• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Glove advice

Mildcat

I'm looking for some gloves for those really cold and windy days. I'm thinking leather. I prefer under the cuff but that's not a deal breaker. Any suggestions?

roark

They're definitely not hestras, but kinco 901's are rock solid for $15-20. Just be sure to sno-seal them.

wa-loaf

How are they in bone chilling weather? Do you know how those compare to the Hestra Army Gore-tex gloves?

I used them nights all season at WA last year. There were at least a couple bone chilling nights and they worked fine. I wouldn't pay $150 for them, but if you find a deal ... I'm happy with the $60 I payed for mine.

Mildcat

I used them nights all season at WA last year. There were at least a couple bone chilling nights and they worked fine. I wouldn't pay $150 for them, but if you find a deal ... I'm happy with the $60 I payed for mine.

I'll have to keep an eye on Tramdock, at that price I'd take a chance.

I bought these off Tramdock over the summer. I can't wait to test them out this season.

http://www.backcountry.com/outdoorgear/Hestra-Army-Leather-Gore-Tex-XCR-Glove/HES0023M.html

I saw an under the cuff version of the Army G-Tex gloves but not in my size. Think they would be warmer than the Hestra Vertical Cut Gloves?

bigbog

Hestras have the reputation from all over. I have some Marmot "Ultimates"? for almost a decade..still going strong...leather with long cuff= really warm....but I don't think they're the greatest in Spring conditions/temps with water-laden snow...even after waterproofing...guess is that one needs good % of Gore-tex outer...
$.01

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
That looks like a great deal. I paid near full retail at the local shop. I was hesitant to pull the trigger from places like tramdock as I'm not all that confident in consistencies in hand sizes across brands.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I've used Hestra for countless years and IMO you can't beat them for warmth or duribility. I have this glove http://www.hestragloves.com/www/liv...t.aspx?treeid=321&shoptreeid=19&ProductID=204

only mine are now 4 years old and still goin wicked strong.
That's why I went with Hestra's when I saw them on Tramdock. I've read reviews online and people say the last for years. I've been going the cheap route for a few years now and wanted something to last me for several seasons.

wa-loaf

If you are really worried about cold, you should get mittens for those days ... gloves can't compare for warmth.

Mildcat

I purchased these, though in black for last season. Great glove, fingers never got cold and the versatility is fantastic. I'm not sure the same model is still available, but their 2 and 1 system is great.

http://www.levelninesports.com/leve...tml?gdftrk=gdfV2669_a_7c788_a_7c3034_a_7c6590

Just pulled the trigger on these. Good price but the shipping was high, $15 to ship a pair of gloves UPS ground. :-o

If you are really worried about cold, you should get mittens for those days ... gloves can't compare for warmth.

I don't really have a problem with cold hands, It's just time to replace my worn out old gloves.

Thanks for all of the input, hopefully these work out and I won't have to buy another pair for quite a while.

drjeff

Hestras have the reputation from all over. I have some Marmot "Ultimates"? for almost a decade..still going strong...leather with long cuff= really warm....but I don't think they're the greatest in Spring conditions/temps with water-laden snow...even after waterproofing...guess is that one needs good % of Gore-tex outer...
$.01

Marmot Ultimates! I'll second that. Get the mittens if your worried about cold fingers. I've got the gloves, my wife has the mittens. I only wear mine on COLD days (high temps in the low teens max) - they're too warm for me other wise. My "cold blooded" wife finds that hers get too warm for her close to the freezing point!