• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AlpineReplay

skiNEwhere

The slope angle section of alpine replay needs some major tweaks. According to the app, I've skied 80 degree trails at Copper Mtn....

x10003q

I just got a Samsung Note 4. I usually ski all day and with the note 4 I am at 70% battery at the end of the day. The new phone makes a huge difference. I used to have to plug in at lunch and even then the old droid would not make it to the end of the day.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Slightly OT, but do you carry that thing in your front/back pocket? I'm still clinging to the SII, only because I hate how ginormous phones have become in the last 3 years, like holding a tablet to your face in some instances. But my SII is becoming outdated and near capacity, and when I use Phresheez on it for ski tracking, it will kill my battery in 1/2 a day.

When I recently purchased a new phone, I went with the HTC One mini. Perfect size phone IMO. Performs well.

BenedictGomez

The slope angle section of alpine replay needs some major tweaks. According to the app, I've skied 80 degree trails at Copper Mtn....

That's funny.

When I recently purchased a new phone, I went with the HTC One mini. Perfect size phone IMO. Performs well.

Does seem perfect; basically the same as my Galaxy SII. Does it have an internal or external battery (cant find that in the specs)?

gmcunni

i'm convinced the newest version of Trace (formerly known as AlpineReplay) is specifically designed to sell more of their new hardware trackers by totally killing your phone's battery.

i used to be able to ski all day, dabble in multiple apps during that time and never drop below 50%. now if i have Trace open and even think about using another app i'm down to 30% in just a few hours. using those same apps casually while not running Trace is not a problem.

not cool Trace. will be replacing it next season with a different app.

drjeff

I run trace all day (like usually 7hrs non stop) on my Droid Turbo, and rarely go below 75% battery, even if I'm checking social media and/or e-mails + texts during lift rides or breaks.

Way better with this phone, than the previous Droid RAZR Maxx I had!

yeggous

What phone are you using? I've found my Samsung S7 gets terrible life compared to my iPhone 6.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

gmcunni

i have a couple of similar chargers (freebies from computer shows). i'm just pissed because trace used to not have this issue.

BenedictGomez

I picked up a little portable charger and no longer worry about my battery. If it gets low, I just plug it in while its in my pocket.

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerCore-Lipstick-Sized-Generation-High-Quality/dp/B005X1Y7I2/

That's a great idea, I'm going to pick a few of those up. I have larger 10,000mah and 30,000mah ones I use while camping, but I bet I could get 2 charges out of 3350mah.

EDIT:

Candybar style holds > 5000mah

http://www.amazon.com/Anker-bar-Siz...681942&sr=1-5&keywords=Anker+portable+charger

Last edited:

skiNEwhere

Not happy with trace management at all. I paid $40 for a year membership to trace in September which unlocks extra stuff. A couple weeks ago, I noticed all that stuff was gone, and replaced with "get trace to track xxx". The trace device is basically this small puck shaped thingamijigy that goes on your ski and costs like $200.

So I sent them an email asking for a prorated refund since I'm not get a year of services.. No response. Assholes

dlague

I had installed several of these types of Apps but found myself focused on vertical and speed rather than whether I had fun or not. Every run was about beating top speeds from earlier. Friends I ski with that use such apps are annoying because they check their phone at the end of each run and stick it you face to show you in chest pounding fashion. Or better yet while we lunch they over analyze it showing you the details. The person that really cares is the owner of the phone!

Cannonball

I had installed several of these types of Apps but found myself focused on vertical and speed rather than whether I had fun or not. Every run was about beating top speeds from earlier. Friends I ski with that use such apps are annoying because they check their phone at the end of each run and stick it you face to show you in chest pounding fashion. Or better yet while we lunch they over analyze it showing you the details. The person that really cares is the owner of the phone!

That definitely happens. I made my nephews uninstall the apps after one of them took a scary fall trying to break his speed record. I'm totally guilty of it too.

But the real reason I use these apps is just to keep track of days, vertical, etc. I like to keep a journal of my whole ski season but I don't always get around to writing it every day. I use the app data to refresh my memory when I finally do sit down to write.

jimmywilson69

I've never got into tracking the stats and trying to beat at time or speed. I like it more as a record of what I did for the day. I do like to see how much vertical I obtain, especially when I'm up north. When I'm local, its laughable that after 14 runs I have the equivalent of 4-5 runs at Stowe!

Jcb890

What phone are you using? I've found my Samsung S7 gets terrible life compared to my iPhone 6.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

My S6 seems to handle it pretty well from a battery life standpoint.

xlr8r

I started using Ski Tracks instead of Trace last week in Steamboat and already prefer it. All the stats are updated and displayed throughout your session in real time, instead of being downloaded at the end of your session. Much simpler interface, and seems to use less battery power.