• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Asolo Hiking Boots

thetrailboss

Staff member
So what is difference (performance-wise, durability, stability, comfort) between this boot:

210220367_dkgraph_200.jpg

ASOLO Men's Powermatic 200 GV Boots, MSRP $230

More info is HERE.

And this boot (which I own an older model that needs replacing):

210164023_chestnut_400.jpg

ASOLO Men's TPS 520 GV Boots, MSRP $215.

More info is HERE.

Anyone have these boots? Anyone use them? I know more about the second one, since I have used them since 1999. But what about the new model?

cbcbd

They both have a different fit and the Powermatic has extra cushioning in the midsole. Other than that... the uppers, the shank, and I believe the grommets are the same - I know the Powermatic has grommets with pulleys that helps constricts the whole boot evenly when you pull on the laces... don't remember about the TPS.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I love full grain uppers, but man. That's pricey.

They are.

20% off at EMS this coming week. Makes it somewhat easier to swallow. Just had a B-day...so pooling the $$$ I got from that to get them.

Grassi21

Just had a B-day...so pooling the $$$ I got from that to get them.

Doesn't that just make the big purchases easier to swallow? My kayak was purchased with gift cards I received for my b-day and one from the booster club for coaching lax.

I've never owned a good pair of hiking boots. In years past I have worn trail running shoes (did the first 30 miles of the Appalachian Trail in Nike ACG trail running shoes) or low end Merrills. Wifey and I have been more and more into hiking the past few years. I should look into investing in some nice boots.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Doesn't that just make the big purchases easier to swallow? My kayak was purchased with gift cards I received for my b-day and one from the booster club for coaching lax.

Exactly! I have enough $$$ to buy these boots...have budgeted $$$ for that. Mine are from 2000. Technically, I have hiked in them since 1999, but the first pair went back because of a minor stitching problem. They have seen a lot of action.

Soles are holding up, but the leather has stretched out so much that they are too big for me. Boots have gone everywhere...Greens, Dacks, Whites, Maine, Scotland's Highlands, Swiss Alps, Mass mountains, etc. Have been used for daytrips (primarily 4,000 footers), backpacking, and winter uses (snowshoeing). Not so much backpacking now...the fiancee "doesn't" like that activity. But I have some friends who do.... :wink:

I had an issue with a pair of approach Asolo shoes. Contacted the distributor's office...said good things to the rep about boots and the company. He resolved the issue (new shoe laces). I have had a good experience with Asolo. Expensive, yes, but quality and durability is there. So I am loyal to them. Just don't know if the "newer" model is worth the $230 MSRP and I don't want to get a lemon because it is a new model.

Oh yeah...and nice avator! :wink: :beer: Your boat has a bit more webbing on it than mine :wink:

Grassi21

Oh yeah...and nice avator! :wink: :beer: Your boat has a bit more webbing on it than mine :wink:

Thanks. But its not all about the amount of webbing, its how you use it. ;-)

I've always heard good things about Asolo. Another great thing about AZ is that it helped me move passed the big name brands and look for quality. In most cases I can do a quick search and find what I need to know about outdoor gear. I way have skied like a gaper in the beginning of the season but I sure as hell didn't look like one.

MRGisevil

So what is difference (performance-wise, durability, stability, comfort) between this boot:

210220367_dkgraph_200.jpg

ASOLO Men's Powermatic 200 GV Boots, MSRP $230

More info is HERE.

And this boot (which I own an older model that needs replacing):

210164023_chestnut_400.jpg

ASOLO Men's TPS 520 GV Boots, MSRP $215.

More info is HERE.

Anyone have these boots? Anyone use them? I know more about the second one, since I have used them since 1999. But what about the new model?

Uhhh.... $15.00?? ;)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Verdict: went to EMS. Tried on many boots. Walked out with the 520, which as you all know, is what I've owned since 1999. Just got a new boot that fits better :wink: Difference between the Powermatic and the 520: color, one more cushion (little or no difference), and those pulleys (which made no difference and I could foresee getting broken or clogged with dirt/debris).

They also did not have my size in the Powermatics. The 520 was my preferred boot as it was....simple, built well, and mine have served me very well. $12 cheaper. That money went toward another toy.

They fit the boots to me...had to do some minor alterations, but all included in the price. That price was $172.

I also tried on the Montrail model they had as well as the EMS store model. In terms of fit, the 520 and Powermatic were the same. The Montrails were second....a bit stiffer. EMS was a third place model. Still too boxy of a fit for me and too basic...not as comfy as the Asolos.

Now to get back on the trails!

thetrailboss

Staff member
My feet were too narrow for them. So they got me a size up to accommodate that and they then had to fill in the volume for me, so there is a shim in the bottom.

Oh...and hiked 12.5 miles in them last weekend. MUCH better fit and MUCH better time. My feet were in great shape after those miles.

cbcbd

Does the boot tend to run wide? I usually need a wide size but sometimes the D size works because the D is running a little big. I guess I will have to try some on down at the store.
The Asolos tend to run narrow. If you're trying on boots I'd recommend you try the Vasque Breeze GTX in Wide or regular.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The Asolos tend to run narrow. If you're trying on boots I'd recommend you try the Vasque Breeze GTX in Wide or regular.

I had read that too...but the fitter at EMS said that Asolos "run wide" and I was :blink: but she fit me well...

Go figure. :-?

MichaelJ

Website
www.saletnik.org
Asolos have a EE available, actually. Not sure if the particular boot you're looking for has them, but I've been hiking in the FSN 95 GTX for about 5 years now, and I get them in wide.

The only drawback is that with the amount of hiking I do, I can wear down the sole in a year, and sometimes even blow out the stitching on the side of the ball of my foot, but these boots make my feet so happy that I've always been content replacing them annually.