• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bacon: Chewy or Crunchy?

drjeff

If I'm eating the bacon as a side to my eggs/pancakes/waffles/etc, then chewy.

If I'm putting it on a sandwich or such, then crunchy, but not to the point where that glorious pork product has become a carbon stick :eek:

Suddenly I'm getting hungry after reading this thread! :)

ctenidae

Depends on its intended purpose. With pancakes, just crispy enough to soak up some syrup, but pliable enough to mop it around a bit. With egg, just crispy enough on the edges to hold up a chunk of egg white with a dollop of yolk. In a BLT, just brittle enough to crack before it squishes the T, but not so brittle that it cracks and falls out. On chowder, crispy to the point you can break it up in one hand like a fistful of crackers (I find the best for chowder is to dice the bacon, then render low and slow until most of the fat comes out, then crank it up to get the bits good and crispy. Pull the bits for later sprinkling, use some of the grease to make a roux, and the rest to saute the veggies)

No matter what, mmmm, bacon.

jrmagic

Dang I didnt eat breakfast today this thread is making my stomach growl.

I have never met a piece of bacon I didnt like but my I like thick cut best and I prefer crunchy for breakfast or in chowder and chewy for BLTs and burgers.

BackLoafRiver

If I'm eating the bacon as a side to my eggs/pancakes/waffles/etc, then chewy.

If I'm putting it on a sandwich or such, then crunchy, but not to the point where that glorious pork product has become a carbon stick :eek:

Suddenly I'm getting hungry after reading this thread! :)

Agreed.

Not to start a whole discussion on style but I love Irish Rashers and how they are prepared. Very thick cut. Yum.