• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beijing - 1st Olympics 100% man made snow

JimG.

Staff member
You think this is about the Olympics? lol. Okay.

No. The Olympics is theater. Like a reality show. What she is doing is real world and not something I support. Not that my support matters there are plenty of fools who will cheer for her.

But I just don't really care. About anything that's related to the Olympics or these Machiavellian douchebags who want me to believe they are "leaders" or somehow benefit society. What a joke!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hmmm

I get paid quite well by a Chinese company. Much better than I would doing the same job for one of our American or European competitors.

Does that make me a supporter of genocide?

JimG.

Staff member
Hmmm

I get paid quite well by a Chinese company. Much better than I would doing the same job for one of our American or European competitors.

My question to you would be your opinion on how you would be treated by your Chinese employer if you were a vocal opponent of the human rights abuses the Chinese perpetrate. I'm talking about fundraising and organizing public opposition to those practices.

Do you think you would be punished or fired or do you think it would be ignored?

deadheadskier

Staff member
My question to you would be your opinion on how you would be treated by your Chinese employer if you were a vocal opponent of the human rights abuses the Chinese perpetrate. I'm talking about fundraising and organizing public opposition to those practices.

Do you think you would be punished or fired or do you think it would be ignored?

I'd likely be fired if as part of those efforts I identified myself as an employee of a Chinese company.

abc

I'd likely be fired if as part of those efforts I identified myself as an employee of a Chinese company.
I'd be fired if I identified myself as employee of my non-Chinese owned company in any kind of political! activity.

I'm free to engage in any political action as an individual. But I can't use the company's name in any of those activities. It's clearly spelled out in the policy.

That said, if your Chinese company fire you for political activity as an individual, it maybe against the law...

Last edited:

JimG.

Staff member
So you would remain anonymous if you were to protest.

I would not work for a company that denied me my right to my personal opinions and my right to express those opinions. To me silence is tacit approval.

deadheadskier

Staff member
So you would remain anonymous if you were to protest.

I would not work for a company that denied me my right to my personal opinions and my right to express those opinions. To me silence is tacit approval.

Well, I'm generally not one to join in any sort of protest. So, this honestly doesn't really apply to me.

Fact is the world is full of multinational companies and many of them from China. I do interface with my Chinese colleagues quite regularly, but the conversations are 100% business related.

Domeskier

Well, I'm generally not one to join in any sort of protest. So, this honestly doesn't really apply to me.

Fact is the world is full of multinational companies and many of them from China. I do interface with my Chinese colleagues quite regularly, but the conversations are 100% business related.
For what it's worth, there are quite a few opinions that employees of non-Chinese companies should probably keep private too if they don't want to be chased out of their jobs by irate twitter mobs. In any event, China is such a huge part of the international economy that most multinational companies (and their customers) can arguably be accused of propping up the regime regardless of who ultimately owns them.

BenedictGomez

The problem isn't so much American companies selling a product in China, the problem is American companies bowing to whatever demand(s) the Communist government imposes on them to do so. Fortunately, American citizens are finally waking-up to this realization, becoming well-educated on the matter, and in bipartisan fashion to boot. It makes me hopeful when I see the fairly large backlash the KO, DIS, and NBAs of the world are getting for Xi bootlicking.

Hell, even the sponsors who paid millions to sponsor the Beijing Olympics have basically bowed out = big piles of wasted money and getting nothing in return. The ones who have made use of their "sponsorship" are doing so without mentioning the word "China" or "Beijing" if you're paying close attention, and this is not normal. These spots usually always say something like, "Official sponsor of the London game" etc.... Not this time!

Last edited:

jimk

Wow, I never thought about certain physical risks that come with being world class athletes/racers in Winter Olympic competitions:

BTW, I haven't watched a single second of the Winter Olympics this time around. But I did ski eight days myself with a road trip to San Diego and Las Vegas sandwiched in the middle between the opening and closing Olympic ceremonies.

abc

BTW, I haven't watched a single second of the Winter Olympics this time around. But I did ski eight days myself with a road trip to San Diego and Las Vegas sandwiched in the middle between the opening and closing Olympic ceremonies.
I lucked out with my plan to cross country ski in Canada during a portion of the Olympics. Got to watch the rest of the world athletes in the Olympics (not just Americans) made the trip doubly enjoyable. The skiing aren't bad either. (except them anti-vaxxers protects shut us out of the restaurants in downtown Ottawa -- frist world problems)

Alex.moon

Hmmm

I think it's not surprising. China is developing rapidly