• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bell ski in catskills

ne_skier

Saw a pair of skis and poles didn't think much about that until I heard shouting. Completely overlooked the closed sign and a patroller belonged to those skis. Doh! Anyway I started to skate back and he asked what I was doing so I told him. He was extremely cool about it and said to go ahead but that it was still bony. He was right and I just bagged it and called it a day.
Belleayre and Plattekill are both pretty chill in terms of ducking ropes. A patroller did yell at me for poaching Cathedral Brook one time, but considering every other patroller has confirmed that rope-ducking is permitted and there were about 20 racers and their instructors coming down behind us, I think we were fine.

curlyfuzzie

Between the Catskill and Adirondack Parks
Just like they didn’t bother cutting up the down trees on cathedral brook. Or cleaning the lifts so they can open on time during a snow storm. Or mowing the brush off some of the tops of trails. Or having early season volunteer glade clearing like they used to. We cut dreamcatcher a few years back; that was all volunteers and one employee with a chain saw.

Its a real shame what they‘ve done to the place in just a matter of a few years. But don’t worry, it’s not just skiers that are unhappy. Many experienced employees have left due to the treatment received, and morale is at an all time low. Belle used to be a lot of fun, these days not so much. Right now there are actually two runs with bumps on them which is more than there has been. Maybe they’re listening? I doubt it, they’ll probably be mowed down at the first sight of any unfavorable weather. But I can only hope they’ll stay. It seems like every week there’s another story out about things getting screwed up there.

Upper lift line used to be maintained and open. It was a lot of fun. That was back when Belleayre had a variety of terrain to suit all levels of skiers and advertised that. I last skied it probably 3 or 4 years ago and the brush was quite high/thick then.
Maybe maintenance went to hell when NYS moved Bell from DEC to the Olympic Authority? I used to ski it during "DEC day"with a friend working in the Department, as well as the $25 "Skier Appreciation Days". Been a few years since then.
On another note, is the old rumor that they're planning on expanding Belleayre into the former Highmont area true? I've been hearing that for years, too.

Bandit2941

Everying was fantastic yesterday. Good, but not as good today.

This storm is gonna make conditions unreal all over the catskills. And the late week storm seems to be shifting from rain/snow to all snow...
Agreed. Yesterday was perfect, today good but not as. This snow coming should be awesome but with the wind the top 1/3 of the tops will get blown off. Will be there tomorrow early and hopefully Tuesday too if work gets closed. The late week storm was looking bad but has been trending much better.

tnt1234

Saturday was great. Unfortunately, with snow moving into NJ today, we couldn't afford to get stuck up there today so we had to come home last night.

That was an all time day. Dreamcatcher was awesome. Bumps all over the mountain. Tree shots every which way. Winnisoka (sp?) was great...cathedral brook sublime....conditions are insanely good right now.

tnt1234

Anyone ever ski Cathral Brook>Glenn, down to Pine Hill?

Seems like the year to try it.