• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A night in the life of a Mt. Ellen groomer...

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Warning: Obnoxiously long post below! You are about to learn what a whole grooming shift is like. Read on at your own risk!

The Smuggs article was interesting, and I figured I could go ahead and put together a little bit of a more realtime description of what actually goes on at night. It's so common for the recreational skier to have absolutely no idea what happens after the lifts close at 4. When they're all heading the bar/hotel/whatever at the end of their day, our day is just getting started!

3:45PM -- Arrive at vehicle maintenance shop. At this point, we punch in, review the night's grooming plan, get the machines running and warmed up, and then do a pre-operations inspection of the snowcats. We check ATF for the hydraulic/hydrostat system, we check engine oil, light operation, track tension, and check for general integrity of the frame and implements. After the pre-ops, we head back into the shop and discuss anything of note for the evening, i.e. dumpster transports, building start ramps for a race, specific patterns, etc. We usually have about 20 minutes or so just to stand around and BS before sweeps come down.

4:40PM -- Patrol sweeps are down and the mountain is clear. Now the fun begins. We hop in the cats, and start making our way up the mountain. Depending on what trails are on the plan, we may groom as a pair, or individually. The biggest chunks of acreage, such as Inverness, we work on together. Inverness is 12 passes wide, and each loop with the base area takes a good 35 minutes. We also grooming Northway and the Expressway in conjunction with Inverness. Other trails we split up and do some work ourselves. For the most part, this is the "daily grind" of grooming. But there are plenty of exciting nights, especially freegrooming the steeper pitches.

Most folks don't realize that a pitch like the top headwall of Inverness should be winched. However, because our winch at Mt. Ellen broke down early in the season, we were tasked with freegrooming it every night. This is okay in medium-hard snow, but a challenge in icy or soft conditions. If it's icy, the lighter machine could not make it up over the headwall, and slides on the way down the headwall. In soft snow, neither machine could climb without augering a nice "coffin" into the trail. So in fresh snow conditions without a hard base a couple inches beneath, we have no choice but to go around and make down passes. Now there are several problems with this. First of all, it takes a long time. Second of all, because skiers spend all day pushing snow downhill, we want to push it back uphill. But if we can't climb the trail, we don't have a choice. The third problem is that it can be, how do they say it now, "sketchy" going down over the headwall in deep fresh. I've gone into many a fun slide. I use the word fun, but it is also scary. The trail humps toward the middle on the headwall, so there is a slight sidehill on both sides. On skiers' left, you slide uncomfortably close to the treeline. On skiers' right, you slide very much uncomfortably close to one particular lift tower. Regardless, it's certainly a rush, and there are methods of controlling the slide. For example, in a moderate slide, increasing ground speed and punching the accelerator may be enough to catch yourself up to your slide. In a more extreme case, you are forced to resort to techniques such as frame riding and blade steering. Exciting stuff, really!

And the evening rolls on. At Mt. Ellen, we usually work one trail/area at a time. Then:

8:00PM -- Head to the shop or to the Glen House for a lunch break. We sit down, relax a bit, have a bite to eat, discuss anything of pertinence related to grooming, and then we solve all of the other problems of the world.

8:45 -- Head back out to another section of the mountain. If we ate at the shop, we usually stay on lower mountain and leave upper for the morning shift. We would proceed to Cruiser or Which Way or Northstar, depending on the plan. But there's more to it than that. Along the way, we have to do the little things, like backing up to each lift, taking care of seemingly unimportant areas like Mainstream and "Time Square" (base of Northridge/Drive of Slidebrook). Aside from that, we just keep on grooming. If we ate lunch at Glen House, we proceed to upper mountain, and do Elbow and Upper Rim Run, or just all of Rim Run. If we don't have Inverness to groom at all, the scene is entirely different, and we can finish most of the main mountain ourselves in one shift.

11:15PM -- Start working our way down the hill. We head for the fuel pump, proceed to pump 30-50 gallons of diesel in each machine, and then park at the shop. If the next shift needs both cats, we leave them warm and running. Otherwise, we shut one down, clean it off (brush/shovel snow), and plug it in.

That's a fairly typical night grooming at Mt. Ellen.

Now, let's have a look at what we do when we are grooming. It's not just driving over the snow, as many believe it is. The age old theory is, "if you don't have a full blade of snow all night, you're not grooming!" We're always pushing snow around. Pushing it uphill, flattening out the humps and bumps (rarely, of course!), and bringing it back in from the sides. A busy day can result in tons and tons of snow moving from the middle of the trail to the sides of a trail. We have to fix that! Under most circumstances, you are skiing a completely resurfaced trail each day, not just a "tilled" trail. Lots and lots of blade work!

So here are a few pictures to demonstrate some of what goes on.

In the photo below, I am working a windrow across Rim Run. I am pulling the excess snow out of the edge, and bringing it back to the middle. This starts as a very large windrow, and as you work toward the middle, you "dump" some of the snow to fill where the snow was pushed toward the edge. The result is a resurfaced trail. You can also work with windrows, even without cutting the edge. You can blade a little deeper and really turn the snow over, and move it around the trail.

rimc.jpg

And here is a sort of a "start to finish" set of photos. This was during a morning shift I worked near the end of the season. This is Crackerjack. It's flat, so there's nothing particularly exciting.

Getting started:

crack1.jpg

Gettin there:

crack2.jpg

Finished and smooth:

crackdone.jpg

And just for fun, here are some more various grooming photos.

Older PB300:

62.jpg

If a cat doesn't have sticks/paddles, it has a yoke. Stupid concept, in my opinion, but it gets the job done:

yoke.jpg

Newer Prinoth BR-350:

60.jpg

Demo PB400 (awesome machine!):

400.jpg

Cab of the PB400:

400cab.jpg

Tiller on the PB400:

tiller.jpg

More in the next post......

Last edited:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Is that a UFO??? Nope... just the winch cat coming up over Cliffs using my cat as his anchor (pick point):

ufo.jpg

Another shot of the old PB300:

old62.jpg

Sometimes visibility is an issue:

visibility.jpg

But it is awfully beautiful up there (Panorama):

pano.jpg

And we make this stuff called corduroy (I make it all night, and avoid it all day!):

cord1.jpg

cord3.jpg

Here I am, sitting in the office:

pcat.jpg

And here's the old man, still visiting the operator's seat from time to time:

edge.jpg

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
nice moustache..do you have to know how to drive a stick shift to drive a groomer?

Haha... yes, thanks!

Nope on the stick shift. But you had better be able to multitask, for sure! It's a lot more demanding than driving a stick. GSS, if you ever come back to the Bush, you should come up for a cat ride.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Sweet pics! Thanks for the narrative. I personally like that fresh grooming and enjoy looking at the 'Ellen runs at night. I came up and watched you guys work on the evening of March 14th. Now I know why that cat was struggling up Inverness. I didn't realize that you needed a winch cat for that.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh, and did you see THIS, BMM?

How does the grooming plan differ at Lincoln Peak and how many machines do they run there? Now this may sound odd, but do you know what they do for the runs that they groom at MRG?

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Sweet pics! Thanks for the narrative. I personally like that fresh grooming and enjoy looking at the 'Ellen runs at night. I came up and watched you guys work on the evening of March 14th. Now I know why that cat was struggling up Inverness. I didn't realize that you needed a winch cat for that.

It's pushing 24 or 25 degrees on skiers' right of the headwall. We could walk right up over it, but forget about tilling or blading unless the snow is hard (but not icy). Half of the time, we don't even try to touch it with the Edge (see the last photo), because it does not have enough ice caulks in the tracks, and just spins and spins. The Prinoth climbs it pretty well, but if there is a lot of fresh, forget it! If you want to have some fun, come watch after a deep snowfall if we're grooming Inverness. You'll see us creep up over the breakover, and then break loose and slide all the way to the flats below the headwall. Sometimes we slide sideways. Other times, we spin all the way around! Fun stuff! :D

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Oh, and did you see THIS, BMM?

How does the grooming plan differ at Lincoln Peak and how many machines do they run there? Now this may sound odd, but do you know what they do for the runs that they groom at MRG?

I quit posting on SkiMRV for a variety of reasons, none of which were mentioned there. No one asked, or even suggested that I leave. My decision.

Lincoln peak runs 3-4 cats on first shift, and 2-3 on the morning shift. More on weekends/holidays, fewer toward the end of the season.

I've only ever seen Travis grooming at MRG on the morning shift. They run an old PB280 with a ton of hours. No winching, all freegrooming. And he leaves his damn beacon on all night. I can see the thing flashing! :wink:

We rarely winch anything other than Inverness at Mt. Ellen (only because we don't generally groom the steeps). Pick point for Inverness is a specific tree at the top. Cliffs, as you see above, we do half occasionally, and use another cat as a pick point. We didn't groom FIS/Exterm at all this season, and the snow was much better for it. As soon as you hit a steep trail with a cat, it skis down to cleat marks the rest of the season. I am adamantly opposed to grooming steep trails.

Last edited:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
To answer one of the SkiMRV questions, if we did happen to groom the steeper terrain at Mt. Ellen (of the trails that are really "groomable," of course), we would need a winch for Cliffs, Tumbler, Encore, Bravo, Exterminator, FIS. Lower FIS is usually done with down passes and a huge fricken loop. But we didn't groom it this year. Cliffs and Encore can be freegroomed, but usually only downhill. Exterminator, on hard snow, could probably be groomed downhill.

But remember, we want to move snow uphill, not downhill. So winching is the only reasonable option to actually accomplish something worthwhile.

But I'm quite happy staying off of that terrain. As fun as steep grooming is, bumps are much more fun to ski than cord, and trails that we stay off of recover much faster from bad weather, and ski much better imo.

Greg

Staff member
Nice job sabotaging that winch. ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'm surprised that you can use a tree as a pick point. I would not think that would provide enough stability. But the winch only acts to help the machine climb, yes? You would (ideally) never have 16,000 lbs of dead weight on the line at any time I would hope.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
You have to be very selective about the particular tree you pick from. You don't want a shallow-rooted tree. The results are devastating. I have a picture of what happens, and I'll post it when I find it. And yes, the capstan winches we use in the industry now are called assist winches, and are usually only rated to about half the weight of the cat. The rest is still done with ground pressure and track power. In the days of LMC, they used to use front-mount braden winches, which were full-pull winches.

Ah, yes... Sugarbushhistory.com. One of these days, I'll do a complete rebuild. I haven't updated it in over a year :lol:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I thought that was your site....when I get a chance to do some digging, I may have something to donate to you....circa 1993-1994. The literature that got me as a teenager psyched about this place called "Sugarbush."