Missing the point. I'm not "cranky". I've been skiing New England for over 40 yrs. Sh!t happens, ski trips get washed out.
But your post about how CR was so "muuuuch better" looking than after the last rain event was so far from the reality of what I was actually skiing/seeing that I had point that out.

The pictures don't do justice to how bad it is. You see white areas and think that's ski-able. It's not, at least not at any enjoyable level. What's not washed out is an icy mess. It may give us a couple of days of spring like conditions if it warms up but it's really thin and won't last.

You asked for a report on what it was like. Sorry that I have to report that it's a Chernobyl level disaster, but that's what I saw/skied.

The webcam of castlerock after the last rain event didn't even have snow, it was just bare ground. That's what I meant by much better, it wasn't a comment on skiability or anything like that.

MadMadWorld

Apples & oranges, my friend. If I still had a couple of little groms in tow I would absolutely 100% be skiing all day long and having fun. But it would be about getting the little guys going and the joy of skiing with your kids, especially when they are first learning. When you are at that stage you are mostly skiing the greenies and it's all groomed, so it really doesn't matter if all that is available on the whole mountain is groomed stuff. But once your kids get past that stage - they will get bored with groomed runs quick. Icy groomed = even quicker.

BTW - those are some pretty cute little ones you've got there. I wouldn't go back and do it again (too many years spent on greenies), but those are wonderful times/ages to be skiing with your kids.

I don't know about that. I've seen expert kids having fun doing laps o the Practice Slope at MRG as well as limited terrain at Magic. Kids will make the best of bad conditions if they are with their ski buddies. Teenagers are a different story though!

cdskier

The webcam of castlerock after the last rain event didn't even have snow, it was just bare ground. That's what I meant by much better, it wasn't a comment on skiability or anything like that.

Right...what happened a few weeks ago was much worse. This (while maybe not skiable) is at least a frozen base that will be helpful should we get natural snow now.

Last time we went from 100% open to trails being nearly completely bare. THAT was sad and a disaster. This time I do not see anywhere near that level of brown and green showing. No matter how thin/frozen it may be, it is still better than building on top of nothing at all.

I do wish Sugarbush had better webcam angles though. Sure it is nice to see the lift lines at key lifts, but I'd love to have better views of the mountain itself. MRG has a nice new webcam on their site.

tnt1234

I've never been to SB. Outside - way outside - chance that the storm next week makes it worth staying an extra day and we hit it on the way home. Mainly to hike castle rock and give it a go.

More than likely, if we stay through monday, we'll do MRG, but who knows....

steamboat1

nhskier1969

There back, a little thin but great mid-winter day at SB. take a look at a couple pics from today
IMG_1193.jpg
IMG_1208.jpg
IMG_1210.jpg

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Seems like every time I go there it isn't running

For Slidebrook to run, there must be sufficient snow depths under the lift for evac procedures, and temp must be, IIRC, above 5*F. I seem to recall that it was never a mid-week lift anyway, except during holiday periods. Maybe Win or ShadyJay will stumble in and correct if I misremember.

cdskier

For Slidebrook to run, there must be sufficient snow depths under the lift for evac procedures, and temp must be, IIRC, above 5*F. I seem to recall that it was never a mid-week lift anyway, except during holiday periods. Maybe Win or ShadyJay will stumble in and correct if I misremember.

The past 2 or maybe 3 years they've changed to running it 7 days a week as long as the conditions you mentioned are met. This year that hasn't been much.

HowieT2

Castlerock was nice today. Multiple trips. One good dump and we're in business. Groomers were "firm"