• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Beijing - 1st Olympics 100% man made snow

skimagic

Another reason to not watch the olympics, Snowboarder Julia Marino wasn't allowed to use her Prada Snowboard in the upcoming Big Air event without covering the word Prada on the bottom. So a cover is put on it which changed the boards performance causing her to fall, get injured during a training run, and then pulls out of the event.

I really don't get this since Chloe Kim had ROXY visible on her board. Do skiers have the manufacturer visible on their skis?

KustyTheKlown

im no expert on snowboards, but prada is a luxury fashion brand. i know they make goggles, which kind of tracks because they make sunglasses, but i'd be surprised if they are the manufacturer of a snowboard. in which case the prada on the board would be an advertisement, not just the manufacturer of the equipment.

that's total conjecture tho. prada may make snowboards. pretty weird if they did. imma google it.

edit - they do make a snowboard. and the goggles are oakley prisms with a prada strap. fancy.

JimG.

Staff member
Look, the Russian 15 year old girl tested positive for a heart medication. Now, I don't know if she ever got Covid but that can cause Myocarditis. So is it possible she suffered from that and physicians recommended the drug to help alleviate that? I think we need more context before crucifying her and her coaches. Now, if there was no medical reason to take the drug, well then we have a different story. But I have heard nothing about her medical history so I'll reserve judgement until the hearing.
Really?

Not to worry the whole sorry situation has been explained by the Russians. She drank from a glass her grandfather, who conveniently takes this very banned substance, drank from and she ingested the high levels of this forbidden drug from his traces of saliva on the glass.

I have a nice bridge for sale if you are interested. The Olympics are a total joke.

BenedictGomez

Post 218 looks pretty good again.

EDIT: And unfortunately Post 97 too. Geez I feel horrible for her. Tonight was a cake walk to gold too given the results after the Downhill run. This is 100% mental.

Last edited:

machski

Post 218 looks pretty good again.

EDIT: And unfortunately Post 97 too. Geez I feel horrible for her. Tonight was a cake walk to gold too given the results after the Downhill run. This is 100% mental.
Man, this has been brutal. Super nice interview with Gisin post race and super gracious gesture in seeking out MS after her win and giving her a huge hug. She will bounce back. Kind of starting to wonder if gear setup by the US the may have played a part here. Only one of 4 US women finished the Slalom portion.

fbrissette

Contrastingly, what makes the Gu situation so abnormal & bizarre is that unlike all these situations we're accustomed to in the above, she is literally the best in the world & easily would qualify for the nation she's really from. It's nakedly obvious the decision to represent China is solely to squeeze out several more million dollars, even if that means renouncing US citizenship, turning her back on America, and (IMO) worst of all, representing a Communist nation guilty of daily horrific atrocities.
From everything that has transpired in the media, it's fair to guess that it's very unlikely that she has surrendred her US password, and that China has agreed to an exceptional measure of dual citizenship provided that Gu would not acknoledge this publicly. I've spent quite a big of time in China for my work, and I can't fathom why any educated wealthy person (which Gu is by any standard) would trade a US passport (or any top western passport) for a Chinese one for more money, no matter how obscene the amount.

Domeskier

From everything that has transpired in the media, it's fair to guess that it's very unlikely that she has surrendred her US password, and that China has agreed to an exceptional measure of dual citizenship provided that Gu would not acknoledge this publicly. I've spent quite a big of time in China for my work, and I can't fathom why any educated wealthy person (which Gu is by any standard) would trade a US passport (or any top western passport) for a Chinese one for more money, no matter how obscene the amount.
One of the US hockey guys playing for China confirmed he was not required to give up his US citizenship. I would be amazed if she didn't get the same deal. Seems to be some minor backlash against her in Chinese social media for her preferential treatment, especially when she condescendingly told her critics to download a VPN if they wanted the same e-freedom she has (before the government censored the post, at least...).

JimG.

Staff member
One of the US hockey guys playing for China confirmed he was not required to give up his US citizenship. I would be amazed if she didn't get the same deal. Seems to be some minor backlash against her in Chinese social media for her preferential treatment, especially when she condescendingly told her critics to download a VPN if they wanted the same e-freedom she has (before the government censored the post, at least...).
She is pretty clueless. Even for an elite teenager.

Guless?

BenedictGomez

From everything that has transpired in the media, it's fair to guess that it's very unlikely that she has surrendred her US password, and that China has agreed to an exceptional measure of dual citizenship provided that Gu would not acknoledge this publicly.

If true,that would just be the cherry on top of her being a terrible person. Cant let the peasants, the commoners, and the enslaved know I'm receiving preferential treatment.

BenedictGomez

She is pretty clueless. Even for an elite teenager.

Clueless? Far from it, she's calculating, remorseless, and methodical. Screw human rights, screw murder, screw slavery, and screw your country. Go for the big bags of money. Bonus points for saying this odd decision is because actually, you're also Mother Theresa.

JimG.

Staff member
Clueless? Far from it, she's calculating, remorseless, and methodical. Screw human rights, screw murder, screw slavery, and screw your country. Go for the big bags of money. Bonus points for saying this odd decision is because actually, you're also Mother Theresa.
Or I could go completely over the top like you did.

I just don't care enough about her or the Olympics in general to get as worked up as you.

The opposite of love is not hate...it is indifference.

BenedictGomez

I just don't care enough about her or the Olympics in general to get as worked up as you.

You think this is about the Olympics? lol. Okay.