• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

And the most expensive lift ticket for 2012-2013 goes to........

Puck it

Found it!

EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado — The Vail and Beaver Creek single-day lift ticket price has gone up to $116 this week, one of the busiest weeks of the ski season.

The price is up from $108 during the same week in 2010, although Vail Resorts says its guests are increasingly buying season passes and advance purchase passes rather than single-day tickets.

AdironRider

I checked the cc statement and the statment was $232 from the Vail Ticket Kiosk. I know for sure the ticket charge was separate.

Not sure if they do a similar deal to Jay/Stowe and charge you for RFID.

bobbutts

What an awkward pricing structure. I mean their multi-resort season's pass prices are far cheaper than you can find for any large resort out here and their day tickets are far more expensive.

Epic Pass no blackout is $699 adult, $359 child
At $116 per holiday the payoff is in ~6 days for an adult.

Contrast with Stowe, I'll use the expired early season rate:
$1,653
At $92 per holiday the payoff is in ~18 days for an adult.

As someone who is happy to buy a pass, I find myself jealous. Epic pass is a no-brainer.

Polarizor

Found it!

EAGLE COUNTY, Colorado — The Vail and Beaver Creek single-day lift ticket price has gone up to $116 this week, one of the busiest weeks of the ski season.

The price is up from $108 during the same week in 2010, although Vail Resorts says its guests are increasingly buying season passes and advance purchase passes rather than single-day tickets.

President's week?

snoseek

If you get there early and know where to go there is free parking at vail. The epic pass is a great deal and vail is definitely a fun mountain,but at those walk up prices I can think of plenty of places in Colorado I'd rather be. For that money I'd rather be at aspen, tride, copper, crested butte ect......

4aprice

What an awkward pricing structure. I mean their multi-resort season's pass prices are far cheaper than you can find for any large resort out here and their day tickets are far more expensive.

Epic Pass no blackout is $699 adult, $359 child
At $116 per holiday the payoff is in ~6 days for an adult.

Contrast with Stowe, I'll use the expired early season rate:
$1,653
At $92 per holiday the payoff is in ~18 days for an adult.

As someone who is happy to buy a pass, I find myself jealous. Epic pass is a no-brainer.

No brainer for the hard core skier and those lucky enough to be in the Denver area for sure. Shows how much they rely on the out of town market. Most people come in on a 6 day trip and many of those take days off. Utah has not followed suit with a similar pass and as your Stowe example illustrates it ain't happening here in the east.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Polarizor

My sis is now "from" Texas and skis Deer Valley. I think most of the people "from" Texas who ski Utah are likely from other parts....not actual Texans.

RISkier

We bought the Epic pass a couple of years ago and did two trips. Spent a week in Vail and then 8 nights in Frisco. Got about 15 days of skiing on the pass. Don't know the numbers but I'd guess there is a completely different distribution of day skiers and vacation skiers in the East. My guess is a much larger proportion of day trippers in the East and a much higher proportion of 4+ day vacationers in many parts of the West. They kind of keep the price of the Epic pass at a point where it doesn't make sense unless folks are planning to ski at least 7 days. But yes, the Epic pass is a real deal. We liked skiing at Vail but didn't like the town much. Though we didn't stay in Breck we enjoyed the village when we were there and we really liked staying in downtown Frisco.

UVSHTSTRM

How does it go? "Texas the most $40,000 a year millionaires in the country".

fbrissette

You are correct. They are actually charging more during the Christmas Break $109. Ridiculous, especially seeing as it's impossible to ski even half the mountain in one day

How about most expensive in the east ? I got Stowe at 92$. Tremblant used to be just as high, but they have brought down the price to just 76$ this year.

ScottySkis

Stratton (also Intrawest) also lowered their price considerably.

I can't imagine either was in response to Jay targeting day trippers.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
As a day skiers I as much as I know about the snow fall amount at Jay and glades and lack of steepness and lack of natural snow at Stratton, in the last five years I been to Stratton 5 times and Jay 0. Mostly because of commute from where I live, not how much it cost for a lift ticket.

fbrissette

Do you think that's in response to Jay lowering their price?

I don't think so. I have not skied Tremblant since we moved the second home to Jay Peak, so, for all I know, they could have lowered their prices last year. I think that the past five years have been tough at Tremblant who relies a lot on visitors from the USA and abroad (incredibly enough, they get a lot of Europeans and Japanese skiers). With the world wide crisis and high dollar value, I think that the price decrease outlines the fact that they need the local skiers a lot more than they used to.

As mentioned below this might be an Intrawest strategy. In any event, I have not seen any Jay winter publicity for Montreal yet, so I would think that very few people actually know that daily prices have gone down. Jay seems to mostly market their waterpark to the Montreal crowd.

Last time I rented a cottage in Tremblant (that was 11 years ago), the regular price for a daily ticket was 85$. The 76$ ticket is nearly10$ below the 2001 rate !

Last edited: