• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

12/9 Storm Discussion Thread

Robbski

The only good thing about my ride in this morning is that it's over. Loads of traffic did make for slower speeds which was good. Only saw one accident on the side of the road.

AWD...good. Low-profile "all-season" tires...not so good. Need to look into winter tire and wheel options that don't run over $1000...:roll:

Bout the same traffic experience.

Haven't put my snows on yet. Was curious to see how the low profile "all season" Goodyears performed.
Just as expected, they sucked a little less than summer tires in the 4-5 inches of snow and slop. But they still sucked.

Greg

Staff member
From Killington's Facebook page:

14534_207901834400_34949209400_3029045_5973146_n.jpg

hammer

Changed to rain on the way to Marlboro Mass, about 1030. Hardpacked snow roads got interesting once they got wet. The snow is wicked heavy, water-laden, "heart-attack snow." Good news is that there are more plows on the roads at that hour than cars. I guess everyone is at home eating milk sandwiches. I was surprised yet pleased that our schools were not canceled.

Ah, perfectly good tools in the hands of inept, untrained drivers is a real shame. A honking Escalade, with big mutha tires, stability, traction, abs, many wheel drive and god know what else, was crawling along at 15mph, constantly braking, on 2" of fresh pow. The parade behind her was longer than our 4th of July event :( Then there was a Jag that never got out of 2nd gear, with about 4". Cripes, Honda Civics were passing him! Some people really should stay home.
Should they stay home? Perhaps...can they stay home? Perhaps not.

I didn't feel all that sure of how well my tires were gripping this morning so I did drive slower than many. Stayed in the right hand lane as much as possible. Better to get in later and in one piece.

WJenness

A mixture of rain and sleet hitting my office window here in Woburn, MA.

Lots of beautiful blues up north on the radar...

-w

catskills

Snow Depth 12/9/2009

Woodstock, NY (1 mile from RT 28 ) - 8 inches of snow on the moist heavy side. Should be an excellent base and save ski areas here in the Catskills a lot of money. At noon time there is a very light rain falling, which may turn back to snow in a few hours.

This accuweather map says 3 inches here in the Catskills. They got it wrong at my house.

iws0_430.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Should they stay home? Perhaps...can they stay home? Perhaps not.

I didn't feel all that sure of how well my tires were gripping this morning so I did drive slower than many. Stayed in the right hand lane as much as possible. Better to get in later and in one piece.

People taking driving a 5000 pound projectile far more cavalierly than they should. Should she have taken a winter driving course? Can she afford a winter driving course? Can she take a taxi? I don't think anyone driving an Escalade is without means or options.

hammer

People taking driving a 5000 pound projectile far more cavalierly than they should. Should she have taken a winter driving course? Can she afford a winter driving course? Can she take a taxi? I don't think anyone driving an Escalade is without means or options.
Yup...usual thinking in the SUV crowd, believing that size and AWD will save the day. Problem I usually see is that far too many drive them too fast.

Getting quite wet out there. Actually hope that the precip ends up north before the NCP line moves up any further.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Yup...usual thinking in the SUV crowd, believing that size and AWD will save the day. Problem I usually see is that far too many drive them too fast.

Getting quite wet out there. Actually hope that the precip ends up north before the NCP line moves up any further.

It's the advertising which higlights all the features that cars have for improved winter driving, but conveniently fail to mention that there are only 4 points that your car actually touches the road.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
There is incompetence at both ends of the spectrum. I really wish driver's ed included an in-season module on winter driving. Or why can't the Caddy dealer offer the course to a first time driver? I don't limit my comments to SUV, it's all about all projectiles, 2000 pounds or 5000.

catskills

There is incompetence at both ends of the spectrum. I really wish driver's ed included an in-season module on winter driving. Or why can't the Caddy dealer offer the course to a first time driver? I don't limit my comments to SUV, it's all about all projectiles, 2000 pounds or 5000.
Years ago my high school driver ed teacher took us out to snow covered parking lots where the instructor ran the gas and brake and put you into a slide and told you now make the car go straight. The driver was not allowed to touch the brake or the gas. Most times it took two fish tails before getting the car to go straight. Very good training for newbie drivers living in snow country when vehicles had rear wheel drive and snow tires only on the rear wheels.

hammer

Reminded me..I need to get my son to an empty parking lot so he can get used to the feel of driving on snow/ice. :roll:

jbs1677

Any word on what it did/ or is doing at Killington right now. They are advertising 11 of new snow in the last 24 hours which I am sure is an exageration of the truth. Any first hand accounts of the weather? I looked like it snowed the entire night and morning and the rain line seems to have passed to the east and now it looks like there isn't much going on... what's the story? Anyone? Anyone? BUELLER??

Greg

Staff member
Any word on what it did/ or is doing at Killington right now. They are advertising 11 of new snow in the last 24 hours which I am sure is an exageration of the truth. Any first hand accounts of the weather? I looked like it snowed the entire night and morning and the rain line seems to have passed to the east and now it looks like there isn't much going on... what's the story? Anyone? Anyone? BUELLER??

Facebook pics from Killington and Mount Snow both showed 9" a few hours ago. I think 11" is totally plausible. Looks like they got dry-slotted which is good since I doubt much rain fell.

Based on the K1 web cam it's still dumping:

http://www.killington.com/winter/multimedia/webcam/index.html

I would expect some lake effect upslope the next few days. There are some pics from skiingsnow on K-zone from earlier today. Looks awesome. K-1 is on wind hold, but that's fine by me. Powder preservation for Friday. ;)