• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

off-season shopping list

bvibert

Staff member
I wouldn't own a Watea 84 and 94, too close IMHO. I got the 94s because my previous ski was an 84 waist (which I still have and haven't used since I got the Wateas) and I wanted more width. If I were to have another ski I'd go for something narrower than 84.

gmcunni

I definitely need poles since I bent the crap out of mine yard sailing it repeatedly at Sugarloaf

i got Goode composite poles 6+ years ago and they are still going strong, bending isn't a problem. i've put my full body weight on one to stand up without a problem.

roark

But if you had Watea 84s as well, which would get more use?

My assertion here is that if you had 2 skis with otherwise very similar characteristics, the 80-85 underfoot ski is a better day to day ski than the 90-95 underfoot ski. It'll be quicker and hold a better edge, which for 90% of the time is more important than float in the East. Even if you avoid hardpack completely, the quickness alone is so much more important than float. I absolutely hate my midfats at this point, but it's because of the flex, not width.
Yup, flex and shape are equally as if not more important than waist width alone. The atuas at 96 seem just as quick as my m666 at 76, with a more forgiving and versatile flex.

hammer

Thanks for the advice...just waiting to see if the prices for the 110 will drop from ~$500 anywhere. :-?
Just picked up a pair of 09/10 Nordica Speedmachine 110s from REI for $250. Tried them on and they fit fine out of the box, should not need much work to get the fit just right. Only complaint is that I have to wait until next season to try them out on the slopes.

Feeling a bit guilty since I didn't need to replace my current boots but it was hard not to pull the trigger at that price.

snowmonster

Need:
OTG goggles (present pair are hopelessly scratched and I need one with a longer strap for the helmet)
whippet ski poles (security for the steeps)
Avy transceiver

Want:
Pro Shell bibs
ski crampons

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
Nada, my wife and I always look for post season sales. This year as we pass by sale signs at ski shops I ask her if she wants to stop in. Her response, we don't need anything. She's right.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Just picked up a pair of 09/10 Nordica Speedmachine 110s from REI for $250. Tried them on and they fit fine out of the box, should not need much work to get the fit just right. Only complaint is that I have to wait until next season to try them out on the slopes.

Feeling a bit guilty since I didn't need to replace my current boots but it was hard not to pull the trigger at that price.

Good call, as I think I read somewhere that Nordica has replaced the Speedmachine line next season.

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
Got a Jacket at Stowe for next season...
New Helmet and goggle's. My son looked in my Helmet and said EWWW...you need a new one. So thats my birthday present!
New Thule/Yak box. Old one that my wife ran into the garage finally started to crack on the sides....prayed it would make it home from Stowe..It did!

And my son needs 4 pairs of Race skis! Uggh!!! Thank god for Pro pricing! I hope to only pay for one or 2 pairs..told him to get a job to buy the others!

vdk03

Id like a new coat, some kind of shell/raincoat that i could use to ride with but also use as my raincoat for the rest of the year. Any suggestions?

also will be picking up a helmet for next season

mrksn

Altho expensive I keep an eye out for any smartwool baselayers and socks on sale, can never have enough!

SkiFanE

I finally ordered a pair of waterproof ski pants, Sierra Trading Post, 25% off through today (but was 20% off through yesterday, so who knows what tomorrow will bring lol).

I'd like a new ski jacket for next year, like the Mammut shell types, except for the price and no good deals on line. Will hold off until a deal drops in my lap. Have to match my new charcoal ski pants.

Ordered some Yeti skis :) Knotty woods, with my own custom graphics. My first pair of mid-fats - 91 underfoot I think. Can't wait to see and ski them. I'm usually a frugal cheapo about skis, but decided I was worth it this year :)

Whatever TJMaxx offers up in the fall, usually ski socks, couple pairs of cheap goggles, baselayers for us and kiddos.

bigbog

kincos dude, kincos. but hestras are what most are wearing ;)
I also got 8 days in on the praxis pows :razz:

Hey, glad you guys mentioned the Kincos, really like em'...for more than skiing...
Some of those Indies put out some fun skis....for a powderski, along with Blizzard, Fischer, Atomic....;-)

Last edited:

gmcunni

seems like killer deals are harder to find these days but will be keeping an eye out for a few new items this summer. Before the start of next season i'm hoping to have new:

• skis
  • boots
  • pants
  • gloves
  • goggles

i have no idea how i'll be able to afford it all but will be keeping an eye our for sales and deals.

What's on your list?

i've not purchased 1 thing for skiing ... boots are top of list, need to start shopping!!

bigbog

Don't know if it's just me noticing more this year or not, but the boot selection for guys like me with...shall we say the "challenged fit" has gone off the chart! (in comparison to the past)

Last edited: